Greek incident- strike or riot? How do you think the insurance companies are

stipmom

For cancellation coverage purposes, I'd call it a strike. If you are injured in the ensuing meyhem, I'd call that a riot.

Since labor strikes aren't supposed to be violent, if you get hurt, it's perfectly reasonable to call that a riot (and not under strike coverage.)

Most (all?) policies exclude injuries sustained in a riot, while many will cover cancellations due to strikes.

SirWired

handling it. It started off as a planned stike but I believe it ended more like a riot.

Each plan has a definition of "strike" and they can vary quite a bit. For example here's from Travelex:

"Strike: means any unannounced labor disagreement that interferes with the normal departure and arrival of a Common Carrier."

Here's from Travel Guard:

""Strike" means a stoppage of work:

(1) announced, organized, and sanctioned by a labor union and

(2) which interferes with the normal departure and arrival of a Common Carrier.

This includes work slowdowns and sickouts. The Insured's Trip cancellation coverage must be effective prior to when the Strike is foreseeable. A Strike is foreseeable on the date labor union members vote to approve a Strike"

The first covers "unannounced" and the second "announced" labor actions. Either way, coverage would depend on whether or not what is going on meets the definition in the plan wording. If there is disagreement between the insurer and the insured the determination may up being made by a third-party arbitrator and/or your state insurance department dispute resolution process.

As far as the medical coverage, yes you could be denied coverage if you are a participant in a riot (no insurer covers for injuries received during the commission of a crime) but if you were an innocent victim/bystander you would be covered the same as you would be covered if injured in a mugging.

As far as the medical coverage, yes you could be denied coverage if you are a participant in a riot (no insurer covers for injuries received during the commission of a crime) but if you were an innocent victim/bystander you would be covered the same as you would be covered if injured in a mugging.

The TravelGuard exclusions explicitly state:

(e) war or act of war, whether declared or not, civil disorder, riot,

or insurrection;

And I'm pretty sure it's a standard exclusion.

When they mean "participation" they explicitly say it. For instance, the "professional sports" exclusion: "© participation in professional athletic events, motor sport, or motor racing, including training or practice for the same;"

I take this to mean: Don't get caught in a riot, because you are going to be SOL.

SirWired

Archived