Live from the Ocean Princess - West Africa May 7

paul929207

We are not actually on the ship yet, we are still in our hotel about 1/2 mile from the pier. We have a car arranged for 10:30am (2+ hours from now) to take us to the ship.

Last night some from our roll call got an early start. 10 of us met for dinner at a restaurant at the waterfront. Since non of the couples knew any of the others, it was a nice chance to start meeting the people we have been talking with for up to two years.

The ship will be overnighting in Cape Town and sailing late tomorrow afternoon.

If you have a question, post it and I will try to ansewer it.

I'd be interested in hearing about your shore excursions, whether through the ship or on you own. This is a fantasy cruise so I might as well live vicariously through you! Also, what you thought about the locations. Can you please list your ports? Have fun!

Hi Paul - We tried to book this trip but it was fully booked. Do you know if Princess will be doing this cruise in 2011? We have no information available yet in the UK and Princess will only tell me to wait for the brochure :(. If they're not we can look at doing something else. Many thanks.

We are on the OP in June this year so will be following your trip. Have a great time (she's says, with envy):D.

Brenda

Enjoy this wonderful adventure.

Do tell us all about the ship plus food because will be meeting you both in April 2011 on this ship for another great trip.:D

Bon voyage..........Heather:)

Bon Voyage Paul

and to everyone else on this fabulous cruise,

to far away places with strange sounding names...

what a voyage,

what an adventure....

5oceanprincessmap.jpg

5oceanprincessitinerary.jpg

All I can say is WOW. Have a great cruise Paul and Paul's wife

We are on the Ocean Princess. Checkin started about 11:45 and we were in our cabin about 12:05. Princess has allowed people with late flights to use the ship, but not their cabins for the day. One of the restaurants is full of their carryon bags.

We will be docked here in Cape Town until tomorrow afternoon. Docked next to us is the Rising Sun, a private yacht owned by Larry Ellison, the founder & CEO of Oracle Corporation.

Thursday night, we had dinner with four couples I met on the internet. None of us had met any of the other couples before. We picked a place near where our ship is docked and had a great time.

The weather in Cape Town was dreary the first couple of days buy has been wonderful since. It was about 70 when we sailed Saturday evening. Today (Sunday) is a sea day. It is raining on and off and the water is quite choppy. The pool deck and the walking track are both closed because of the high winds.

To try some of the questions.

Itinerary - Someone posted it above. Thanks for saving me the typing of it.

Tours in Cape Town - We were here twice before, so we did not take any tours. I know some went to Table Mountains and others the the Cape Of Good Hope and both were enjoyed.

Good morning Paul - thanks for this live thread.

We will be on the OP Nov. 21 - Capetown to Bangkok and would really appreciate if you could find out whether Susan Rawlings (sp?) CD and Shane, ACD, will still be on board?

Also, when we were on the OP in December, Shanghai to Bangkok, the head chef was Australian and his interpretation of Princess menus was great. It was far and away the best food we have ever had on a Princess ship - HOPEFULLY HE IS STILL ON BOARD:confused: The German pastry chef was also wonderful and kept offering to make the best potato latkes for us again and again.

On another note, we sailed the West Africa itinerary about eight years ago starting in Istanbul and finishing in Capetown. Two of the highlights were Goree Island in Senegal and a Princess arranged voodoo tour (can't remember whether it was in Togo or Benin.

ENJOY AND LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR CONTINUING POSTING

Lynne

Archived