Live from the Ocean Princess - West Africa May 7

paul929207

We were om OCEAN PRINCESS from Singapore to Okinawa on her first trip under the new name (ex -TAHITIAN PRINCESS) in December 2009. I agree the food was probably the best we have had on a Princess cruise. The entire ship was very well run - the Captain seemed to appear anywhere and everywhere day and night. I will post a trip report when I finally get around to completion.

We did a similar (CPT/Rome) Itinerary on the original 'Love Boat' many years ago - one of our favorite cruises! (We arranged 'private' pick-up and touring at all Port Stops - we shared with another couple met onboard - ) it took LOTS of planning, but was so worth the effort! Brought home 'monkey heads', (bought at the Voodoo Market) - (the grandson's best presents ever!)

From Casablanca - we hired a car w/driver & guide and went to Marrakesh (lunched at La Mamunia) (sp?)!

Thanks for doing 'Live' - enjoy, enjoy!

we have cruising friends on this same cruise...Kajo and Sabine...from Germany...I hope you get a chance to meet them..they are wonderful!! Sabine's English is better than Kajo's...(but since I have NO German) I'm so happy to be able to communicate because of their skill levels....and it is a wonderful chance to make new friends whenever we cruise! Enjoy and I'll keep up with your progress...and look out for those 2 great buddies...Kajo is very tall...with white hair and Sabine is much shorter with short, light red/brown hair...quite the couple!! LuAnn

we have cruising friends on this same cruise...Kajo and Sabine...from Germany...I hope you get a chance to meet them..they are wonderful!! LuAnn

Hi LuAnn,

what a small world!

I got an Email from him today telling that they had a wonderful time in CPT.

I will meet them in CGN on June 11th when I will return to Germany from my cruise on HAL´s Noordam from Spain to CPT.

So I will be very interested in this blog.

Peter

-

Good morning Paul - thanks for this live thread.

We will be on the OP Nov. 21 - Capetown to Bangkok and would really appreciate if you could find out whether Susan Rawlings (sp?) CD and Shane, ACD, will still be on board?

Also, when we were on the OP in December, Shanghai to Bangkok, the head chef was Australian and his interpretation of Princess menus was great. It was far and away the best food we have ever had on a Princess ship - HOPEFULLY HE IS STILL ON BOARD:confused: The German pastry chef was also wonderful and kept offering to make the best potato latkes for us again and again.

On another note, we sailed the West Africa itinerary about eight years ago starting in Istanbul and finishing in Capetown. Two of the highlights were Goree Island in Senegal and a Princess arranged voodoo tour (can't remember whether it was in Togo or Benin.

ENJOY AND LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR CONTINUING POSTING

Lynne

Thanks for the suggestions.

An Australian is the Head Chef currently.

HI Paul!

I have a question about the Bistro Dining on the Ocean...if you forego eating in the dining room on formal night, is the same menu served in the Bistro Dining area? (we are considering not bringing formal clothes to save space).

Thanks!

Now for an update.

Yesterday was Luderitz, Namibia. Not a very exciting place. We (and about 1/2 the ship) just walked around the city. Took about 1 hour.

Today, we spent in Walvis Bay, Namibia. This is Namibia’s largest seaport. Most of Namibia is in the Namib Dessert. We spent the day on a tour to Sandwich Harbor. Other than the first and last couple of minutes, we were off the road the whole trip. The scenery was breathtaking.

Is the food good? Suppose an Ozzy Barbecue will be in the works on a sea day:D Ask him if he will be our chef fo April 2011?

Hope you are taking some pictures for us to see from this trip enjoy......Kruisey:)

I agree with Pam, I'm so jealous that you are doing this amazing cruise! :rolleyes::p

kiwi...thank you for posting the itinerary, what a dream cruise.

Colo, thanks for the web cam. I love seeing the "ship's" point of view.

Does anyone who did this cruise before have any pictures they can share? I would love to see what Paul is seeing.

Paul keep up the good work! I can't wait to read more!

HI Paul!

I have a question about the Bistro Dining on the Ocean...if you forego eating in the dining room on formal night, is the same menu served in the Bistro Dining area?

No. They have their own menu which is the same every evening with the possibility of a special item or two.

Now for an update.

Yesterday was Luderitz, Namibia. Not a very exciting place. We (and about 1/2 the ship) just walked around the city. Took about 1 hour.

Today, we spent in Walvis Bay, Namibia. This is Namibia’s largest seaport. Most of Namibia is in the Namib Dessert. We spent the day on a tour to Sandwich Harbor. Other than the first and last couple of minutes, we were off the road the whole trip. The scenery was breathtaking.

Paul - did you go on a ship tour in Namibia or line up your own guide? If you went with you own guide do you have any information on how I could contact him? Thanks - Really appreciate hearing your reports as we plan for our cruise.

Good news about the head Chef. There might be some decent bacon for breakfast if thats the case !:D:D:D

Paul - did you go on a ship tour in Namibia or line up your own guide? If you went with you own guide do you have any information on how I could contact him? Thanks - Really appreciate hearing your reports as we plan for our cruise.

In Luderitz, we did not take a tour, we spent an hour or so walking around the town.

In Walvis Bay, we took a private tour with others from our roll call. We went to Sandwich Harbor with Touchstone Tours Email is turn@iafrica.com.na

In Luderitz, we did not take a tour, we spent an hour or so walking around the town.

In Walvis Bay, we took a private tour with others from our roll call. We went to Sandwich Harbor with Touchstone Tours Email is turn@iafrica.com.na

Dinner has been changed from 5:45 and 8:00 last fall to 6:00 and 8:15.

They have had trivia twice a day, even on port days. Bridge is played every afternoon on sea days, plus we played the day we sailed from Luderitz at 2pm.

On any Sundays at sea, the buffet is open for breakfast for 6 to noon. Sunday Brunch is served in the dining room from about 10 to 2. A light lunch is served at the buffet from 1:30 to 5. The pizzeria and grill are open normal hours.

We have been at sea for the last two days and two more before we get to Benin

Paul929207,

Have just joined cruisecritic, and we are currently on Ocean Princess. Are there any shore excursions available for us to join? Or can you refer us to other contacts onboard Ocean who may be able to help as we missed the first day when everyone gathered after departure from Capetown.

Thanks.

Plettenberg

Hiya

I am considering going on Ocean Princess in June to Norway,Scotland Iceland Greenland Nfld and back to New York

How is the ship?

PICTURES?????

Is Ov OK??? I cannot afford a balcony

Your opinion on impact of spewing volcano

Help please?

Michele

Archived