Live from the Ocean Princess - West Africa May 7

paul929207

I just looked outside (6:45am London time) and there are the white cliffs.

Thats great Paul. We had a pre cruise stay in a B&B (Bed and Breakfast) in Dover before a Baltic cruise, and wandered all around those white cliffs and up to the Castle. Just loved the real feel of Dover as a town.

Didn't see any bluebirds though:D

In addition to trivia, we also play duplicate bridge on sea days, so we gave the bridge director most of the junk to give as prizes.

That's a great idea - we gave much of extra junk to other trivia players and our dinner table mates. I find it funny that those bags are 5 credits each since we won about 14 of them on our last cruise.

Sorry we haven't been keeping up (we were away) but must advise those doing this itinerary in the future to plan and do your homework in advance, from home, or you will miss memorable sites.

From Luderitz - a 'don't miss' is touring the 'restricted' Diamond mines, (you must arrange & leave passport info. 48 hrs. in advance for admittance), & Kolmanskopf, the old mining town buried in the sand (amazing site!), the original home/Castle of the Town Founder, Pelican Point etc. etc. From Walvis Bay you can arrange a tour of Namib Desert Park, see miles of amazing sand dunes & ride a dune buggy (astronaughts (sp?) train here for the Mars mission), hear an explanation of the ecology and plant life of the desert, see Welwitschia plants that are 2500 years old - we enjoyed a wonderful picnic under a rock outcrop - and then visited Swakepmund town center & so much more - How can anyone say there was little to see in these 2 ports??? :confused:

Up the West African coastline, we were met by a/c car and local private driver/guides in each port and traveled in comfort and at our own pace with another couple. We experienced all the unbelieveable sights, sounds and smells in both Benin & Togo (as described in previous posts); our day in Accra/Ghanna was memorable as our 'guide' was the head of security for a large aluminum company and knew many important locals so we were able to visit the home of the President, the local cabinet housings in addition to the local street market, University & Stadium and even met his 'wives' (yes - plural) and were welcomed into his home. All our tours and arrangements were made by Internet/fax from home - each Port was thoroughly researched beforehand and made this fascinating itinerary a most memorable cruise experience.

At sea days, food, shows, trivia, etc. pale in comparison to the sites on this fascinating, different itinerary - do the work and enjoy the Ports.....JMHO.....;)

I thoroughly agree with you about researching from home. We are doing a similar cruise in October. Could you share information on some of the guides, drivers etc. you used on your cruise. It would be much appreciated. Thank You

• 2 months later...
To try some of the questions.

Itinerary - Someone posted it above. Thanks for saving me the typing of it.

Tours in Cape Town - We were here twice before, so we did not take any tours. I know some went to Table Mountains and others the the Cape Of Good Hope and both were enjoyed.

Hi Paul, I found your thread... I will read it entirely, tomorrow. I am so glad!

What did you do while in Cape Town? Relaxed in V&A Waterfront? Tea at Hotel Mount Nelson? Botanical gardens? city center? May be I will have the answer by reading the rest... I have so many questions...

Monique

Hi Monique,

This was our third time in Cape Town in the last three years. We had done most of the touristy things the first time. We mostly relaxed at the V&A Waterfront. Met four couples from our Roll Call the night before we boarded for dinner.

Hi Monique,

This was our third time in Cape Town in the last three years. We had done most of the touristy things the first time. We mostly relaxed at the V&A Waterfront. Met four couples from our Roll Call the night before we boarded for dinner.

Paul, (who never seems to sleep ;)) this just popped up on my UCP. And since I don't want to read through again, did you mention going to Hermanus? We had a great time up there the last time we were in Capetown.

Did somebody go to Hermanus? Can you recommend a tour company? I want to go but haven't found the appropriate tour (one day from Capetown, single person - via Betty's Bay).

We did have a private tour; for four. Unfortunately the other couple arranged it and I didn't pay much attention. Absolutely try to get there. It's an experience just listening to and watching the whale watcher. :)

Did somebody go to Hermanus? Can you recommend a tour company? I want to go but haven't found the appropriate tour (one day from Capetown, single person - via Betty's Bay).

I would like to visit Hermanus too. I already visited Cape Town and the Cape Peninsula on a previous trip, but never went to Hermanus yet.

I know that Springbok Atlas organizes several day tours and private excursions from Cape Town, including a Full Day Hermanus Tour for R 680 pp (appr. 95US$) on certain days only. You can check on their site. I took many tours across South Africa with that operator, they were excellent.

I would like to visit Hermanus too. I already visited Cape Town and the Cape Peninsula on a previous trip, but never went to Hermanus yet.

I know that Springbok Atlas organizes several day tours and private excursions from Cape Town, including a Full Day Hermanus Tour for R 680 pp (appr. 95US$) on certain days only. You can check on their site. I took many tours across South Africa with that operator, they were excellent.

Sorry people. I've looked through a whole lot of stuff to see if I could locate the name of the person who did our Cape Town tours. Can find anything. I also recommend, besides going to Hermanus, take the HOHO bus in Cape Town. Get the earliest bus so you have the whole day to explore.

.... must advise those doing this itinerary in the future to plan and do your homework in advance, from home, or you will miss memorable sites................................ ;)

Hi GottoCruise,

Thanks for your advice. Did you post any report about your excursions during your cuise in West Africa? I looked in your profile and can't find it. Thanks in advance.

Hi Paul! Wasn't that the best cruise! It was certainly a unique itinerary and we had some terrific CCer's aboard. We had so much fun and enjoyed learning about the African culture in each country we visited. Say hello to Jeanie for us.

Hi Paul! Wasn't that the best cruise! It was certainly a unique itinerary and we had some terrific CCer's aboard. We had so much fun and enjoyed learning about the African culture in each country we visited. Say hello to Jeanie for us.

Jeannie says Hi to you.

I thought one of the great things about the cruise was the group we had on the Roll Call. We all got along so well. Which was good since we had so many private tours together.

We used Turnstone Tours in Walvis Bay Namibia. That is the only one I planned. Today's tour was with Tilly's Tours.

Hi Paul,

I read your report completely - bravo - I admire your diligence, and thank you so much! I have a hard time finding any other thread or review about those West Africa ports of call, a new destination for us.

Could you compare the price of those tours with those of Princess' shore excursions (~140US$ pp which include - and this is a huge + for me in those countries - an insurance ;) not to miss the boat...)?

Monique

FYI, there is a VERY negative thread just started by someone who was on the Ocean in early May... ................

Hi sunsetbeachgal,

Are you talking about the review by Suncitygaltx?

If not, could you tell me where or how I can find this thread, please?

Monique

Hi sunsetbeachgal,

Are you talking about the review by Suncitygaltx?

If not, could you tell me where or how I can find this thread, please?

Monique

I would be interested to see the thread too. I was on from May 7 to June 7. We had a wonderful time.

Archived