Island Wings tour - will we make it back to ship in time?

tpginger

We want to schedule a floatplane tour with Michelle at Island Wings. They have a 10:00 - 12:00 tour available. Our ship leaves at 1:00 which I think means we need to board by 12:30. Are we cutting it too close? I understand they are quite close to the pier - I just don't want the last part of my tour to be ruined because I have gone into panic mode about making it back. Thanks.

Talk to Shona or Michelle at Island Wings. They will not take the reservation, if they thought you would miss the boat. We are scheduled with them from 12:00-2:00, and our ship sails at 3:00 (2:30 all aboard). They told us that it would not be a problem.

I've asked two different tour operators out of Ketchikan if they could get me back in time for ship departure. We get into Ketchikan at 7am and the ship leaves at 12:30pm that same day. So far, I get either NO, we can't do it or probably not, as a response. I am a biologist and dearly would like to go to Anan Creek not only for the Brown Bear fishing for salmon but also because they spend more time on the ground compared to Princess Cruise proprietary cruises that I can book. Cost is about the same but that is not the issue. The Princess bear watch does involve a float plane but you only spend about 1.5 hours on the ground as compared to 3 hours with Island Wings or Taquan Tours. And Princess does not go to Anan Creek and only black bear is the main attraction. Both Island Wings and Taquan do go to Anan. SO, if anyone knows anything more positive about being able to get back in time please let me know.

Thanks,

Kamerakid

We are booked for 12-2, with the ship leaving at 3.

Directly from my confirmation email, they replied:

"We book an entire summers worth of cruise ship visitors to within 1 hour of the ships arrival and 1 hour of the ships departure. Knock on wood for us somewhere; in 17 years of flying cruise ship passengers, we have not missed the sailing of a single ship!"

I've asked two different tour operators out of Ketchikan if they could get me back in time for ship departure. We get into Ketchikan at 7am and the ship leaves at 12:30pm that same day. So far, I get either NO, we can't do it or probably not, as a response.

Well, if the operator told you no or probably not, that is your answer right there.

Other operators? Others on your roll call who are interested and you can charter a plane? Other creative solutions?

I agree with jlijny! Michelle's livelihood depends upon cruise ship passengers and she's not going to damage her reputation by getting you back too late for boarding the ship. I don't know if this is a true fact, but it is my understanding that she has never caused a passenger to miss the ship. If she says that there is no problem, then relax and enjoy your excursion.:) I know that I will when we fly with her this July.:D:cool:

Cruisin' Mama

They will not book you if they don't think they can get you back in time. Unless there is some problem with the plane, which is unlikely, you should be fine. This goes for any tour you take. Even if you rent a car, there could be a bad accident blocking a road and you could end up missing your ship. Only you can decide how comfortable you are with that scenerio. I know my sister went with Island Wings and opted for the morning, because of your same concern. Unfortunately she had a foggy morning. Had she taken the afternoon flight it would have been sunny. You just never know these things.

I am having similar problem planning our trip in Hawaii. We are renting cars and the islands are full of two lane roads. If there were to be a bad accident, we could end up missing the ship. I am just not going to worry too much. I am padding my return times in hopes that it will not be a problem. If we have a problem, we will make the best of it. What else can we do? We can choose to be miserable or choose to look at it as an adventure. I will look at it as an adventure. I hope. ;)

I've asked two different tour operators out of Ketchikan if they could get me back in time for ship departure. We get into Ketchikan at 7am and the ship leaves at 12:30pm that same day. So far, I get either NO, we can't do it or probably not, as a response. I am a biologist and dearly would like to go to Anan Creek not only for the Brown Bear fishing for salmon but also because they spend more time on the ground compared to Princess Cruise proprietary cruises that I can book. Cost is about the same but that is not the issue. The Princess bear watch does involve a float plane but you only spend about 1.5 hours on the ground as compared to 3 hours with Island Wings or Taquan Tours. And Princess does not go to Anan Creek and only black bear is the main attraction. Both Island Wings and Taquan do go to Anan. SO, if anyone knows anything more positive about being able to get back in time please let me know.

Thanks,

Kamerakid

Sorry, but you have your answer. You do NOT have time for Anan. IF that is a priority, then you are going to have look more closely at your next booking, UNLESS, you opt to change your choice NOW, AND select a cruise with the adquate port time.

Anan, is all about having the TIME there, you do not have it. Anan is likely to be only blacks. IF you want the browns, then look at Pack Creek out of Juneau. With the very limited port times, yes something has to "go".

WHERE does Taquan take you, and WHEN are you there?

Archived