New Drink Packages??

guyver

Thank you for the info. Adding the 15% gratuity, my martini of choice would be almost $10 so I would definitely consider the premium package. Of course it helps that my husband doesn't drink. Adding $394 sounds so much better than $784.

I am not sure, but I think you would still have to add the 15% to package as well as individual, but yes, devide it by 2 and it does sound better. I probably should pull out our bill from or Pearl cruise and see exactly how much we did spend. I know it wasn't that much.

Nita

My understanding is: NCL isn't even thinking of implementing this right now, it is Celebrity that is adding the drink package. Many have said they would like to see NCL do somehing like this as well.

Nita

NCL already has a plan like this, you need 20 people min. and i'm just guessing it's about $46 pp per day, and this is not a premium package.

NCL already has a plan like this, you need 20 people min. and i'm just guessing it's about $46 pp per day, and this is not a premium package.

oh, I know that, but you do have to have a group of 20 or more, like you said, thus I don't really think this fits most of us.

Nita

NCL already offers these alcohol packages for groups of 20 or more.Great deal if you've got a big group(33) like we had 2 cruises ago that likes to party so I look for them to follow suit and offer the packages on an individual basis. At least I hope so. Without the package I've seen bar tabs over $900 for more than a few people in our smaller groups.

I am part of a package on an upcoming cruise with NCL that includes unlimited alcohol. The entire group must purchase the package and they just include it in the cost of the cruise.

We think it is worth it because we do enjoy several different drinks during the day and night and we have been hit with the surprize larger than expected bill on the last night :)

IMO if it's offered and not mandatory then that would be the way to go - get it if you want or skip it if you don't

f

My understanding is: NCL isn't even thinking of implementing this right now, it is Celebrity that is adding the drink package. Many have said they would like to see NCL do somehing like this as well.

Nita

You are correct Nita. I only started this thread because many times, once one of the lines do something, others seem to follow in some fashion. Think freestyle.

I agree that these packages are not for everybody. Waste of good money for light or non drinkers.

Myself, I would have to do some number crunching because we do utilize the bar setup program and enjoy having drinks on our balcony.

At first glance, these types of packages look like a good idea for some people... could be enticing if they were offered...

However, I wonder if you would start to get less service if your bar servers know you have an alcohol plan (ie like the soda card)? Generally it seems to make a dent in the opportunity for tips and sales , so you might get less attention up on the pool deck... I know that sometimes that happens when you have the soda card plan...

Like anything else on board... it can't ruin your cruise experience if you choose not to purchase it. Obviously it would be an individual choice much like choosing to buy pictures or not..

As for creating more drunks, I am not sure that would be the case, as regardless of the lower cost, you still have to be served, and if you are out of control, you won't be... same as today. The same safety issue exists as far as the crew is concerned.

You are correct Nita. I only started this thread because many times, once one of the lines do something, others seem to follow in some fashion. Think freestyle.

I agree that these packages are not for everybody. Waste of good money for light or non drinkers.

Myself, I would have to do some number crunching because we do utilize the bar setup program and enjoy having drinks on our balcony.

us too, we like our bar set up so I am not sure. Still, I think, for us, we wouldn't bother, certainly we wouldn't want a deluxe package as we would still have a bottle in our cabins.

Nita

I know my wife and I could make use if this...like others have said, if you don't think you would use it that's no reason to flame it. I am very surprised by all the negative comments about this. Just like anything, the value of anything is different for each person. The only question is, "does it work for you?"

Just my .02 cents.

I think for us this could be a good value as we have a bottle of wine with dinner($40.00 to $50.00) every night, plus our before dinner drinks, pool drinks, after dinner drinks, dance the night away drinks, buy friends drinks, bar set-up drinks---not to mention morning special coffee drinks and we don't actually drink much---at home!!;)

we don't actually drink much---at home!!;)

LOL 'retiredonthesea', sounds exactly like us! ;) As Madame Clicquot famously said:

“I drink champagne when I’m happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty.” :)

I would be very interested in a drinks package and would be happy to see it offered onboard.

I think for us this could be a good value as we have a bottle of wine with dinner($40.00 to $50.00) every night, plus our before dinner drinks, pool drinks, after dinner drinks, dance the night away drinks, buy friends drinks, bar set-up drinks---not to mention morning special coffee drinks and we don't actually drink much---at home!!;)

My guess, and I don't know for sure, you would not be able to order a $40.00 bottle of wine, it would be their lower price house wine. There would also be a limited choice in drinks I am guessing. I could be wrong, would love to hear back from someone after they do the bar package with a group.

Nita

LOL 'retiredonthesea', sounds exactly like us! ;) As Madame Clicquot famously said:

“I drink champagne when I’m happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty.” :)

I would be very interested in a drinks package and would be happy to see it offered onboard.

Just had to comment ----I'am going to use this quote--love it---thanks for the :)!!

• 3 months later...

I just got off the Celebrity Solstice and bought the premium package and would do it again in a heart beat. The package includes all drinks that would be an additional cost - espresso based drinks, Evian, Perrier, San Pelligrino, all soda, energy drinks, smoothies, plus alcoholic drinks. All martini's were included, a large high quality selection of wine by the glass, some champagnes, and only the most prestigious and aged liquor and cognacs were excluded. I wish NCL was doing the same. I love espresso and high end waters which I didn't have to give a second thought about because it was prepaid before I even got on the ship. It was wonderful not having to worry what my bill would look like when the week was done. The only thing on it were the gratuities which were nearly paid for by an OBC.

Options 3 and 4 look interesting, but I think if all the alcohol was paid for I would be sure to try to drink all the alchohol... On a cruise with only 2 days (or on the upcoming Dawn cruise, only 1 day) purely at sea, I am not sure I would fit in the consumption of enough beverages to make it worthwhile. I have already been on cruises and felt like I didn't use my soda card enough beecause we were not on the ship for most of many days. Maybe on a trans-Atlantic... ;)

On the AI concept, a frequent complaint of folks who go is that the alcohol is low quality. You can get all kinds of fancy colored umbrella drinks but you are getting mainly sugar and low-grade booze. People have mentioned that standard cruise practice is to go quite a bit less than top-shelf, and it seems if the AI concept moved in the qulity might further degrade. Perhaps unless, everytime you ordered, you requested a desired brand and the server brought that brand.

$56 per day:eek: That's more than I've ever paid for a cruise! From personal experience with others indulging in this kind of package....the groups we met that were on this package were well beyond intoxicated and still managed to get more drinks (I'm a "retired" bartender and know who should and should not be served). I realize that passenger safety is the utmost concern of the crew but "cutting people off" was about as likely to happen as a crew member telling a parent to remove their infant from the jacuzzi! Side note, I thought I overheard that the gratuity for each drink received was in addition to the package price, does anyone know if this is correct as I assume that would make a big difference?

From personal experience with others indulging in this kind of package....the groups we met that were on this package were well beyond intoxicated and still managed to get more drinks (I'm a "retired" bartender and know who should and should not be served).

That doesn't HAVE to be true. There are MANY expensive non-alcoholic drinks that can add up to most of the $56 (actually $49).

Consider this possibility, for example (using prices from Celebrity's menus):

1. bottled or freshly squeezed juice = $2.50

2. specialty coffees and/or teas (morning, noon, and evening) = average of $4.50 each = total of $13.50

3. premium bottled water ($2.50 small, $4.00 large -- one of each daily) = total of $6.50

4. pop (aka "soda") -- two per day at $2.00 each = total of $4.00

5. non-alcoholic beer (e.g., O'Doul's) or energy drink (e.g., Red Bull) = $5.00

6. smoothie = $4.00

7. non-alcoholic cocktail or wine (e.g., special punches, sangrias, Sutter Fre, etc.) = $4.00

JUST THE ABOVE (containing no alcohol) adds up to $40.50. Without danger of intoxication, one could add ANY of the following to exceed the $49 paid:

8a. some cocktails $9 to $11

8b. all martinis $9 to $11

8c. some glasses of wine $9 to $12

8d. some liqueurs $9 to $12

8e. two beers $10 to $16

I thought I overheard that the gratuity for each drink received was in addition to the package price, does anyone know if this is correct as I assume that would make a big difference?

No, it is NOT correct. As I mentioned above, the base price is $49 per day, and the 15% service charge (not really a "gratuity," since it is not "free will," as a gratuity is, by definition) is $7.35, giving the total of $56.35.

Norwegian needs to get busy and create packages that are as good, or even better, in order to be competitive.

OK...just made myself laugh...

I saw this post for the first time today and thought to myself...

"That's a pretty good deal for a week of drinks!" :o

The funny part is that I even had to stop and give it some thought about paying that for the week! Then I noticed it was PER DAY! :eek:

To each his own! HAHA! Pass the Iced Tea!

the groups we met that were on this package were well beyond intoxicated and still managed to get more drinks

My daughter and I both used this package and except for my daughter getting a little tipsy the first night neither of us were beyond intoxicated or even close!! As JG51 and myself had stated, this package includes many non-alcoholic drinks and most days 50% of what was covered was non-alcoholic. On my sailing, I saw no one "beyond intoxicated". I think you may be confusing Celebrity with Carnival.

Side note, I thought I overheard that the gratuity for each drink received was in addition to the package price, does anyone know if this is correct as I assume that would make a big difference?

The price does include the service charge.

We cruise in December and I can't speak for my husband(because he's more frugal than I am) but I would definitely order up the premium. I like my rum runners, premium beers, premium coffees, smoothies and other mixed drinks. Looking at the prices Nita provided...looking back on Friday night, I would have spent about $60 by myself anyway...just Friday night for my fantasy football draft party.

Archived