INsurance for after 30 days for pre existing

Hdog76

I need help. This is NOT cruise related but these boards have always helped me tremendously. I am getting married in Hawaii and my parents are attending. My mom has cancer. She is in remission. I STUPIDLY waited TOO LONG to get their travel insurance and now its a week past the 30 days for pre existing conditions. I stupidly thought that only pertained to medical coverage, NOT cancellation coverage. Do I have ANY options to cover their flights/hotel?

Thanks for the info...those at the bottom that say NONE do not have a waiver for pre existing policies, therefore you cannot use there coverage for a pre existing condition

As a corollary, CSA (a solid company) will give you a pre-ex waiver up to final payment. So if you haven't made final payment, you are still okay, even if your options are a bit small.

SirWired

Since you are looking primarily to cover flights/hotel if they must cancel, see if you can get "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage. While it may not reimburse 100%, at least the reason for cancellation is not important and won't affect whether benefits are paid.

Read carefully to be aware of the time limits and % coverage limits for purchasing 'any-reason' coverage; all the third party ones I know of require it shortly after deposit. The cruiseline policies do not have this limit, but do not cover independantly booked air or hotels.

I need help. This is NOT cruise related but these boards have always helped me tremendously. I am getting married in Hawaii and my parents are attending. My mom has cancer. She is in remission. I STUPIDLY waited TOO LONG to get their travel insurance and now its a week past the 30 days for pre existing conditions. I stupidly thought that only pertained to medical coverage, NOT cancellation coverage. Do I have ANY options to cover their flights/hotel?

Call Travelex at 800-228-9792 (and be prepared to be on hold for a while, they are very slow to answer) and discuss the situation with them. Have a brief summary of your mother's medical history for the last 60 days handy.

Travelex, in determining whether or not a condition is pre-existing or not, would only look at the 60 day period prior to the date you purchase the policy. So if her condition is in remission she's probably going to be OK. Here's their definition of a pre-existing condition:

"Pre-Existing Condition: means any injury, sickness or condition of You, or Your Traveling Companion for which within the sixty (60) day period prior to the Effective Date of Trip Cancellation coverage under the Policy [effective date for trip cancellation is the day after you purchase the policy] (a) first manifested itself or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment;

(b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or © required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Physician."

So, if in the last 60 days your Mother's treatment involved ONLY the taking of prescription medication (no other treatment was required or recommended -- regular checkups don't count) and nothing has changed -- not the diagnosis, prognosis, or prescriptions -- and the condition is 100% stable (which it sounds like it is) then they're probably going to tell you she'd be covered if the cancer later returns and causes her to cancel the trip.

Anyway, give them a call and see what they say.

Archived