Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

Once you are off the cruise ship, look for taxis with blue flags which indicate that the drivers are a certified tour guides.

Linky to Bermuda Yellow Pages for taxi tours: http://www.informationpages.com/sys/pageserver.dll?b=41&p=0&s=-8&f=&k=&go=taxi+tours

Here are what some CC members had to write about tour guides, in no particular order:

posted by CC member Pickytraveler4, 10/9/09

Frank Barboza (Taxi #1821) Phone: 441-236-7128

He was very nice and informative.

Posted by CC member Teddie, 10/2/09

.We chose a taxi operated by Dennis Hollis, and he provided us with an excellent three-hour tour of Bermuda, including stops for photo ops, shopping, brief visits to many interesting sites, and general friendly and informative details on the flora, fauna, and history of Bermuda..... This was an excellent tour, and we highly recommend it.......

Contact information for Dennis Hollis:

Taxi # 1340

Mobile: 441 334-7480

E mail: DWHOLLIS@IBL.BM

Posted by CC member Optifire, 6/23/09,

We have used VIP Taxi Service for a private tour in Bermuda. Our guide was Lloyd Smart. He was wonderful, …...... We saw every inch of Bermuda. His van was clean, cool and up to date. He was funny and quite a gentleman. We would not hesitate to recommend him. His email is lsmart@northrock.bm

Posted by CC member Philly Steve, 4/27/09

Duke Soares, Taxi 1400 is a native Onion and a vintage car racer. He's a very knowledgable guide. Contact him at 1-441-535-3465 or Bdashortz@hotmail.com

Posted by CC member luv2cruz44, 4/29/10

We just finished a tour with Duke (Soares) and cannot recommend him highly enough. The tour was 4 and one half hours, …....... He was a wealth of information and very pleasant to be around.

Contact info in Philly Steve's post just above

SBtS

Based on CC recommendations DH and I are booked with Duke Soares for a May 31st island excursion. Rate is $40.00 per hour for up to 4 people. It's $55.00 per hour for 5-6 people. Tour is minimum of 3 hours. He suggests to start early and to get a good overview of the island you would need at least 4 or 5 hours.

found a web site for "Veron's Taxi tours" claiming $42 per hour for 5-6 people tours, site also says "our rates are legal and government regulated". Has anyone used this company? At $42 vice $55 an hour, that adds up to real money pretty quickly for a 4 or 5 hour tour!

Based on CC recommendations DH and I are booked with Duke Soares for a May 31st island excursion. Rate is $40.00 per hour for up to 4 people. It's $55.00 per hour for 5-6 people. Tour is minimum of 3 hours. He suggests to start early and to get a good overview of the island you would need at least 4 or 5 hours.

Please let us know how you like Duke for the tour. My husband and I are going later in the summer and this might be a nice option.

Cheers!

I booked Duke too, because of this thread for June 7th.

I emailed him and got an answer the next day with details on where

to meet, cell phone and taxi number.

So looking forward to his tour. I like the one on one, unlike a bus

load of people. We did something similar in St Maartin with Bernard,

and it was fantastic.

I booked Duke too, because of this thread for June 7th.

I emailed him and got an answer the next day with details on where

to meet, cell phone and taxi number.

So looking forward to his tour. I like the one on one, unlike a bus

load of people. We did something similar in St Maartin with Bernard,

and it was fantastic.

Wiil you be on the Explorer of the Seas? If you are docking in Kings Wharf there is a festival that Monday called Destination Dockyard featuring live band, music, dances,food etc,etc from 8 PM -10:30 PM. Something that might interest you for your evening entertainment.

We have had good luck with private tour operators recommended on the CC boards. We did Papa Bear in St Thomas recently and in the Bahamas with another operator and it was fantastic. So I'm looking forward to a super good experience in Bermuda .

I see you are from Pittsburgh. I have been to your beautiful city when my son was a medical resident at UPitt.

lauder,

I just used the email listed above- Bdashortz@hotmail.com for Duke

and got a reply the very next day and it was just last wk!

Cely,

Thank you for the dockyard nightime info, I had read some threads

on here before, but was not sure when it was exactly. Sounds great.

We are going on the Explorer. This will be our first time in Bermuda,

so I am not so sure what to do!! I have been to the Caribbean a million times!

Thanks for the nice PGH comments, we are very fortunate to have UPMC

for medical care. They offer so muchfor patients and for residents in training. I am a vendor and frequent some UPMC facilities.

Now if the Penquins would have won the last series......

• 2 weeks later...
Please let us know how you like Duke for the tour. My husband and I are going later in the summer and this might be a nice option.

Cheers!

Hi, just got back from Bermuda and I'm here to report about Duke Soares. A little background of him. He's an older gentleman who is a history buff. He knows his island very well. Was born in Bermuda but he has Portuguese roots and married to an English lady who mans the docks in St George's.

He was there at the pier waiting for us with our name. He asked if there are any particular places we want to see and we told him he's the boss. We went to most of the island attractions stopping at St George to look around ourselves and did a little shopping.

We are very happy we did his tour. Took 5 hours and worth every penny.

Hi, just got back from Bermuda and I'm here to report about Duke Soares. A little background of him. He's an older gentleman who is a history buff. He knows his island very well. Was born in Bermuda but he has Portuguese roots and married to an English lady who mans the docks in St George's.

He was there at the pier waiting for us with our name. He asked if there are any particular places we want to see and we told him he's the boss. We went to most of the island attractions stopping at St George to look around ourselves and did a little shopping.

We are very happy we did his tour. Took 5 hours and worth every penny.

What did you get to see on the tour? I am contemplating doing this as well. Did you have a lot of shopping time?

Hi! - I have been to Bermuda many times and had the great good fortune to meet COLIN JENNINGS, another Blue Flagged private taxi driver. He is a great tour guide. He'll do the entire island with you, stop whereever and whenever you want, direct you to nice restaurants based on your likes/dislikes, you can leave your souvenirs in his vehicle while you shop/eat etc. He brings bread to feed the fish at Somerset Bridge, is waiting at the dock for you, has plastic for you to sit on after a day at Horseshoe Bay Beach (or wherever you decide to go to). He is a former soccer player for the Bermuda National Team and is a fountain of knowledge about his native land. He waited patiently while we climbed Gibbs Hill Lighthouse and never minded the dozens of questions that members of my party asked him.

His information is: Colin Jennings, 1-441-799-2959 (cell#), email is: colinjenningstaxi@yahoo.com (he checks it every other day or so-he's very busy!). His rate is the standard fee, $ 40.00 per hour (based on 1-4 passengers). I have sent other people to him from my business here in Pennsylvania and they all came back raving about him.

I'll be seeing him (again!!!) when my BFF's and I go back on the Explorer. We have a whole day planned (Lighthouse, beach, snorkeling for some of us, back to the beach, lunch at Mickey's, a quick stop at the Swizzle Inn) with his help.

Enjoy!! - Miriam (you can use my name when you contact him)

Edited by Clancy14
  • Like 1

Hi! - I have been to Bermuda many times and had the great good fortune to meet COLIN JENNINGS, another Blue Flagged private taxi driver. He is a great tour guide. He'll do the entire island with you, stop whereever and whenever you want, direct you to nice restaurants based on your likes/dislikes, you can leave your souvenirs in his vehicle while you shop/eat etc. He brings bread to feed the fish at Somerset Bridge, is waiting at the dock for you, has plastic for you to sit on after a day at Horseshoe Bay Beach (or wherever you decide to go to). He is a former soccer player for the Bermuda National Team and is a fountain of knowledge about his native land. He waited patiently while we climbed Gibbs Hill Lighthouse and never minded the dozens of questions that members of my party asked him.

His information is: Colin Jennings, 1-441-799-2959 (cell#), email is: colinjenningstaxi@yahoo.com (he checks it every other day or so-he's very busy!). His rate is the standard fee, $ 40.00 per hour (based on 1-4 passengers). I have sent other people to him from my business here in Pennsylvania and they all came back raving about him.

I'll be seeing him (again!!!) when my BFF's and I go back on the Explorer. We have a whole day planned (Lighthouse, beach, snorkeling for some of us, back to the beach, lunch at Mickey's, a quick stop at the Swizzle Inn) with his help.

Enjoy!! - Miriam (you can use my name when you contact him)

Miriam - about how long did your tour last or how long would you suggest to book with Colin? Thanks.

Hi, Sallie Jo,

The best answer to your question, is a question! What are you dying to see? What's the #1 "must-see" on your Bermuda bucket list?!??

After reading all the quides and literature, as wellas Bermuda.com, only then you will be able to tell Colin how long a tour you want. There are no quick ways to get around the island. Traffic (limited to one car per family, but unlimited number of mopeds) will be steady and drive times between spots must be taken into consideration. He'll do as little as 1 hour, but that won't get you anywhere but TO the beach, OR Hamiliton, OR St. George. Make a list, email Colin and take it from there!

- Have fun! - Miriam

Edited by Clancy14

Hi, Sallie Jo,

The best answer to your question, is a question! What are you dying to see? What's the #1 "must-see" on your Bermuda bucket list?!??

After reading all the quides and literature, as wellas Bermuda.com, only then you will be able to tell Colin how long a tour you want. There are no quick ways to get around the island. Traffic (limited to one car per family, but unlimited number of mopeds) will be steady and drive times between spots must be taken into consideration. He'll do as little as 1 hour, but that won't get you anywhere but TO the beach, OR Hamiliton, OR St. George. Make a list, email Colin and take it from there!

- Have fun! - Miriam

Miriam - We have never been to Bermuda and really was just looking for some general information. I didn't know if Colin has some suggested drives and associated times. I am more interested in a getting a general flavor. Thanks. SJ

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie to CC posting for the first time here, so please be kind. :D

My wife & I will be on the Celebrity Summit leaving this weekend to Bermuda. We're still working on our plans (the trip was somewhat last-minute plus we're trying to meet up with a friend there whose availability we won't know until we arrive) and I wanted to know if rather than booking in advance with one of the folks that have been recommended, we'd be OK finding one of the blue-flagged taxis at the wharf when we arrive? While we'd like to pre-plan, it's not practical for us, so this will likely be a last-minute decision.

Is this an OK thing to do?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have the same question as Cruiser523. We will be on the Regatta that docks in Hamilton in November. Are the taxis readily available and do any of those recommended pick up at the Hamilton Dock? Thanks.

cruiser523 asked: .....if rather than booking in advance with one of the folks that have been recommended, we'd be OK finding one of the blue-flagged taxis at the wharf when we arrive?....

It would be OK to hire a blue flag taxi on arrival. There will be taxis waiting to be hired. The price for the tour is $40.00/hour, minimum of 3 hours (I believe). From http://www.bermuda-online.org/getround.htm ..... For a party of four to six, engaging a suitably-sized taxi by the day or half day, with the driver acting as the tour guide, can be a good way to see Bermuda. A blue flagfluttering from the taxi's bonnet signifies the driver has qualified as a tour guide.

In the US, bonnet = hood.

SBtS

Unfortunately, I didn't get a response until after I'd returned (we came back on July 4th) but we wound up doing "self-touring" using the public transit passes. I think that's discussed in another thread so I won't go into details, but I will say that it's a terrifically easy way to get around.

One thing I will mention is that when we took the ferry to St. Georges, one of the "ambassadors" discussed the history of St. Georges, told us what to see when we got there, and answered questions during the entire 40-minute trip. I think his name was Michael, and he was a former mayor of St. Georges and was obviously proud of his city. Oh yes, keep in mind that this was a public ferry, not a formal tour. It really made the experience great.

I must say that I've rarely been to a place where the folks were so genuinely happy to help out the visitors. It was a real pleasure.