Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

Dennis Hollis is available for an island tour the first day we are in Bermuda. He charges the government rates. I emailed him and got a very nice reply an hour or so later. He is very highly recommended on these boards. I am much more comfortable booking with him than Lewis Foggo.

Thank you!

Lauri

Dennis's wife is the email communicator. Dennis gave us a great tour

Thanks for the good words about Dennis! I am sure we will have a fun day. We have spent time in St George and at the South Shore beaches but are looking forward to seeing the lighthouse, Fort Scaur and Catherine, Hamilton, the smallest drawbridge, etc. Any great stops we shouldn't miss?

Lauri

Which lighthouse? (there are 2, but I assume you mean Gibbs Hill and not St. Davids). We had a private tour with a guide (Duke who is no longer able to do tours) but we had already been to Bermuda a bunch of times. We were quite late getting to Bermuda because of a storm so this was just 3.5 hours

The first thing he showed us was a wall as we left the dockyard which had the logos of all the ships that had docked there from early in the 1900s to the present. We paused briefly at the Royal Navy Cemetery (burials of the British Navy dating back to 1700). We drove thru Somerset and he asked us if we had seen the Heydon Trust Chapel, which we had not, so we stopped briefly there. This small chapel dates back to 1616. It had a partly above ground cistern.

We crossed the smallest drawbridge without stopping as we have seen a several times - our next goal was Gibbs Lighthouse because Duke said that if we waited, the parking lot would be too full to even get the taxi into. Here we got out and walked around and Bob and I both took photos. He got one of Duke which I meant to do, but forgot. We could see the ship across the sound.

We followed the South Road along the shore, past Horseshoe Bay, Warwick Long Bay, and all the famous beaches. There was a lot of surf even though we could see the surf line on the reef offshore.

5962354-Huge_Banyan_Tree_Bermuda.jpg?version=2 Huge Banyan Tree

Then he showed us a HUGE banyan tree which had taken over a whole block and was trying to cross the road.

5962360-map_of_Bermuda_in_the_Waterville_lily_pond_Bermuda.jpg?version=2 map of Bermuda in the Waterville lily pond

Our next stop took us by a beautiful nursery with all kinds of flowers, but our destination was Waterville, which was a private residence is now the headquarters of the Bermuda National Trust. This was originally a place where sailors could come in to shop - I think. He said it was owned by Trimminghams, which is no longer in business because the children aren't interested in running it.

What he wanted to show us was a water lily pond which had the islands of Bermuda in it. (He said if it could grow a tree, it was an island - otherwise it was a rock). There was also a little zoo which we didn't stop at.

Then we went past the Botanical Gardens, Collector's Hill and stopped briefly at Spittal Pond parking lot where there were a bunch of chickens running around.

5962856-Road_rocks_and_surf_near_John_Smith_Bay_Park_Bermuda.jpg?version=2

Road, rocks and surf near John Smith Bay Park

We kept going along South Road, past John Smith Bay Park (which he assured us was a different John Smith) and drove thru Tucker's Town, which isn't really a town at all and paused by the beach of the Mid-Ocean Club which had a lot of surf. Some people that tried to go to the beach the next day said that they closed the beach and wouldn't let them go

5962876-Following_a_bus_through_Flatts_Village_Bermuda.jpg?version=2 Following a bus through Flatts Village

Then we went thru the Flats and passed by the BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo) which had a new statue of a sea turtle out front - Duke said they made it out of the roof tiles when they repaired the cathedral. He said the railway museum is closed now - that maybe the lady that ran it died.

5962950-Street_in_Hamilton_Bermuda.jpg Street in Hamilton

We went along the north shore - tried to get a photo of the Black Watch well, which that regiment dug during the drought of 1849, but I didn't really see it and don't think I got a photo. We went through Black Watch pass down into Hamilton, past Victoria Park and the cathedral, and circled the City Hall

5962971-Passageway_in_Fort_Hamilton_Bermuda.jpg?version=2 Passageway in Fort Hamilton

...and headed for Fort Hamilton.

Here he let us out because the van was too heavy to go over the moat bridge. We walked around the fort and took photos.

Now we were heading back for the ship - back thru Somerset on the road next to Great Sound. I took a photo of the moon rising. He let us off at the ship

Edited by grandmaR

GrandmaR,

Yes, the Gibbs lighthouse..had forgotten the name when I wrote this! Thanks for the great info. We will make sure to get to the lighthouse first thing. There is much to see, but depending on what you did on previous trips, that will dictate the day. The two people touring with us have been to Bermuda also but have not seen the same things as we have so planning will be interesting! But, we can snorkel at Tobacco or play on St Catherine's beach while they go to the caves...we just have to figure out what will work for all of us. It will be great to be out and about and get to know more of the island!

Lauri

we booked David Fox due to recommendations on this thread-boy was it worth it

we had a fantastic 5 hour tour with a comprehensive tour of the islands

It was his wedding anniversary meal the night after our tour-we got to hear lots of info about his life including the fact his granddaughter is about to read Medicine at Nottingham University in the UK

if we get back to Bermuda will book him for no other reason to catch up

we booked David Fox due to recommendations on this thread-boy was it worth it

we had a fantastic 5 hour tour with a comprehensive tour of the islands

It was his wedding anniversary meal the night after our tour-we got to hear lots of info about his life including the fact his granddaughter is about to read Medicine at Nottingham University in the UK

if we get back to Bermuda will book him for no other reason to catch up

Glad to hear you enjoyed your tour. We have him booked also.

My husband and I are very interested in doing one of these taxi tours on a TA cruise next year, but I can't find the answer to a question: when you quote the hourly rate you paid is that per person or for the cab?

We would be interested in sharing the cost in a large taxi (van) that would not make us feel too crowded.

Thanks for any info or suggestions......

Judith

My husband and I are very interested in doing one of these taxi tours on a TA cruise next year, but I can't find the answer to a question: when you quote the hourly rate you paid is that per person or for the cab?

We would be interested in sharing the cost in a large taxi (van) that would not make us feel too crowded.

Judith

The current rates for a taxi tour are:

• $40.00/hour/taxi (not p/p) for up to 4 passengers, minimum 3 hours;
  • $55.50/hour/taxi (not p/p) for 5 or 6 passengers, minimum 3 hours.

You should post your tour cost sharing question to your roll call.

SBtS

Judith

It's per hour per vehicle. (plus tip)

Thank you for the good replies and helpful info.

How far ahead would you recommend that I make contact with these tour guides? Our cruise is 13 month away, but it is an active roll call. We have already booked five vans in the Azores!

Judith

if you know the guide you want book as early as possible before someone else nabs him-david fox at least didn't ask for a deposit

We just returned from Bermuda. We took an evening tour with Dennis Hollis upon our arrival in Bermuda on Sunday. $40 per hour for the two of us.

He met us outside the ship's gangway and walked us to his taxi. We started about 4pm. We went first along the road leading out of the Dockyard area and started with a stop a Black Bay beach, then on to the littlest Church and then on to Gibb's Lighthouse where we stopped and climbed to the top of the light. What a great view.

We then toured on to Hamilton and littlest DrawBridge and through the "rich" part of town to see the hotels and houses of the famous.

We ended at Fort Scaur for the sunset at 7:30. We had time to enjoy the sunset and part of a bottle of wine. We were basically the only ones there!!

He had us back to the ship by 8pm....drove us right up to the ship's entrance!

Dennis was a great tour guide and was also great to communicate with leading up to the trip.

• 4 weeks later...

For any one interested in a private tour of Bermuda Island we used Colin Jennings, and we were very satisfied. There was 4 of us and it was for 5 hours. We ended in Hamilton as per our request.

It was the best way with a short time there to see all of the island.

He pointed out just about everything and gave information about living there.

Stopped at many interesting places and he gathered the pink sand for us in a bottle when we stopped at a beach.

Go for it and you won't be disappointed.

Just returned from Bermuda where we took a 6 hour tour with David Fox. He was very knowledgeable and very personable. Highly recommended!

So glad you had a good time with David Fox we have a scheduled tour with him also that we're looking forward to.

My family just got back from a R.C. cruise to Bermuda. I booked a tour company called Unique Vacations for 2 mornings, 4 hour tours each morning. There were 8 of us ranging in age from 2 years to 94 years old, so I found this company on line that could accommodate more than 6 people. The tour was great, and flexible to our needs, splitting us up at times when we requested that some of us go to the Caves and some of us go to the Aquarium. They took us to a couple of beaches (our choices), where we spent an extended period of time. They had a lovely mini bus, that has wheel chair access, and they provided a car seat for my granddaughter. Probably can accommodate 15 people.

We were very, very pleased with their tour and their service. We paid for 4 hours but wound up getting much more. The price included entrance fees to all places and as much water as we wanted. It cost $75 per person for 3 hours, but we booked for 4 hours and it cost $85 per person. I highly recommend them. The email address and contact info is below.

uniquevacations@logic.bm

Judith Simmons was terrific

My family just got back from a R.C. cruise to Bermuda. I booked a tour company called Unique Vacations for 2 mornings, 4 hour tours each morning. There were 8 of us ranging in age from 2 years to 94 years old, so I found this company on line that could accommodate more than 6 people. The tour was great, and flexible to our needs, splitting us up at times when we requested that some of us go to the Caves and some of us go to the Aquarium. They took us to a couple of beaches (our choices), where we spent an extended period of time. They had a lovely mini bus, that has wheel chair access, and they provided a car seat for my granddaughter. Probably can accommodate 15 people.

We were very, very pleased with their tour and their service. We paid for 4 hours but wound up getting much more. The price included entrance fees to all places and as much water as we wanted. It cost $75 per person for 3 hours, but we booked for 4 hours and it cost $85 per person. I highly recommend them. The email address and contact info is below.

uniquevacations@logic.bm

Judith Simmons was terrific

So glad you posted this. I was currently searching this thread for recommendations for a group of 9.

Does anyone else have recommendations for larger groups or have you used unique vacations?

So glad you posted this. I was currently searching this thread for recommendations for a group of 9.

Does anyone else have recommendations for larger groups or have you used unique vacations?

Here are 2, for groups up to 14/15.

Posted by member bb215 on 8/17/13:

I used Winsome Transport for a 5 hour island tour last week. I contacted the owner, Ralph Richardson through his website and he called me to explain rates and to set up a date. I was on the Norwegian Breakaway and he met me and my family outside the ship at 9am. I had a party of 15 (13 adults and 2 children) and we filled his air conditioned mini-bus just perfectly. He was very friendly, knowledgeable, and entertaining. The tour was excellent and I highly recommend him. You will either get Ralph or his wife Julie, as a tour guide. I had Ralph and he shared many personal stories about his family, which I enjoyed very much.
Posted by member Bell Ringer on 6/16/13:
Try GAR tours. George's van will hold 14, we enjoyed his tour and he stopped when ever we wanted, plus took us to places he thought we would enjoy.

http://www.gartours.com/html/about.html

He will respond to your inquiry rather quickly. Good luck, and hope he has your date available.:D

SBtS

We booked Dennis Hollis for our tour. We had hired him last year and took a 4 hour tour from Kings Wharf to Hamilton. This year, we were delighted to book him for a 4 hour tour from Hamilton to St. George.

We had arranged to meet at the wharf at 9 and Dennis was there well before hand.

Dennis is a delight. He shared tons of Bermuda history and suggested places for us to visit. I wanted to see the wench dunking in St. George and he had us there for perfect viewing spots.

Jim and I highly recommend Dennis!

My husband and I just got back from Bermuda. Decided late to take a guide. Tried Dennis Hollis. He was booked but recommended Calvin Place. Couldn't find reviews about Calvin but decided to trust Dennis' recommendation. We were so lucky!!

Calvin is wonderful & knowledgable. We saw the whole island! The reason he is not on cruise critic is because he does private tours for the most upscale hotel on the island. (Tucker's Rosewood Point) He charges the standard $40 per hour.

I would definitely use him again when I go back to Bermuda.

Calvin Place

cplaceja@hotmail.com