Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

Thank you all for your information. Yes, I have a party of 6 adults and I am looking at a private tour booking in advance a blue flag taxi recommended guide. I am checking with two and have found a $70 and $75 per hour pricing/vehicle for a tour of 5 to 6 hours, one requires a $200 deposit with $100 nonrefundable in case of cancellation and I am waiting to hear back from the other guide for their deposit policy. If rates are set by the Government, why are they different for the same thing? Anyway, I will compare both offers and take the one that appears to be the best since both guides seem to be highly recommended. I understand a deposit because of the risk they are taking, but I was surprised at the amount. Thank you.

I don’t recall anyone ever mentioning a deposit on a taxi tour before so I was surprised about that. Some of the private tours not on taxis require 100 per cent prepayment but this is the first I heard of a deposit on a taxi tour. The taxi tour rate of $70 an hour for 5-7 is set by the government. I don’t know if there is a loophole for prearranged tours or the driver is ignoring the regulated rate. Also if the driver takes credit cards and you are paying with a card they add on a fee for that. I have heard of Blue Flag guides charging more than the regulated rate but it seems to me that all you can do on a pre arranged booking is decide not to make the booking. I don’t know of any recourse tourists would have. The other thing you could do is mention they charge more than the government regulated rate if you write a review. So comparing the offers seems to be your best bet.

When you think of it in terms of that each person will be paying $70 or $75 for a six hour private guided tour the cost for either guide seems reasonable to me. If the other guide does not require a deposit I would likely pick that guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Thank you all for your information. Yes, I have a party of 6 adults and I am looking at a private tour booking in advance a blue flag taxi recommended guide. I am checking with two and have found a $70 and $75 per hour pricing/vehicle for a tour of 5 to 6 hours, one requires a $200 deposit with $100 nonrefundable in case of cancellation and I am waiting to hear back from the other guide for their deposit policy. If rates are set by the Government, why are they different for the same thing? Anyway, I will compare both offers and take the one that appears to be the best since both guides seem to be highly recommended. I understand a deposit because of the risk they are taking, but I was surprised at the amount. Thank you.

You are supposed to tip them at least 15% and some people don't tip appropriately, so I think some of the guides add a little to account for that. The government rate isn't necessarily enough to allow them to pay for gas etc.

I don’t recall anyone ever mentioning a deposit on a taxi tour before so I was surprised about that. Some of the private tours not on taxis require 100 per cent prepayment but this is the first I heard of a deposit on a taxi tour. The taxi tour rate of $70 an hour for 5-7 is set by the government. I don’t know if there is a loophole for prearranged tours or the driver is ignoring the regulated rate. Also if the driver takes credit cards and you are paying with a card they add on a fee for that. I have heard of Blue Flag guides charging more than the regulated rate but it seems to me that all you can do on a pre arranged booking is decide not to make the booking. I don’t know of any recourse tourists would have. The other thing you could do is mention they charge more than the government regulated rate if you write a review. So comparing the offers seems to be your best bet.

When you think of it in terms of that each person will be paying $70 or $75 for a six hour private guided tour the cost for either guide seems reasonable to me. If the other guide does not require a deposit I would likely pick that guide.

The taxi tours and the Blue Flag Guided tours have the same rate now. You can't make a distinction between them.

I think the behavior of cruisers is responsible for guides asking for deposits - I think it is not that uncommon to stiff the drivers or change their minds about taking a guide and not telling the guide. When a guide commits their time to a party, they are there waiting for you and if you don't show up, they have very little recourse.

You are supposed to tip them at least 15% and some people don't tip appropriately, so I think some of the guides add a little to account for that. The government rate isn't necessarily enough to allow them to pay for gas etc.

Tipping 15% is a suggestion. I think 15% or more is appropriate but it is not required. If guides add to the government rate some might take that into account, it might be self defeating. Some who are cognizant of the government rate might reduce their tip.

The taxi tours and the Blue Flag Guided tours have the same rate now. You can't make a distinction between them.

I think the behavior of cruisers is responsible for guides asking for deposits - I think it is not that uncommon to stiff the drivers or change their minds about taking a guide and not telling the guide. When a guide commits their time to a party, they are there waiting for you and if you don't show up, they have very little recourse.

None is making a distinction. There are tours that are not taxi or taxi Blue Flag. Byways, Hidden Gems and Ricky’s for example. I would love to do Byway or Hidden Gems. Hidden Gems is on the top of to do my list.

Tipping 15% is a suggestion. I think 15% or more is appropriate but it is not required. If guides add to the government rate some might take that into account, it might be self defeating. Some who are cognizant of the government rate might reduce their tip.

The government rate on the website says $$ per hour (depending on the number of passengers) plus %15 tip. So I conclude from that, that the tip should be at least 15% - optional for more, but not optional for less. In some places (outside the USA) people do not regularly tip, so it may be necessary to educate them about what is required.

The government rate on the website says $$ per hour (depending on the number of passengers) plus %15 tip. So I conclude from that, that the tip should be at least 15% - optional for more, but not optional for less. In some places (outside the USA) people do not regularly tip, so it may be necessary to educate them about what is required.

What website are you citing? I'm not aware of any official government website that calls for a 15% tip. The 15% tip is not an official number, just someone's suggestion as Charles said.

You are right that it isn't on an official government website. The one I was looking at said:

Unlike the case when you take metered taxis, the rates for taxi tours do not change even on Sundays or public holidays, or at night. The above rates are excluding gratuity or tips. A 15% tips is appropriate. You can also book a taxi for half-day or full day.

Another website says "An appropriate tip for the driver is 15% of the fare. Don't make the assumption that taxi drivers are making a fortune. They are not. A lot of the drivers are quite old but are still working to make ends meet." I have had a least one guide that died a couple of years after we met him - he was already ailing a little at the time we hired him.

For Carnival Horizon August 16th 2018

Fellow Cruisers ,

We are party of 2 and we are planning to arrange private tour of the island with Lewis for our cruise ( See reviews, Very good reviews).

We need 4 more people for this tour as the minimum requirement is 6 people for this private tour.

It will be a 5 hours private tour $75 per person.

Please read reviews from other cruisers.

Other reviews

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

For Carnival Horizon August 16th 2018

Fellow Cruisers ,

We are party of 2 and we are planning to arrange private tour of the island with Lewis for our cruise ( See reviews, Very good reviews).

We need 4 more people for this tour as the minimum requirement is 6 people for this private tour.

It will be a 5 hours private tour $75 per person.

Please read reviews from other cruisers.

Other reviews

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

You'll be visiting Bermuda on Saturday, 8/18. The only other cruise ship visiting at the same time is GoS, and it doesn't dock until 2pm, and the Horizon departs at 5pm, all aboard at 4:30pm. No help there. I see that you have posted this to your roll call. I think that you'll get more bodies only by the roll call..

SBtS

I agree

You'll be visiting Bermuda on Saturday, 8/18. The only other cruise ship visiting at the same time is GoS, and it doesn't dock until 2pm, and the Horizon departs at 5pm, all aboard at 4:30pm. No help there. I see that you have posted this to your roll call. I think that you'll get more bodies only by the roll call..

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like no one is interested.......

If you can’t get the six an alternate would be a minibus tour that charges per person. There are several that charge about $69 for a six hour tour per person.

This is the official Bermuda information on taxi rates:

While you can take any taxi for a tour, ideally you should look for ones that have blue flags fluttering or a blue flag insignia on their bonnets. Then you know that the taxi driver is also a government certified tour guide of Bermuda. Such taxis are known as Blue Flag Taxis and the drivers are Blue Flag Certified Tour Guides. Their tour rates are the same as any other taxis which is fixed by the government. These taxi drivers usually have a wealth of knowledge about the island. They have successfully gone through the test and certification process of Government of Bermuda.

Update May 2014: The taxi tour rates have been revised effective May 1, 2014. This is the first revision since December 2007. Up to 4 passengers, the rate is now $50 per hour (instead of earlier $40 per hour). For 5 to 7 passengers, the rate is $70 per hour (instead of earlier $55 per hour). Note that if a larger taxi agrees to carry 4 or less passengers for sightseeing tour, they should charge the lower rate (i.e. $50 per hour). This rate is fixed by the Government. The Blue Flag taxis should also charge the same.

Unlike the case when you take metered taxis, the rates for taxi tours do not change even on Sundays or public holidays, or at night. The above rates are excluding gratuity or tips. A 15% tips is appropriate. You can also book a taxi for half-day or full day. But remember that the taxi drivers in Bermuda are all self employed. So they usually work based on their own convenience.

Taxis in Bermuda come in two sizes - the smaller ones can carry up to 4 passengers and the larger ones up to 7 passengers. Taxi tours operate by hourly rate.

Some taxis in Bermuda are wheelchair accessible and are suitable for persons having physical challenges or disability. Taxi drivers in Bermuda are not allowed to charge any extra for the persons with disability. Some of such taxis may be suitable for electrical wheelchairs and some for manual, but usually not for both.

Taxis will wait when you take time to visit an attraction or plan to take your lunch. However this waiting time will count as part of the total time for which you book the taxi. While having lunch or snacks during your tour, you can invite the driver to join you, although it's not necessary. But if you invite him, then a general courtesy would be to pay for his bills.

The taxi tours take place on an hourly rate. You will need to book the taxi minimum for 3 hours. Typically island tours by taxis last for about 4 hours.

While you can get taxis (including Blue Flag Taxis) at the taxi stands like in Dockyard, but it is advisable to book one in advance in case you want to ensure the tour. Blue Flag Taxi drivers are usually busier than the others.

Here are some of the popular taxi tour operators in Bermuda who have been serving the tourists since several years in the island and have made good names for themselves (also read the reviews below):

Millard Lightbourne of Mills Taxi Service

Millard, known as Mills, has over 50 years of experience in the tourism industry. He worked in the 5-Star Elbow Beach Hotel in Paget for 55 years before retiring as the Assistant Chief Engineer. However he has also been a certified Tourist Guide and a driver since many years. Very well behaved, polite and having awesome knowledge of the island and its flora & fauna, Mills is one of the great drivers in the island for taxi tours. Phone: (441) 238 5690; Email: millarda@northrock.bm

Lewis Foggo

He is the owner and operator of Reliable Taxi Services. He has had his taxi license since 1993 and has been driving part time up until 2001, and full time ever since. He specializes in island tours of Bermuda, and also offers services for corporate, weddings, parties and street pick-ups. Lewis is a Bermuda Government certified Blue Flag Tour Guide. Email: lewis_foggo@hotmail.com; Call: 441/704-2109

Access Bermuda (For physically handicapped)

Keith Simmons of Access Bermuda organizes tours and airport pickups for people with disability or special needs. He has a custom built van with side entrance and an attachable ramp to make it easily wheelchair accessible. This purpose built vehicle also has auxiliary services for ventilators and recharging of electric wheelchairs.

He operates several sightseeing tours including a 3 hour east end tours of the island, 3 hour scenic west end tour, and 5 hour full island tour with certified blue flag tour guides. All tours start and end at the Visitors Center near Hamilton Ferry Terminal. On request, he can also organize glass bottom boat tours for the physically challenged. Address: 1 Loyal Hill, Devonshire.

Phone: (441)295-9106; Email: keithsimmons@logic.bm

Bermuda Island Taxi

A popular large taxi service in Bermuda operating for over four decades. While they have a number of taxis which are engaged in transfers between places, they also offer great island tours and have knowledgeable drives who are excellent tour guides. They also have wheelchair accessible taxis. Their main office is in Hamilton City although they have operations in St. George as well.

Phone: (441) 295-4141; Email: info@bermudaislandtaxi.com

I would like some feedback. I contacted Lewis Foggo for a party of 5 for a 4 hour tour. He told he usually only does 5 hour minimums and the cost is $75 an hour. He would be willing to make an exception and do a 4 hour tour.

Does the quote above mean he should be charging $70 an hour?

• Like 1

I emailed Quinton Bean last night and he responded first thing this morning. We are happily booked with him in a few weeks! We wanted an 8:30am start time and he was able to accommodate that. He also charged the government rate of $70 an hour (5 people). Looking forward to it!

I emailed Quinton Bean last night and he responded first thing this morning. We are happily booked with him in a few weeks! We wanted an 8:30am start time and he was able to accommodate that. He also charged the government rate of $70 an hour (5 people). Looking forward to it!

Just e-mailed him base on your findings!! Hopefully he is available for our date. Once you go let me know how it worked out!

We have Quinton reserved for this Monday, August 6, for six hours for seven people. Looking forward to it as well, and will come back to this thread to let everyone know how it went.

Bermuda bound in two days:D:ship:

We have Quinton reserved for this Monday, August 6, for six hours for seven people. Looking forward to it as well, and will come back to this thread to let everyone know how it went.

Bermuda bound in two days:D:ship:

Thank you so much!!! I booked him today for our trip. I look forward to hearing about your experience!!! Thank you in advance! Have a wonderful trip:D!!

Is he asking for a deposit with half of it being nonrefundable? Just thought I would check because his original quote to me included one. Enjoy your vacation!

Our visit with him is August 28th. I'll report back to everyone. His taxi van allows for 6 passengers. Elhenry, let us know how that works? You mentioned 7 in your group so I wonder if he uses a different vehicle for that.

I asked about payment. Payment is by Cash and there was no mention of a deposit.

Our visit with him is August 28th. I'll report back to everyone. His taxi van allows for 6 passengers. Elhenry, let us know how that works? You mentioned 7 in your group so I wonder if he uses a different vehicle for that.

I asked about payment. Payment is by Cash and there was no mention of a deposit.

Yes I thought he was very nice too. I was booking for a tour several months out which is probably why he mentioned a deposit to me. I know you will enjoy your visit!

The 7th person will ride shotgun.

Someone on the sub-forum mentioned Anthony Wolff and we have booked him for our tour in two (2) weeks will come back and let you know how that went...

Thank you everyone on this and other Bermuda threads for your input and insight(s) on sailing and touring there...

bon voyage