Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

Okay, you confused me a little on this one! If the bus does not take you to the lighthouse, you recommend that if you are not in good shape to skip it. However, you say to climb it in the next sentence?? You still have to go down to the base to climb it, right?

So basically if your not in good shape, don't plan on doing the lighthouse, unless you have a taxi take you to the base.

Sorry!:o. I need to spend a little more time on details when I respond. Here goes....

There is no public (Bermuda's famous "Pink" buses) to Gibb's Hill Lighthouse. The only ways to get there are either by foot, scooter or taxi, or cruise excursion bus. The bus will leave you off at the road, at the bottom of another long and very winding and rather steep road that leads to the base of the lighthouse. Probably a good 10-15 minute walk uphill, depending on your state of fitness.

At the base is a small parking lot, a 360 degree grassy area for picture taking, a small but great gift shop, 2 restrooms in a bunker-like building a little away from the base, and the small cafe inside the giftshop building.

It is not a huge outside area. I'm guessing but I think that 100 people would cover the entire grassy area. The giftshop has room for MAYBE 25 at most, at one time. The entire giftshop is maybe 25' x 20'. You buy tickets to walk to the top of the lighthouse (I think it was $2.50 US in September 2010, when I was last there.) You walk about 50' to the base of the lighthouse, drop your stub ina box and start the climb. There is no attendant at the base. It's strictly the honor system.

I'm trying to remember but I think there are 183 steps to the top. There are landings along the walk with pictures and stories about the History of Bermuda and the lighthouse itself. (No benches to sit on,though). At the top there is a small, square opening to bend over and step out onto the walkway around the top. It is only wide enough for two to pass each other, with a high wrought-iron railing. THE VIEW IS SPECTACULAR!!!

If you had just walked up the hill from where the bus stopped, I think you would be exhausted (I know I certainly would be). However, if an air-conditioned taxi has dropped you off at the base, then the climb is very "do-able". When you descend, (in my case) Colin is waiting there for you in his air-conditioned taxi (where I have already left my gift shop souvenirs) with a drink I purchased in the gift shop and off we drive to my next sightseeing spot!

I hope I cleared this up a little! If not, let me know and I'll try again! :D

- Miriam

Sorry!:o. I need to spend a little more time on details when I respond. Here goes....

There is no public (Bermuda's famous "Pink" buses) to Gibb's Hill Lighthouse. The only ways to get there are either by foot, scooter or taxi, or cruise excursion bus. The bus will leave you off at the road, at the bottom of another long and very winding and rather steep road that leads to the base of the lighthouse. Probably a good 10-15 minute walk uphill, depending on your state of fitness.

At the base is a small parking lot, a 360 degree grassy area for picture taking, a small but great gift shop, 2 restrooms in a bunker-like building a little away from the base, and the small cafe inside the giftshop building.

It is not a huge outside area. I'm guessing but I think that 100 people would cover the entire grassy area. The giftshop has room for MAYBE 25 at most, at one time. The entire giftshop is maybe 25' x 20'. You buy tickets to walk to the top of the lighthouse (I think it was $2.50 US in September 2010, when I was last there.) You walk about 50' to the base of the lighthouse, drop your stub ina box and start the climb. There is no attendant at the base. It's strictly the honor system.

I'm trying to remember but I think there are 183 steps to the top. There are landings along the walk with pictures and stories about the History of Bermuda and the lighthouse itself. (No benches to sit on,though). At the top there is a small, square opening to bend over and step out onto the walkway around the top. It is only wide enough for two to pass each other, with a high wrought-iron railing. THE VIEW IS SPECTACULAR!!!

If you had just walked up the hill from where the bus stopped, I think you would be exhausted (I know I certainly would be). However, if an air-conditioned taxi has dropped you off at the base, then the climb is very "do-able". When you descend, (in my case) Colin is waiting there for you in his air-conditioned taxi (where I have already left my gift shop souvenirs) with a drink I purchased in the gift shop and off we drive to my next sightseeing spot!

I hope I cleared this up a little! If not, let me know and I'll try again! :D

- Miriam

Thank you! It doesn't take much to confuse me sometime:D

Are there long lines to get out to the top? Or atleast has anyone experienced that?

Thank you all for your information. I have decided it is worth the money to just pay the tour guide to take us to everything and wait for us. I think that will be the best. Plus I just think you will get a better overall view of Bermuda. Any other advice or info is greatly appreciated:)

• 2 weeks later...
Please let us know how you like Duke for the tour. My husband and I are going later in the summer and this might be a nice option.

Cheers!

Just got back from Bermuda on Sat. I used Duke Soares for a private tour for my family and myself. It was extremely good. He took over the whole isaladn, gave us history of the island and we stopped for lunch as well. Highly reccomend Duke!

Just got back from Bermuda on Sat. I used Duke Soares for a private tour for my family and myself. It was extremely good. He took over the whole isaladn, gave us history of the island and we stopped for lunch as well. Highly reccomend Duke!

Would you be willing to post what you did/saw with Duke and how long you toured with him? We're trying to work out what makes sense for our tour with Colin, and debating a number of things (beach stops, Gibbs, Crystal Cave, etc.) Not sure whether it makes sense to do any stops that take a particularly long time, but would like to hear thoughts/experiences of others.

Thanks!

Hello,

What is the current rate for a private Car tours for about 3 hours for a family of four..... 2 adult and 2 childrens....

How do we pay them... Do we pay in advance via credit card during the time of booking or do we pay in cash after the tour?

Thanks,

Dinesh

We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids ... 9 and 5).... We are booked on a cruise that has a Port of Call in Bermuda.... from 9.00AM to 5 PM..... So i am assuming 10 to 4 on the safe side...

Any recommendations of what should be done and how....

Thanks,

Dinesh

ge0rgette2 asked: ...Taxi's are about $10. per person? Faster trip than stopping via bus stops?.....

regular taxi fares are based on the mileage required to drive; for the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay the posted fare is $28.00 for 1 to 4 passengers, weekday travel. The taxi would be faster; however, the bus only has to stop when a passenger wants to get off or there is someone waiting at the bus stop to get on.

And: Bus is about $6.00 per person?

bus fare would be $4.50 cash, each way or $4.00 token, each way. If you are using the bus more than that one trip, then you should consider the transportation pass, good for the bus & ferry, 1 day $12.00, 2 day $20.00 & 3 day $28.00

and: Sea Glass beach -- can take a bus correct?

Yes, a bus route #7 or #8.

SBtS

ge0rgette2 asked: ...Taxi's are about $10. per person? Faster trip than stopping via bus stops?.....

regular taxi fares are based on the mileage required to drive; for the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay the posted fare is $28.00 for 1 to 4 passengers, weekday travel. The taxi would be faster; however, the bus only has to stop when a passenger wants to get off or there is someone waiting at the bus stop to get on.

And: Bus is about $6.00 per person?

bus fare would be $4.50 cash, each way or $4.00 token, each way. If you are using the bus more than that one trip, then you should consider the transportation pass, good for the bus & ferry, 1 day $12.00, 2 day $20.00 & 3 day $28.00

and: Sea Glass beach -- can take a bus correct?

Yes, a bus route #7 or #8.

SBtS

THANKS!!!!! How many stops, roughly, is Horseshoe via bus...

If a token is $4.00 per one way - isn't it better to just pay $8.00 than a $12.00 all day fare? Then again, if we do wanna stop for shopping, lunch, etc, you are right - get the all day pass.

THANKS!!!!! .............. Then again, if we do wanna stop for shopping, lunch, etc, you are right - get the all day pass.

The bus to Horseshoe Bay will really not give you any chance to do shopping. You would need to take a taxi, bus or ferry to either Hamilton or St. George for that.

As far as eating on the island, a lunch for 4 at the Pickled Onion (for an example) with 4 ice teas, a ham sandwich, cheeseburger and 2 fish sandwiches (no appetizer, no dessert, no alcohol) was $ 84 (last May). Lunch for 2 at Mickey's Place (at Elbow Beach) with 2 ice teas, 1 bottle of water, 1 cup of fish chowder, and 2 cheese/tomato baugettes was $ 63.00

Use the ship for meals!

Hope this helps - Clancy

The bus to Horseshoe Bay will really not give you any chance to do shopping. You would need to take a taxi, bus or ferry to either Hamilton or St. George for that.

As far as eating on the island, a lunch for 4 at the Pickled Onion (for an example) with 4 ice teas, a ham sandwich, cheeseburger and 2 fish sandwiches (no appetizer, no dessert, no alcohol) was $ 84 (last May). Lunch for 2 at Mickey's Place (at Elbow Beach) with 2 ice teas, 1 bottle of water, 1 cup of fish chowder, and 2 cheese/tomato baugettes was $ 63.00

Use the ship for meals!

Hope this helps - Clancy

Yes, it can be expensive for lunch but unless one is close to the ship, it is a waste of precious time to go back there for lunch. There are cheaper options available, especially some of the pub grub at places like the Swizzle Inn and even grocery store have pick up things.

We have Colin booked for a 4-5 hour tour in August. I am just wondering if someone can give me an example of what they were able to see in that time frame. For example, will we have time to go all the way to St. George and look around and still visit Gibb's lighthouse and Hamilton? From what I've read elsewhere it takes an hour by taxi just to get to St. George.

Use the ship for meals!

Hope this helps - Clancy

Thanks Clancy!! Sure does help.. I'll pack up some snacks and bring them and eat meals on the ship ... huge breakfast and then back for dinner. ;)

We have Colin booked for a 4-5 hour tour in August. I am just wondering if someone can give me an example of what they were able to see in that time frame. For example, will we have time to go all the way to St. George and look around and still visit Gibb's lighthouse and Hamilton? From what I've read elsewhere it takes an hour by taxi just to get to St. George.

I think that if you just wanted a tour by taxi, with no real stops for sightseeing at an actual local destination (Gibb's Hill Lighthouse, Somerset Bridge, Crystal Caves, BMAZ etc), meals or shopping, you could do both Hamilton and St. George in one day.

That being said, I don't think that's the best way to spend your day. It would be a frantic pace, asways looking at your watch. I'm not sure how much time you will be on the island. If you have more than 1 day/1night, then I would save Hamilton or St. George for the 2nd day, and do it by ferry. I would spend the first day seeing what I decided to be the "can't miss" spots and travel to those by taxi. It's not the distance between locations that takes up so much time, it's the traffic and the speed limits that keep things going at a slower pace. It's wonderful to be in a taxi and see something that catches your eye and be able to tell Colin to pull over and have him explain what you are seeing and the history behind it, and perhaps jump out to take a few pictures.

Hamilton is a very nice city, but unless you are dying to shop (no real bargains in Bermuda), then I would skip it and concentrate on things that are unique to Bermuda, or at least make it only a very brief part of your time there. The shopping that you can do at Dockyard is very varied and much easier to get to. Just a 5 minute walk from the ship. The shops are usually open to 9 pm, so you can have dinner and walk over to shop when you are done.

Hope this helps! - Clancy

Edited by Clancy14

I booked Duke for my cruise in May. I am so excited as my husband loves history and seeing historical sites. Can't wait!!

Carol

I think that if you just wanted a tour by taxi, with no real stops for sightseeing at an actual local destination (Gibb's Hill Lighthouse, Somerset Bridge, Crystal Caves, BMAZ etc), meals or shopping, you could do both Hamilton and St. George in one day.

That being said, I don't think that's the best way to spend your day. It would be a frantic pace, asways looking at your watch. I'm not sure how much time you will be on the island. If you have more than 1 day/1night, then I would save Hamilton or St. George for the 2nd day, and do it by ferry. I would spend the first day seeing what I decided to be the "can't miss" spots and travel to those by taxi. It's not the distance between locations that takes up so much time, it's the traffic and the speed limits that keep things going at a slower pace. It's wonderful to be in a taxi and see something that catches your eye and be able to tell Colin to pull over and have him explain what you are seeing and the history behind it, and perhaps jump out to take a few pictures.

Hamilton is a very nice city, but unless you are dying to shop (no real bargains in Bermuda), then I would skip it and concentrate on things that are unique to Bermuda, or at least make it only a very brief part of your time there. The shopping that you can do at Dockyard is very varied and much easier to get to. Just a 5 minute walk from the ship. The shops are usually open to 9 pm, so you can have dinner and walk over to shop when you are done.

Hope this helps! - Clancy

Thanks for the suggestions Clancy. We will have 3 days in Bermuda so I think we will take your advice and leave either St. George and/or Hamilton for day 2 by ferry. We are not interested in shopping with the exception of maybe picking up a few souvenirs along the way.

We are a group of 10 so Colin is arranging for a friend of his to split the group and tour with us. The age range is from 12 to 85 so I want to try and keep everyone happy and interested. Would you recommend visiting the Crystal caves while with Colin or on our own? What would you consider the "must see" places to be for first time visitors and would you say Hamilton Harbor Nights is a "must see" experience? Thanks for your help.