Double orders in the MDR?

I have read a couple of times of people ordering two mains or starters although I have never seen it. Have you ever done this? Does this mean that you have to wait twice as long if someone on your table does it, or do they bring them out both together? Does this affect the wait staff negatively in any way?

Two starters - no problem, I've done it and seen it done by tablemates all the time. If you have good waiters they will just keep the courses flowing.

I've also done two entrees, usually in the case of wanting lobster tail with prime rib to make surf and turf. The problem there is that the waiters often want to bring two full plates, as the entrees are pre-plated in the kitchen.

If you order them at the same time, they'll bring them at the same time.

Once, I couldn't make up my mind about dessert and told the waiter to "surprise me"...he did...he brought 1 of EVERYTHING! And, I ate them!!!! (I still marvel how I did that!)

I usually order two or three appetisers (that is often my favorite part of the meal) and occasionally have ordered two entrees. I have been fortunate to have usually had very lively, friendly tablemates who also often ordered extra courses, so it did not disrupt the flow/pace of the dinner.

We always order two starters (usually an appetizer and either a soup or salad). Our waiters just bring them in separate courses, making our meal a 4-course meal. Except for one cruise, we have always had a table for 2 so it didn't slow anyone down. On one trip we were at a table for 4 and after the first night, our companions ordered 4 courses too!

The only trouble I ever had was when I asked if I could get the shrimp from the Fisherman's plate with the Steak on formal night (I don't eat lobster). As someone has said, the plates are pre-prepared. The waiter grumbled a little bit but got it done. I have never made a special request since.

Every time I have asked a server which dessert is best, I have received a portion of each that I have asked about:p We also often order ice cream to go with our desserts.

We always order two starters (usually an appetizer and either a soup or salad). . .

I have only cruised for a few years, but I still remember when soups/salads were listed as a separate course from appetizers in the menu.

I always have two starters, sometimes even two soups which I enjoy. You can avoid waiting for others by requesting a table for two!

Also, the Indian vegetarian dishes are excellent and we often share one in addition to our main entree.

Our teenage sons cruised with us a while back. They would frequently request a second meal after they wolfed down their entree. After doing this a couple times, the waiter asked them to 'please order the second entree with the initial order', as it is a bit of a job to get the second entree when the dining room has moved on to deserts.

No problems with the second entree, or second starters, but they preferred to know about it ahead of time.

I have ordered multiple appetizers and desserts but never entrees. I'm actually a bit too picky about entrees and have had to order appetizers for my actual course, lol. But no harm, the appetizers are always great! (Haven't cruised on RCL yet but I am going to be in September, so this comment applies mostly to Carnival, for the time being) ;)

Obesity and it's costs to society

destruction of worlds resources by the affluent minority

I imagine these affect waiters as well.

I often think that they come from such poor backgrounds and work so hard to support their families and don't see them for such a long time that they must be pretty outraged by some of the waste and excessive consumption they see.

This was the face :rolleyes: at our table when we looked at the *new* menus a couple yrs back and saw soups and salads lumped together instead of being seperate courses! We usually order a few appetizers or salad and soup and an entree....or an entree each and DH and I share one. It depends on how hungry we are and whats on the menu!

well it wouldnt cut cruise fares what you order extra is already prepaird they only throw it away after

They prepare it because people eat it. If people ate less they would prepare less. It's supply and demand. If people didn't demand over time the profile would change and less would be cooked.

Or maybe they'd drop if people stopped smuggling booze onboard Michael :rolleyes:

lol. I wondered who else picked up on that...

our waiters would bring extra items separately, not together, which I would not have liked anyway... soup and salad not a big deal; never ordered multiple entrees or deserts though.

I don't know why some are against ordering double. I've seen MANY smaller sized people ordering doubles, just as the heavier. I don't think it has anything to do with 'obesity' for pete sake.

And if you don't do it, that's fine. Bravo. But I am sure you are a very small number, compared to the people that do. *shrugs*

I don't know why some are against ordering double. I've seen MANY smaller sized people ordering doubles, just as the heavier. I don't think it has anything to do with 'obesity' for pete sake.

And if you don't do it, that's fine. Bravo. But I am sure you are a very small number, compared to the people that do. *shrugs*

obesity starts somewhere. At 25 my friend was a 'smaller sized' person. By 33 she was dead from obesity and left a 1 year old orphan. She had the attitude ' well it's free' . It was tragic.

Nothing is free . Everything has a cost. The more we eat the more needs to be produced and the greater the environmental impact. It's a choice we make.

You should only order 1 of each course, maybe then cruise fares would drop
They spend a total of $10 a day, more or less, on food for passengers, I doubt an occasional extra entre or appetizer is going to alter prices much.

Archived