Double orders in the MDR?

obesity starts somewhere. At 25 my friend was a 'smaller sized' person. By 33 she was dead from obesity and left a 1 year old orphan. She had the attitude ' well it's free' . It was tragic.

Nothing is free . Everything has a cost. The more we eat the more needs to be produced and the greater the environmental impact. It's a choice we make.

And I can see your concern. But it's not exactly 'moral' to tell people what they should be or should NOT be doing. Obesity is a problem, I agree but that's the joy of being a human being. You have the choice. I've lost 25 pounds since the beginning of Feb. And it's been my choice to eat better than I had been doing. One person doesn't magically get obese from taking a cruise and eating what they want.

They spend a total of $10 a day, more or less, on food for passengers, I doubt an occasional extra entre or appetizer is going to alter prices much.

And as a result of the farming and production methods cheap food often has a higher environmental cost than more expensive, greener and more sustainable alternatives.

It is the choice that we make.

And as a result of the farming and production methods cheap food often has a higher environmental cost than more expensive, greener and more sustainable alternatives.

It is the choice that we make.

While that may be true, it's hardly relevant to a discussion about whether an occasional extra entre order changes cruise pricing.

And I can see your concern. But it's not exactly 'moral' to tell people what they should be or should NOT be doing. Obesity is a problem, I agree but that's the joy of being a human being. You have the choice. I've lost 25 pounds since the beginning of Feb. And it's been my choice to eat better than I had been doing. One person doesn't magically get obese from taking a cruise and eating what they want.

I wasn't wanting to tell people. It's a choice that we all make about how we live our lives. Sometimes our choices affect others in wAys we may not have thought about.

I am not saying that one cruise makes a difference. It is more about the culture that underpins that choice which interests me. We see it as our right,as free, as not affecting other people. That isn't always the case. Our choices can affect people we will never even meet and people who will not be born for generations.

It is our choice. I just think it should be a considered and informed choice. Whatever we chose we should know the possible consequences and be comfortable with them ( and the things that we will feel comfortable with will vary based on our very personal value system). Not right or wrong but different.

While that may be true, it's hardly relevant to a discussion about whether an occasional extra entre order changes cruise pricing.

The op didn't ask about cruise pricing. She asked if ordering 2 meals negativley affected the wait staff in anyway.

The op didn't ask about cruise pricing. She asked if ordering 2 meals negativley affected the wait staff in anyway.
If you look back, you'll see that my post was a reply to a poster who opined that not ordering extra items might lower cruise prices.

Obesity and it's costs to society

destruction of worlds resources by the affluent minority

I imagine these affect waiters as well.

I often think that they come from such poor backgrounds and work so hard to support their families and don't see them for such a long time that they must be pretty outraged by some of the waste and excessive consumption they see.

Okay, this is where I draw the line. I'm all for being socially aware and making informed decisions. But I'm not going to order dinner on vacation based on whether or not I think I might slightly offend my waiter. If you start worrying about stuff like that what's the point of cruising anymore?

Truth is, cruise lines expect you to eat alot. That's why they have meals and snacks available virtually everywhere throughout the ship. And they buy the food in such bulk that it costs them a tiny fraction of what we would pay for the equivalent item at the supermarket. So go ahead and have that extra appetizer, they want you to. They want you to go and be excited about all the food so that you'll come back and take another cruise.

If you feel sorry for the waitstaff, eat what you want and then tip extra. I can assure you they'd rather get paid more than do less work because you are feeling sorry for them.

You should only order 1 of each course, maybe then cruise fares would drop

No, cuz they would end of throwing away all of the parishable foods!! So we might as well eat it, we don't want to waste food, do we?!

okay, this is where i draw the line. I'm all for being socially aware and making informed decisions. But i'm not going to order dinner on vacation based on whether or not i think i might slightly offend my waiter. If you start worrying about stuff like that what's the point of cruising anymore?

Truth is, cruise lines expect you to eat alot. That's why they have meals and snacks available virtually everywhere throughout the ship. And they buy the food in such bulk that it costs them a tiny fraction of what we would pay for the equivalent item at the supermarket. So go ahead and have that extra appetizer, they want you to. They want you to go and be excited about all the food so that you'll come back and take another cruise.

If you feel sorry for the waitstaff, eat what you want and then tip extra. I can assure you they'd rather get paid more than do less work because you are feeling sorry for them.

amen.

No, cuz they would end of throwing away all of the parishable foods!! So we might as well eat it, we don't want to waste food, do we?!

If we didn't eat as much they would not order as much in the long term and so it would not be thrown away. They order based on what we eat- we eat less they order less.

Obesity and it's costs to society

destruction of worlds resources by the affluent minority

I imagine these affect waiters as well.

I often think that they come from such poor backgrounds and work so hard to support their families and don't see them for such a long time that they must be pretty outraged by some of the waste and excessive consumption they see.

While there is truth in your words, I cannot just cower in the corner and worry about offending the entire population of the world. People are going to get offended, I try my best not to do so, but that is not how this world spins. They are also not the only ones who work hard to support their families and don't get to see them. 'Round here we call them soldiers (who aren't paid all that great either).

Oops, I'm sure I've offended some, but honestly, didn't mean to do so.

Not obese either, unless 115 is obese.

[quote name='wolv4life']Okay, this is where I draw the line. I'm all for being socially aware and making informed decisions. But I'm not going to order dinner on vacation based on whether or not I think I might slightly offend my waiter. If you start worrying about stuff like that what's the point of cruising anymore?

If you feel sorry for the waitstaff, eat what you want and then tip extra. I can assure you they'd rather get paid more than do less work because you are feeling sorry for them.[/QUOTE]

And that is your value system. I am not knocking that. We all have our own. What I would say is that the staff are usually from poorer countries and are economic migrants. They work on ships to earn a decent wage to support their families. A wAge they couldn't get in their own country as the worlds resources are not equitably spread. I am sure that from choice they would rather live and work in the country of their birth whilst still being able to have a decent standard of living.

But the world isn't like that and it's some of the choices of the richer countries that make it even harder for poorer countries. Some overconsume their share if the worlds resources in many ways. For some people that's ok and for others it isn't- we all have different values and need to respect each others.

[quote name='michael-g-rice']You should only order 1 of each course, maybe then cruise fares would drop[/quote]

Can I order two appetizers, a salad, a dessert and no entree instead? I can't eat most of the entrees because of the sauces anyway.

[quote name='cb at sea']If you order them at the same time, they'll bring them at the same time.
[/quote]

If the waiters are good they won't bring them at the same time. They will ask which one you want first, then bring the next when the prior one is finished.

[quote name='huenix']Can I order two appetizers, a salad, a dessert and no entree instead? I can't eat most of the entrees because of the sauces anyway.[/quote]

Of course not! How dare you be different :eek:

(just kidding) -- PS Had to write this because people take everything so seriously.

You go and order whatever you want :)

PSS -- I am offended that you would not order a main dish.

(just kidding again) -- PSSS Had to write this because some people don't read a whole post :D

[quote name='newcatintown']While there is truth in your words, I cannot just cower in the corner and worry about offending the entire population of the world. People are going to get offended, I try my best not to do so, but that is not how this world spins. They are also not the only ones who work hard to support their families and don't get to see them. 'Round here we call them soldiers (who aren't paid all that great either).

Oops, I'm sure I've offended some, but honestly, didn't mean to do so.

Not obese either, unless 115 is obese.[/quote]

My daughter is one of those soldiers. She saw her two daughters 3 and 8 for the first time in 3 1/2 months, last week. I have not heard her complain about everyone eating what they want, while she is out in the field eating K rations. She's glad to have that job so she can feed her family. I'm sure the staff feel the same way.

Our last cruise on lobster night I ordered the lobster. While eating it, the waiter came over and gave me another one. I did not even have to ask for another one. Then when it was time for dessert the waiter asked me what I wanted to order. I said nothing because you don't have anything on here that has chocolate on it. He said to me......would you like a hot fudge brownie sundae? I said sure. It was delicious.

[quote name='bionicman97']Of course not! How dare you be different :eek:

(just kidding) -- PS Had to write this because people take everything so seriously.

You go and order whatever you want :)

PSS -- I am offended that you would not order a main dish.

(just kidding again) -- PSSS Had to write this because some people don't read a whole post :D[/quote]

I eat like a horse. During heavy training I normally eat 3400 cals a day. So on my last cruise we were late dining and went to the WJ at like 6, at "snacks" which was normally close to a full meal for me, then went to dinner. At least one table mate commented on how I always cleaned my plate. I think the only thing i wanted more than one of though was the caprese salad. Best. Caprese. Ever.

And I find this food topic rather amusing. I could debate the relative production costs and long term impact of most diets if anyone cares. Like, to get the same amount of protein as an 8 ounce steak, it takes over twice as much corn production than if you just ate the corn for its protein. So saying "eat less and save the world" is pretty much bogus.

[quote name='anastasia1']And as a result of the farming and production methods cheap food often has a higher environmental cost than more expensive, greener and more sustainable alternatives.

It is the choice that we make.[/quote]

That maybe true on current farming models when comparing current large scale vs smaller greener methods. however it would not be true on the larger scale that is needed to feed our nation. The efficiency of production and transportation of "corporate" farming would win over the small scale small shipments of "greener" farming.

[quote name='huenix']I eat like a horse. During heavy training I normally eat 3400 cals a day. So on my last cruise we were late dining and went to the WJ at like 6, at "snacks" which was normally close to a full meal for me, then went to dinner. At least one table mate commented on how I always cleaned my plate. I think the only thing i wanted more than one of though was the caprese salad. Best. Caprese. Ever.

And I find this food topic rather amusing. I could debate the relative production costs and long term impact of most diets if anyone cares. Like, to get the same amount of protein as an 8 ounce steak, it takes over twice as much corn production than if you just ate the corn for its protein. So saying "eat less and save the world" is pretty much bogus.[/quote]

I am unknowledgeable on the production costs topic, so I cannot comment, but I understand your caloric needs. I do High Intensity Cardio Training 6 days per week and eat approximately 3000 calories per day. If I don't, I lose weight.

[quote name='huenix']I eat like a horse. During heavy training I normally eat 3400 cals a day.

And I find this food topic rather amusing. I could debate the relative production costs and long term impact of most diets if anyone cares. Like, to get the same amount of protein as an 8 ounce steak, it takes over twice as much corn production than if you just ate the corn for its protein. So saying "eat less and save the world" is pretty much bogus.[/QUOTE]

Hi. I wasn't saying eat less And save the world but think about the affects of long term overconsumption. The amount that we need varies by so many factors including gender height weight activity level and sadly age. Food may seem to be 'free' but everything has a cost in some way.

Archived