Double orders in the MDR?

[quote name='sandian']On our last cruise I did not finish most of my Entree this caused my Waiter and Head Waiter upset and I had to insist that I did not want another Entree.

On our next Cruise I have made the decision to have 2 Appetisers and no Entree as my appetite cannot cope with so much food.

Everybody is different.[/quote]

My wife has the same problem. Almost every night, she eats about 1/2 her entree and they always want to bring her another one.

[quote name='bionicman97']My wife has the same problem. Almost every night, she eats about 1/2 her entree and they always want to bring her another one.[/QUOTE]
The Appetisers are so good and easy to eat I might not even manage 2 but will try. If I cant then it will be down to one Appetiser and maybe one dessert as I do not see the point of wasting food.

I would love to be able to eat more, but unfortunately cannot and many are in this situation.

[quote name='dancing bear']I ordered three lobsters on Mariner earlier this year, thinking they would just bring the 3 on one plate with the vegetables. But it resulted in my great waiter Christian having to go back and forth two extra trips to bring me three complete dinners. After reading "Cruise Confidential" and seeing how much extra work this caused the wait staff, I figure from now on I will make do with just a single order.[/quote]

What does "Cruise Confidential" say?

[quote name='anastasia1']And as a result of the farming and production methods cheap food often has a higher environmental cost than more expensive, greener and more sustainable alternatives.

It is the choice that we make.[/quote]

Cheap food has also freed humanity from subsustance farming and hunting/gathering which people struggled and died for tens of thousands of years. Cheap food allows for people to not live hand to mouth, so the majority can be other things than farmers (not that farming isnt a good or noble choice). Cheap food allows those with other talents to persue those talents and provide for humanity in differing ways.
Cheap food has without a doubt, without question or debate, has led directly to the flourishment of science, medicine, arts, etc etc. in the last 500 years Thank you ConAgra and Monsanto!

[quote name='DocHolloway']Cheap food has also freed humanity from subsustance farming and hunting/gathering which people struggled and died for tens of thousands of years. Cheap food allows for people to not live hand to mouth, so the majority can be other things than farmers (not that farming isnt a good or noble choice). Cheap food allows those with other talents to persue those talents and provide for humanity in differing ways.
Cheap food has without a doubt, without question or debate, has led directly to the flourishment of science, medicine, arts, etc etc. in the last 500 years Thank you ConAgra and Monsanto![/quote]Yeah, but think of those poor animals that didn't get live a fun and fulfilling life before they got whacked and eaten. Every time I'm at a restaurant and see free range eggs on the menu, I get all misty eyed thinking about how nice it must have been for that egg to get rolled around the ranch before it got stuffed in the carton.

Yeah, but think of those poor animals that didn't get live a fun and fulfilling life before they got whacked and eaten. Every time I'm at a restaurant and see free range eggs on the menu, I get all misty eyed thinking about how nice it must have been for that egg to get rolled around the ranch before it got stuffed in the carton.

HA, funny:D

I grow free range chickens/eggs, and I assure you that they are pretty oblivious...especially the eggs.

Yeah, but think of those poor animals that didn't get live a fun and fulfilling life before they got whacked and eaten. Every time I'm at a restaurant and see free range eggs on the menu, I get all misty eyed thinking about how nice it must have been for that egg to get rolled around the ranch before it got stuffed in the carton.

Hilarious :D

HA, funny:D

I grow free range chickens/eggs, and I assure you that they are pretty oblivious...especially the eggs.

Oh goodie, someone that will know - why did the chicken cross the road?

There is a farm with free range chickens just a couple blocks away, I pass it daily to and from work. One day, and only One Day, there was a chicken on the other side of the road. She seemed to be searching about in the overgrowth on the side of the road, but I really have not figured out why they stay on "their" side of the road. Except for one chicken, one time.

:confused:

Oh goodie, someone that will know - why did the chicken cross the road?

There is a farm with free range chickens just a couple blocks away, I pass it daily to and from work. One day, and only One Day, there was a chicken on the other side of the road. She seemed to be searching about in the overgrowth on the side of the road, but I really have not figured out why they stay on "their" side of the road. Except for one chicken, one time.

:confused:

If you must know, chickens generally only wander a few hundred feet from their evening roosting site, so if you have land they generally wont wander far from the henhouse. The one alone may have been chased away by a predator/dog or something.

Now one of us should get a prize for being the most off topic of anybody in a while here!:p

Our teenage sons cruised with us a while back. They would frequently request a second meal after they wolfed down their entree. After doing this a couple times, the waiter asked them to 'please order the second entree with the initial order', as it is a bit of a job to get the second entree when the dining room has moved on to deserts.

No problems with the second entree, or second starters, but they preferred to know about it ahead of time.

Lets forget the politics of food consumption and get back to the issue initially presented. I was very fortunate to take a tour of the kitchen facilities last year and the logistics of serving 1,000 people each seating on the ship was explained in great detail. Eindog is correct. The kitchen can easily handle requests for more than one appetizer, salad, main course, etc as long as the requests are placed when the initial orders are taken. Therefore, order as much as you want, just do it when your waiter/waitress takes the initial order and enjoy your food. Your waiters/waitresses will enjoy knowing that they were able to provide you with the food you want without much fuss, as long as you order everything at the beginning of the meal. The staff really wants you to have a good time. I actually enjoy eating the regional food in each port, but that is my preference since I find it enjoyable to experience local cusine when I travel. However, that is not to diminish the pleasure I have when I enter the main dining room and can enjoy great service and multiple selections for each cours at no added charge.

If you must know, chickens generally only wander a few hundred feet from their evening roosting site, so if you have land they generally wont wander far from the henhouse. The one alone may have been chased away by a predator/dog or something.

Now one of us should get a prize for being the most off topic of anybody in a while here!:p

ahhhh, interesting! THANK YOU!

I think the houses are on wheels, which would also explain why I haven't seen any near the road lately - they musta moved them! It's prime visitation time for school groups and such - best to get them away from school buses!

I vote you get the prize. If you don't feel it's an honor, I'll take it. ;)

You should only order 1 of each course, maybe then cruise fares would drop

lol i hope your joking what a load of rubbish:rolleyes:

Why?

What is amusing to me is that people somehow think the food is such a costly item for the cruise ship. The average cost per person for food is around $12 per day. Of course it doesn't include prep, but still the food part of the cruise is very small in comparison to the operating costs of the ship.

I'm actually surprised cruise lines can keep the cost as low as they can and still include food.

Back to the OP's question, there have been times we have ordered an extra entree, usually to share between my husband and I. But to be honest, if they would just bring the main course and leave off the vegetable or other side, it would be fine. But, I think it is too much trouble to do that, since the food is plated and held.

I have read a couple of times of people ordering two mains or starters although I have never seen it. Have you ever done this? Does this mean that you have to wait twice as long if someone on your table does it, or do they bring them out both together? Does this affect the wait staff negatively in any way?

Never had a problem

Never had a problem ordering 2 mains either.

• 4 weeks later...
I think it's hilarious that anybody who patronizes a mass-market cruise line (*cough* anastasia *cough*) would have the nerve to tsk tsk at ANYBODY about overconsumption.

OMG I was thinking the same thing!

Perhaps I missed it while blowing past some of the politically leaning posts, but what I was curious to learn and didn't see posted was the answer to this question: Can you order additional appetizers or entrees in the specialty restaurants?

I'll be dining in Chops one night on my upcoming cruise and the thought of doubling up on the filet mignon might bump my already elevated level of excitement up another notch or two! :)

RCCL were very cleaver when they changed the layout of the menu.

It gives the impression to newbees that you can only order three courses where before it was five.

This saves a little money, but OP you can order as many courses as you like, you can have a main meal as a starter if you want.

RCCL staff have seen it all before, if you like a meal and want it again the following night just ask.

But please order all courses together if you are on a large table though, or it can slow down service.

Something i found out last year, in the Med, the menus are the same on every ship including the chef specials, it is also all sourced in the USA.

On our last cruise italian and spanish families were trying all the courses.

To the OP i have seen people order extras. I have never done so because I find the food adeqate.

I guess alot of people do it because it's free and then when they get home they groan over how much wait they put on during the cruise. The big question is will these folks ask for a second and third if they had to pay for it.:p

But then some people feel I work hard all year and heck i am going all out on my vacation. Nothing wrong with that either I just like everything in moderation. Hate to leave a dinner table feeling uncomfortably stuffed. It's your vacation if you decide to order extras you certainly wont be the only one doing so. Enjoy.

Perhaps I missed it while blowing past some of the politically leaning posts, but what I was curious to learn and didn't see posted was the answer to this question: Can you order additional appetizers or entrees in the specialty restaurants?

I'll be dining in Chops one night on my upcoming cruise and the thought of doubling up on the filet mignon might bump my already elevated level of excitement up another notch or two! :)

I've never ordered more than one entree in the specialties..the portions are too much for me as it is..having said that I do think I've read that ordering an extra entree involves an extra cost in addition to the upcharge.

obesity starts somewhere. At 25 my friend was a 'smaller sized' person. By 33 she was dead from obesity and left a 1 year old orphan. She had the attitude ' well it's free' . It was tragic.

Nothing is free . Everything has a cost. The more we eat the more needs to be produced and the greater the environmental impact. It's a choice we make.

So the whole world should stop eating ? Or should we just eat 3 small meals a day so that the farmers will have more food than they can sell and they can be out of jobs??

Calories in/Calories out. Eat 2 plates...take the stairs and swim a few more laps. Don't put the farmers out of work.

So the whole world should stop eating ? Or should we just eat 3 small meals a day so that the farmers will have more food than they can sell and they can be out of jobs??

Calories in/Calories out. Eat 2 plates...take the stairs and swim a few more laps. Don't put the farmers out of work.

I like the way you think.

I also feel that way about the people who make cheescakes..and creme brulee..and flourless chocolate cake..and.....:p

To the OP i have seen people order extras. I have never done so because I find the food adeqate.

I guess alot of people do it because it's free and then when they get home they groan over how much wait they put on during the cruise. The big question is will these folks ask for a second and third if they had to pay for it.:p

But then some people feel I work hard all year and heck i am going all out on my vacation. Nothing wrong with that either I just like everything in moderation. Hate to leave a dinner table feeling uncomfortably stuffed. It's your vacation if you decide to order extras you certainly wont be the only one doing so. Enjoy.

One evening I couldn't decide which dessert I wanted, and one of my tablemates couldn't decide on an entree. Our waiter suggested we order both and see which one we liked. It's not that we wouldn't pay for it if we had to, but they don't have the luxury of letting you sample something first, so they just bring you both. My daughter and I would share as well. Plus, with all the activities, it's easy to work off the extra calories.

I have an idea :

If someone is so worried about offending their waiter or table mates, you can always eat in the MDR ... then sneak back to your cabin and order room service!

Back in Dec. 04 my mom and I were on Explorer. After dinner we kept talking about how good the escargot was ... next thing you know we had a craving so bad we called room service and ordered 5 of them! :D (They must have thought we were having a party! :p )

Archived