Making copies of photos after the cruise

DonnaK

The pax photos sold by Princess photographers never had a copyright on them that I was ever able to see. However, we were just on the Ruby re-positioning cruise and bought one photo and was surprised to see a copyright mark plainly visible in a 1/4 inch white bar along the bottom along with a bar code, price and description of the background. There is also a copyright mark printed on the reverse side. The picture itself is still 8 x 10.

Copyright?? I have never seen any documents in my photo purchase that says I cannot copy it. Nor have I seen any signs in the ship photo gallery or any mention of it when having pix taken or purchasung them. I don't know what I would be violating by copying them.

You would be violating international copyright law.

Most professional photographs that they do not want you to copy have a watermark imprint that will show up as a streak of color on the copy. Princess photos do not have this.

Just because the photos do not have a watermark does not mean they are not copyrighted. If you pay for an image, it has an automatic copyright. If you take a photo, you automatically own the rights to that photo whether or not it has a watermark.

I just would like to know how you know this? Where is it stated in Princess Policy that you need a copyright waiver. And, if they give a waiver out indiscriminently, why have it?

The issue isn't with Princess. It's with the photo lab that makes copies of a copyright image. A reputable photo lab will ask for a copyright release to protect themselves. Just because Princess will automatically hand out that release does not make it any less of an offense to copy their photos.

I made copies of all my photos that were taken by princess at sam's club - no questions asked.:)

If they see you making the copies, they are breaking the law by not asking for a copyright release. Plain and simple. If Princess wanted to actually prosecute, they would sue you, the employee that copied the photo and the photo lab. Of course, that's not going to happen, but it could....

Many customer service reps (CSR's) do not know about or understand copyright laws, but as a print shop owner I know most. I will not allow copies of photos, books, etc without a release form. Why make 79¢ for a copy that has the potential to cost you thousands?

See: http://www.photolaw.net/faq.html

You can also google kinkos copyright lawsuit and then understand why many copy/print shops will not copy your photos, books, magazines and other published material.

Archived