Qm2 interleading stateroom query

Pikkewyn

Hi Everyone, I hope someone can answer my question.

We are booked in B2 stateroom on Deck 6 for a TA in October. We have friends travelling with us that are booked next door and I have recently noticed that the cabins are interleading with each other (not planned like this).

Where is the interleading door? Is it off the stateroom itself (like opposite the bed) as there are cupboards in the passage, or is the layout a bit different in these cabins? Does anyone have a photo?

We are not sure if this is a good or bad thing and wonder if its not best to keep the door locked rather. I have seen some negative comments with regard to noise, although we can always tell our friend to keep quiet and they wont take exception!

Look forward to hearing any comments, regards Philip

Each stateroom has a door, with just enough space for the doorknobs [the partition wall is not very thick]

The inboard side of the door is about the door's with from the wardrobe [allows it to open flat against the partition wall]

We are booked in B2 stateroom on Deck 6 for a TA in October. We have friends travelling with us that are booked next door and I have recently noticed that the cabins are interleading with each other (not planned like this).

Where is the interleading door? Is it off the stateroom itself (like opposite the bed) as there are cupboards in the passage, or is the layout a bit different in these cabins? Does anyone have a photo?

We are not sure if this is a good or bad thing and wonder if its not best to keep the door locked rather. I have seen some negative comments with regard to noise, although we can always tell our friend to keep quiet and they wont take exception!

Philip,

We had an adjoining stateroom once, and hopefully never again!

During the first day, we could hear some muffled voices from next door, but it was no big deal...until later that night when everything quieted down. As we were getting ready for bed, my husband sneezed. "God bless you" came the clear reply from the woman next door.:eek:

It went downhill from there. Our "neigbors" returned to their stateroom every night between 2am and 4am. They spoke loudly (couldn't tell if they were arguing because I didn't understand the language they were speaking). They'd put the TV on with the volume up. Their phone rang and rang. Finally, the noise would stop around 8am, just as we were getting up. Happily, it was only a five night cruise so we didn't make a fuss.

Obviously, this is not the situation you face because your neighbors are also your friends. Plus we were in a Category A-1, deck 11 back in 2008. Perhaps sound proofing has been improved since then.

But yes, I would keep the door locked if for no other reason that there is very little room when the door opens. There's really no reason not to simply use the main door to the stateroom. BTW, I'm not certain of this, but I think the adjoining balcony partitions can be open if desired. That might be nice if you want to sit with your friends on the balcony and enjoy a beverage, weather permitting.

Have a wonderful voyage.

Salacia

This is a photo of the interleading door in our cabin. There was no problem with hearing the people in the next door cabin, except one morning when the gentleman burst into song, which was actually quite pleasant!

Have a great trip!:)

th_P1080089.jpg

Thanks Salacia and Safarigal for your replies and the very useful photo.

I have seen negative comments before on interleading staterooms and will make sure we never get one unless we have friends next door. Even though we are very close to our friends, I think we will keep this door locked as it will be far too "up front and personal" and cosy with it open!!

The best part of a TA on QM2 is escaping from everyone and having that little afternoon nap that I never get at home!! This alone is good enough reason not to have the door open :)

Thanks again, Philip

BTW, I'm not certain of this, but I think the adjoining balcony partitions can be open if desired. That might be nice if you want to sit with your friends on the balcony and enjoy a beverage, weather permitting.

Does anyone know if balcony partitions can, in fact, be opened? We will be in adjoining (but not interconnecting) rooms with friends and this would be a nice feature.

Does anyone know if balcony partitions can, in fact, be opened? We will be in adjoining (but not interconnecting) rooms with friends and this would be a nice feature.

Yes, it should be possible. You would need to ask the room steward to do it -- they have a special tool.

We had a connecting door in our cabin last year. We didn't hear a sound.

Summergee that is good to know. Soundproofing must have been improved. Unless the connecting stateroom was unoccupied? :) -S

Oh, the interconnecting room was certainly occupied! We could find our way back blindfold as our neighbours smoked so much that we could smell, in the hallway, when we were there!

However, there was never a smell of smoke in our room, and I only noticed it on the balcony once.

Yes, it should be possible. You would need to ask the room steward to do it -- they have a special tool.

Really?? I only thought the new celebrity solstice class ships could do that? Well it's nice to know, wonder why Cunard never said anything about it in the brocoure or something.

Really?? I only thought the new celebrity solstice class ships could do that? Well it's nice to know, wonder why Cunard never said anything about it in the brocoure or something.

One day while in port on a trip on the QM2, we came back to our cabin to discover not only both our dividing balcony partitions had been opened but all the ones on our deck were open from one end to the other. This was because there were workers doing touch-up painting. We were never told that this was going to happen and it should be taken as a warning to always lock your balcony door.

Normally (not in the case of the OP though) it is best to avoid inerconnecting doors if possible. The soundproofing in the cabin bulkhead is really good, but poor where there are just two doors separating the cabins. Smoke is always a possible problem and noise as well.

David.

One day while in port on a trip on the QM2, we came back to our cabin to discover not only both our dividing balcony partitions had been opened but all the ones on our deck were open from one end to the other. This was because there were workers doing touch-up painting. We were never told that this was going to happen and it should be taken as a warning to always lock your balcony door.

That's interesting. It always looked as if the partitions could be opened, but it was never actually done. nice to know.:)

Archived