Shopping question: Philipsburg vs. Marigot

Just one person's opinion, but:

Philipsburg has more shopping, but tends to be of the typical cruise port shopping, i.e. the same jewelry and souvenir stores found throughout the Caribbean. Prices and selection are very good though.

Marigot is more upscale, boutique-type shopping. Prices tend to be higher.

We actually like to hit both.

If you enjoy shopping street vendor/flea market style shopping then Marigot is not to be missed. The Marigot flea market has many more vendors than Phillipsburg.

DH & I enjoy spending a few hours in Marigot and then finishing up our shopping/beach time in Phillipsburg. Best of both worlds.

Dianne

Those were my exact thoughts...thanks for confirming them!!!

The taxi ride to and from Marigot is an excursion in itself!. Beautiful views of the coast and if you get the same French cab driver we had -- woohoo! What a ride around the turns.:D

Dianne

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I spend my entire day in Philipsburg. There is so much to see and do there (ie, shopping, shopping, shopping.) My favorite liquor store is Gulmohar's. Best prices on the island.... Plus, they have a vast array of Cuban cigars....

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=Bellybutton530 (aka Cheryl)&date=11-20-2010&text=My 60th birthday celebration....&ship=Celebrity Constellation

I started to shop at Gulmohars and placed an order to pick up before retuning to the ship. Walked a few doors away and found much cheaper prices for the same items and they refunded my money. Ended up at the center dock and the boardwalk and their prices were even less so I bought there and saved enough to pay for lunch. As far as a craft/spice market, Marigot is better. the stuff in P'burg is like you find on every island, made in China.

• 3 weeks later...
The taxi ride to and from Marigot is an excursion in itself!. Beautiful views of the coast and if you get the same French cab driver we had -- woohoo! What a ride around the turns.:D

Dianne

From the ship, where do you get the taxi to Marigot and how much does it cost? How long is the trip? Is it easy to find a taxi in Marigot for the return trip?

From the ship, where do you get the taxi to Marigot and how much does it cost? How long is the trip? Is it easy to find a taxi in Marigot for the return trip?

There is a taxi stand at the cruise terminal. Talk to the dispatcher about what you want and negotiate a price. Actually he'll tell you how much it will cost. Taxi rates are fixed and posted. Any negotiation is on what you want to do and how long it will take. He will assign you a driver. You can arrange for the taxi that dropped you off to pick you up at an arrange time. Or you can simply book the taxi for a block of time and it will wait for you. There is a taxi area in downtown Marigot - very hard to miss as it is typically populated by dozens of taxis waiting for their passengers.

There is a taxi stand at the cruise terminal. Talk to the dispatcher about what you want and negotiate a price. Actually he'll tell you how much it will cost. Taxi rates are fixed and posted. Any negotiation is on what you want to do and how long it will take. He will assign you a driver. You can arrange for the taxi that dropped you off to pick you up at an arrange time. Or you can simply book the taxi for a block of time and it will wait for you. There is a taxi area in downtown Marigot - very hard to miss as it is typically populated by dozens of taxis waiting for their passengers.

Thanks broberts. I was interested in using a taxi from the cruise terminal so your information is just what I needed. We plan on going to Orient Beach from Marigot, then Dawn Beach and back to Phillipsberg.

Thanks broberts. I was interested in using a taxi from the cruise terminal so your information is just what I needed. We plan on going to Orient Beach from Marigot, then Dawn Beach and back to Phillipsberg.

The only "fixed and posted" rates for the routes that you mention here would be Cruise Facility to Marigot and then Dawn Beach back to Philipsburg (Cruise Facility).

You'll find recent posted rates over in my PhotoBucket.

gary

How important is it to tell the taxi driver a time for him to return to Marigot and pick me up? If I do not tell the taxi a time to return when I first reach Marigot, will I be able to find an not-reserved taxi in Marigot to take me back to the ship?

The only "fixed and posted" rates for the routes that you mention here would be Cruise Facility to Marigot and then Dawn Beach back to Philipsburg (Cruise Facility).

You'll find recent posted rates over in my PhotoBucket.

gary

Wow, Thanks Gary for showing us the taxi rates. I think this option of transportation will work well for us instead of a conventional tour. Will they make us go to other stops if we have a party of 5 and they take on other people, or are these rates for a private taxi (van).

Wow, Thanks Gary for showing us the taxi rates. I think this option of transportation will work well for us instead of a conventional tour. Will they make us go to other stops if we have a party of 5 and they take on other people, or are these rates for a private taxi (van).

We booked a 2 hour private taxi tour for four last year. If memory serves we paid somewhere around $95. In other words, you should not have a problem booking a private taxi (van).

We booked a 2 hour private taxi tour for four last year. If memory serves we paid somewhere around $95. In other words, you should not have a problem booking a private taxi (van).

Great. Thanks. I'm so looking forward to this excursion.

Archived