Scottish Island Mini Cruises - Fascinating

Hi,

If ever you go to Scotland and have anything from a few hours to a day to spare, try hopping on one of the many Caledonian MacBrayne ships that serve as a lifeline to the dozens of islands along the West coast. As a passenger, it costs very little and the trips on these small ships are always interesting. You don't even need to book in advance as a passenger, just turn up a half hour or so before they sail and check in. You could be sitting out on deck in sunshine, on glassy seas, with seabirds, dolphins or whales nearby, as the ships go from the mainland and from island to island, unloading passengers, cars and goods. The passenger lounges are warm and comfortable, the food tasty, the staff and fellow passengers friendly and welcoming. In case you think it's always beautiful, there are cables hanging underneath the restaurant seats, to tie the seats down when the weather gets really rough - many might like this kind of adventure too. Sometimes, you can get off the ship onto an island and explore until the ship returns later in the day. We have done most of these trips and have loved every one.

Well worth doing, even though they aren't "proper cruises".

• 1 month later...

Couldnt agree more BR, I live on Skye & often take the ferry from Uig over to Harris to pick up my granddaughters who live in Stornoway.

I love the journey over especially in the summer, this is when people have the ooportunity to take the ferry over & spend the day either in Harris or Stornoway ( bus from Harris takes you up to Stornoway approx 45 mins take the first ferry over in the morning & catch the last ferry back..or better still spend a day or two on Isle of Harris .

or Isle of Lewis.

The fares are remarkably cheap for foot passenger just over 10 pounds return July 2010

There are other island routes which also offer the opportunity to visit other isles,you can buy island hopper tickets.

Visit Caledonia McBrayne website for all routes & fares.

Enjoy Scotland

• 1 month later...

Dear Friends,

Your story brought back fond memories for me. My late wife,who was a MacKenzie, and I went from Uig to Stornoway the way you did. We visited her cousin, Colin Scott MacKenzie was the District Attorney for Lewis.

Her grandfather was born on Lewis,also.

Archived