ketchikan salmon fishing

sassycat21

Hello everyone

I booked with Experience one charters for July four hours $180 each. Seams like a pretty nice guy and very helpful. This will be our first time fishing out of Ketchikan. Sounds like you don't want to catch to many fish at the cost to send it home.

Duane

Duane & Lorna

Have you checked the price of FRESH Alaska salmon in the stores (AJ's in PHX has fresh as do some of the Asian markets in PHX). $24-43 PER POUND depending on whether it is Copper River or just ocean King.

Since you have already spent the money to go fishing, IMHO, you would be VERY foolish to NOT pay the shipping costs. Even the frozen stuff at Walmart (which is generally Atlantic) is $10-12 per pound.

Here is a new price list from Coal Point (Homer). MOST fish processors charge just about the same all over Alaska and FedEx charges are the same. http://welovefish.com/seafood-processing.htm

Actually, our cruise plans are not until July 2012 but am really anxious to go salmon fishing. After reading all the comments here, I think I'll skip the cruise ship fishing excursion and try going with a private charter like Northern Lights. We will be in Ketchikan from 7am to 3pm so I believe I'll have the time for a trip.

Is early July usually good for salmon fishing in this area? And if so, what kind of salmon?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Have you checked the price of FRESH Alaska salmon in the stores (AJ's in PHX has fresh as do some of the Asian markets in PHX). $24-43 PER POUND depending on whether it is Copper River or just ocean King.

Since you have already spent the money to go fishing, IMHO, you would be VERY foolish to NOT pay the shipping costs. Even the frozen stuff at Walmart (which is generally Atlantic) is $10-12 per pound.

Here is a new price list from Coal Point (Homer). MOST fish processors charge just about the same all over Alaska and FedEx charges are the same. http://welovefish.com/seafood-processing.htm

I agree. And, on top of that, it's such a great feeling when you get to eat the salmon you caught yourself! :D My DD and I will be fishing in Ketchikan July 3. It's her first time salmon fishing, and it was at the top of her excursion list. We're both very excited and you can bet if we are fortunate enough to catch any, every one of them will be processed and shipped home! :D

:D

Actually, our cruise plans are not until July 2012 but am really anxious to go salmon fishing. After reading all the comments here, I think I'll skip the cruise ship fishing excursion and try going with a private charter like Northern Lights. We will be in Ketchikan from 7am to 3pm so I believe I'll have the time for a trip.

Is early July usually good for salmon fishing in this area? And if so, what kind of salmon?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

July is an excellent time to salmon fish in Ketchikan. I have been fishing in Ketchikan for a number of years now. I like to fish with Rick at http://www.explorealaskacharters.com. He has always done a great job for us.

You can expect to catch Kings, Pinks, Silvers, and Chums in July.

Good luck, and have fun.

Wondering how the fishing has been the last couple weeks...??? Anyone back recently with a first-hand report?? DD asks about going salmon fishing more than anything else we're doing on the trip. :D

I'm not in Ketchikan, and haven't fished there, but earlier this year I found some fishing reports...of course now I can find those sites, but I did find this one:

http://www.bellamisty.com/fishing-reports

You can also ask your question on this forum: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php/3-Alaska-Saltwater-Fishing

Wondering how the fishing has been the last couple weeks...??? Anyone back recently with a first-hand report?? DD asks about going salmon fishing more than anything else we're doing on the trip. :D

We fished Ketchikan on 6/10 for 4-5 hours in the morning. First thing skipper said was two pods of Orcas had been hanging around a few days and just left the night before. So right away I wasn't very optimistic.

I caught a 10 lb. king early on and an hour later my wife caught a jack about 7 lbs. And that was it. No bites or anything. About 8 other charters out there and it was my understanding they caught nothing.

In hindsight, we should've had skipper switch to bottom fishing for 2-3 hrs. Can be fun chasing rock fish and he had said he'd done well with them the previous couple days.

Shipped both salmon home - 9 lbs. total for $120. Throw in $150 for charter and another $60 for our stamps/licenses....this is gonna be some very expensive salmon on the BBQ. Oh well....Off to Medford, OR next month for last of spring salmon run and steelhead in the Rogue River.....

I'm not in Ketchikan, and haven't fished there, but earlier this year I found some fishing reports...of course now I can find those sites, but I did find this one:

http://www.bellamisty.com/fishing-reports

You can also ask your question on this forum: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php/3-Alaska-Saltwater-Fishing

Thank you! I'll check out both sites. :D

We fished Ketchikan on 6/10 for 4-5 hours in the morning. First thing skipper said was two pods of Orcas had been hanging around a few days and just left the night before. So right away I wasn't very optimistic.

I caught a 10 lb. king early on and an hour later my wife caught a jack about 7 lbs. And that was it. No bites or anything. About 8 other charters out there and it was my understanding they caught nothing.

In hindsight, we should've had skipper switch to bottom fishing for 2-3 hrs. Can be fun chasing rock fish and he had said he'd done well with them the previous couple days.

Shipped both salmon home - 9 lbs. total for $120. Throw in $150 for charter and another $60 for our stamps/licenses....this is gonna be some very expensive salmon on the BBQ. Oh well....Off to Medford, OR next month for last of spring salmon run and steelhead in the Rogue River.....

Sorry to hear that. I've taken DD bottom fishing before (out of Newport) and we really enjoyed it. That's what has her looking forward to salmon fishing. I know it's expensive (fished in Ketchikan in 2001 on our first Alaska cruise), but I don't often get the chance, so will just have to pay the price. I just hope my luck is more like what I had before (caught 5) than what you had so recently :eek: Of course, I'd prefer salmon, but I'll be happy bottom fishing, too, if that's what we need to do.

I from southern Oregon--grew up 1/4 mile from the Rogue in Grants Pass. I've spent a lot of time on that river, though not that much in the Medford area. Good luck!

Archived