Just off the Dream!

spenc

I was not aware it was an outside access hotel. I was traveling with two other women and NEVER stay at outside access hotels because I just don't feel safe. Never occurred to me that a Radisson would be like this. It just seemed like a re-done La Quinta. Nothing wrong with La Quinta, but when you are paying for a Radisson, you don't want to end up at a La Quinta! the cabinet door inside the room was just stuck on the cabinet. Not secured so when we opened the cabinet, it fell off. The secure parking is a arm across the driveway. Anyone can walk across the sidewalk. Not that any parking was available because they let people hauling boats park across 4 or 5 spaces apiece so we had to park in the convention center parking lot which is basically where you leave your car for the week you are gone if you take their shuttle. I did not leave my car there, instead opting to go ahead and park at the pier because I was not comfortable leaving my car in the back of the convention center. The manager's response to our issues were "sorry - I can't do anything about it."

Yes, I will post a review a little later today. Just a quick run down though. LOVED THE SPA!!!! The spa pass for the week is definitely worth every penny! Ship didn't seem crowded unless you wanted to eat on the Lido at noon. Mongolian grill was wonderful as was the Tandoori and the Pasta Bar. Did notice "the smell" but went away quickly so not really an issue. Serenity deck was very nice, but hard to get one of the covered chairs because people came out early and saved them. No trouble finding a chair by the pool.

Spenc- What bar would offer the best sail-a-way opportunity? Our thread is planning a quick get together and I'd appreciate any info you could provide a a geat vantage point. Regards, DMaugle

There are a couple of bars on the Lanai deck (6). There is some seating outside and a nice bar inside. They are kind of behind the hot tub but you can see around them. The Serenity deck is also nice and there are some chairs and couches and a nice bar. I think that is on 12. Lido deck is on 10 but if you go to 11 or 12 there is some covered seating along the windows that are convenient to the bar. There are so many places to just hang out on this ship. That was one of the nice things about it.

last year on my FOS cruise. It's VERY close to the pier and the hotel was exactly what they advertised. If you look at pics of the hotel you can see that it's not a high rise indoor hotel. The room was accessible from the outside. It has a nice pool area with a hot springs-style outdoor hottub, and bar, and the parking was very convenient for us! We left our car there for the week, with NO problems. When we booked the hotel, we reserved our spot on the earliest shuttle and they honored it.

So I suppose YMMV, just as with anything else.

spenc...the Country Inn and Suites next tot he Radisson is an "inside" access hotel. Also very nice, clean large rooms, good breakfast. Parking is lite and they do patrol the lot. Pool area isn't as expansive as the Radisson, but still nice.

Dmaugle...the Sunset Bar and aft area of the Lido deck ( by the statue) is also a good area for a meet and greet if you have a lot of folks on your Roll Call. Serenity deck , may not be able to accomodate too many and if some of them are bringing their children, they children wouldn't be allowed. Fora small group though it's very nice.

There are a couple of bars on the Lanai deck (6). There is some seating outside and a nice bar inside. They are kind of behind the hot tub but you can see around them. The Serenity deck is also nice and there are some chairs and couches and a nice bar. I think that is on 12. Lido deck is on 10 but if you go to 11 or 12 there is some covered seating along the windows that are convenient to the bar. There are so many places to just hang out on this ship. That was one of the nice things about it.

For what it's worth, the lanai is on deck 5 not 6. Starboard side is non-smoking, portside is smoking. This was one of my favorite spots on the ship.

You are right about the Lanai being Deck 5. I had a mental block about that ALL week for some reason!! LOL. Could have been the martini's I guess.

About the Radisson - I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just do not think it was a very nice hotel. I've never stayed at a Radisson before that had cabinet doors fall off in my hand before and I do not think it was a safe place to leave my car at all. You are basically just parking it in an open parking lot.

We just came off this same cruise and we also stayed at the Raddison. We enjoyed our stay there and had no issues. Yes it is an outside access hotel but I never felt unsafe at all. We walked right next door and ate at Katrina's (I think, it was a pizza place). We loved the pool. It was very crowded but wasn't a problem. Our little girl enjoyed her pre-cruise swim. The shuttle to and from the port was SOOOO nice! The driver was so funny and made things fun. The cruise parking wasn't an issue to us either. The cruise terminal parking is outside as well so not really sure what the benefit is...But as others have said, you are entitled to your own opinion. The only bad thing I have to say about the Raddison is I hated the sleep number beds. Felt like I was sleeping on an air mattress. We got our room on priceline for less than $100 and that comes with free cruise parking. The hospitality was great also. We actually left a bag on the shuttle coming back from the cruise and didn't realize it until we got home. I called them and they are fedexing it to us. So not like us to forget something like that! :rolleyes: I have no issues with them pending we get our bag back! :-)

Cruise was nice as well. We did smell "THE SMELL" but it wasn't a vacation breaker. Never felt overcrowded to us. Just avoid Lido buffet during peak times. Food was the best on this ship that we have ever had. Service was wonderful. Dining rooms were running slow, not the servers fault. It took us on average 1 hr 15-1 hr 30 mins to eat dinner and with a 3 yr old that can get rough. It needs to speed up a bit. ship was beautiful and clean. The entertainment was lacking a little. Did not care for the cruise director. He seemed to always be on the tv or the big screen but never saw him much in person. Very odd. We did hear a lot of people complaining about this ship and it's "many" problems but they must have very high expectations. This was our 9th cruise and we have learned that you make your vacation what it is. It is a cruise with 3,000+ people. If you want more personalized attention, less crowds, etc....find a different type of vacation! Pretty simple right?

Agree with you totally about the food and our dinners took awhile also but since we were three ladies, it was okay. Would have been harder with a little one. Food was so good though! Also with so many people I was very pleasantly surprised that it wasn't crowded feeling. Very open and there were times we were on our balcony and looking down to the deck below couldn't see a single person. Ship was very open.

Glad ya'll had a good experience at the Radisson. I wish we had, but I was so disappointed. Won't ever stay there again.

Agree with you totally about the food and our dinners took awhile also but since we were three ladies, it was okay. Would have been harder with a little one. Food was so good though! Also with so many people I was very pleasantly surprised that it wasn't crowded feeling. Very open and there were times we were on our balcony and looking down to the deck below couldn't see a single person. Ship was very open.

Glad ya'll had a good experience at the Radisson. I wish we had, but I was so disappointed. Won't ever stay there again.

Are the bacon police on this ship?

Are the bacon police on this ship?

There was someone serving the bacon at the buffet but there were no restrictions in the amount you could have. They served it and I saw people ask for more and they literally filled their plate with it at their request.....why anyone would want to eat that much bacon, is beyond me..

Yes, I will post a review a little later today. Just a quick run down though. LOVED THE SPA!!!! The spa pass for the week is definitely worth every penny! Ship didn't seem crowded unless you wanted to eat on the Lido at noon. Mongolian grill was wonderful as was the Tandoori and the Pasta Bar. Did notice "the smell" but went away quickly so not really an issue. Serenity deck was very nice, but hard to get one of the covered chairs because people came out early and saved them. No trouble finding a chair by the pool.

Please tell me what all was included with the spa pass and what did you use and enjoy the most.

thanks

Are there showers to cool off in on the Serenity deck?

The soda card was $50/person. That was absolutely ridiculous to me! I guess if you are a soda-holic it would pay off but it wasn't for us.

The bacon police were in full force for us. My hubby would go up there and they would hand him 1 piece. He would just stand there and stand there until they would hand over more. :D I understand people waste food and it is a pricey item so as long as they do give you more if you ask for it I'm ok with it.

The spa pass was definitely worth the money. We signed up on the first day because they only sell a certain number of the weekly passes. They ran a special that for $300 per couple you got to use the VIP areas and you got one use of the mud room. My sister and I split the pass and used the mud room at two different times, but I can see using it together if you go as a couple. That was my favorite thing! It would normally have cost $95 and you got exclusive use of the room for that one hour. You had the scrub, mud and various moisturizers and facial cleansers and masks. I have a problem with dry skin and do not think my skin ever felt softer. It was wonderful.

The spa pass includes the thalossotherapy pool which I loved. Wasn't ever crowded. There are spouts on one side that have three streams of water coming from them that if you stand under them, shoots water at the base and on either side of your neck or back. Feels like a massage. Then you have the thermal stone beds that you can lay on, along with two steam rooms and one heated sauna type room with the dry heat. That one had stone chairs and a couple of reclined lounge chairs (also stone). Then there was a cooling room with some padded chairs where you could have tea, or water with lemon and cucumber. They also had apples and oranges. Very nice relaxing room. Most of the rooms had floor to ceiling windows where you could look out over the water. They had locker rooms where you could leave your things and a couple of really nice showers with hair dryers. Also provided robes and towels. There were several days I took my shower in there before dinner since we had three ladies in our cabin.

We were on the Dream on the 4/10 sailing and we stayed at the Raddison. Booked on priceline for $98 (i think.......) including cruise parking and shuttle.

We enjoyed the hotel. I'd looked at the pictures online so I knew it was an outside access property beforehand. Our room was OK, nothing great, but neat and clean. The pool area is awesome as was the complimentary breakfast buffet.

Because of 2 large wedding parties sailing on Dream and staying at the Raddison the hotel shuttles were booked until 1:00pm, so we opted for the $4 per person taxi. No big deal, we should have reserved our shuttle sooner.

I didn't have any issues with the parking, we always make sure that there is nothing left in the car that would tempt theives wherever we park overnight.

In fact, one of my co-workers recently stayed at this hotel prior to their RCL cruise based on my recommendation. They had a good experience too.

As for the ship and cruise. I thought the Dream was great. I never encountered the "smell" that has grabbed so much attention. I'm not saying it does not exist, just that I didn't encounter it.

Yes, there were Bacon Police most of the time, but if you asked for more, they would give it to you.

Overall I thought that the quality of the food on this cruise was the best we have yet encountered. The Lido was sometimes crowded but not terribly so. The sheer variety of Lido offerings on this ship was great! The Steakhouse ($30 pp extra) is not to be missed.

About the only things I think CCL could have done better are:

The main theater was, IMHO, a bit undersized for the number of passengers. The shows were generally very good to great, but required getting there early.

I found the interior deck layout to be a bit confusing, particularly on the Lido. It took me a couple of days to get comfortable with finding my way around.

Overall we really liked the ship, and the crew and service were fantastic.

Archived