Princess Beds

Flyguy35

This will be our first cruise on Princess and I have been spending time reading through the different forums. One things that keeps coming up is the firmness/hardness of the beds on Princess ships. We have been on three different cruise lines and have never had a problem with the beds. Why is it that Princess seems to problems with the beds seeing that the parent company Carnival does not see problems on their other company ships. I also notice that the Island Princess is going in for refit and was wondering will they be changing out the beds during the refit.

Thanks for your input.

Duane

I believe bed comfort is quite subjective. We happen to like a firm bed, so those on Princess usually suit us just fine.

I say usually because on our last two cruises on the Grand the mattresses were completely worn out and much too soft for us. They offered no support at all.

There are a lot of comments here on CC about the beds, but most people don't comment at all. It's the vocal few who have a problem with the mattress firmness who speak up.

You can always request a foam mattress topper from your cabin steward if you feel your mattress is too firm.

Lew

I have been on 15 Princess cruises (over 100 nights) and slept like a baby every single night. I don't have an issue with their beds but I guess some folks do.

Ditto that!!!

I wish I had one at home.... but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...

I'm afraid I can't say that I found the 3rd person bed in the Star Princess's balcony rooms very comfortable... and I actually sleep on, and prefer, hard mattresses!

I asked this in a separate thread already, but just out of curiosity, would an egg crate / foam topper help someone like me who prefers their mattresses hard?

We were on the Coral recently and this is the first time a cruiseship mattress bothered me. In fact, it was so firm I couldn't sleep and my back hurt in the morning. I'd had 1 eggcrate put on the bed before embarkation, and after my problems our wonderful cabin steward found us a 2nd one, and that made it just right.

I sleep on an expensive memory foam bed at home so I am picky. I found the Princess bed on the Emerald Princess cruise I just took (May 9-16) to be a little hard. The steward added an egg crate (foam) at my request and I slept fine although I had a few more body aches in the morning than I'm used to. Still, I slept so I guess it was fine.

I'm afraid I can't say that I found the 3rd person bed in the Star Princess's balcony rooms very comfortable... and I actually sleep on, and prefer, hard mattresses!

I asked this in a separate thread already, but just out of curiosity, would an egg crate / foam topper help someone like me who prefers their mattresses hard?

I sleep on an extra-firm mattress at home, with a foam topper as well as a quilted pad. So I get the firmness I need in a mattress as well as the cozy comfort factor.

Just off Sapphire and had an egg crate on the bed upon arrival which I ordered. Doing ok til the last 2 nights then I had to take advil before going to bed so the aches weren't too bad. Of course, it could be that the bones are just getting on in time:D

I agree that the feel of the bedding is quite subjective, and we have been on several with no problems. However on our last cruise on the Crown, after the first night, my back was really bothering me. Asked the steward for an egg crate, and it helped, but it was a bit troublesome the rest of the week. I do think that is something that Princess can improve on though.

Mike

I believe they replace mattresses throughout the cruising season, rather than an entire change-out during dry dock (suspect that's why some beds are squishy vs the extremely hard). Be prepared for hard and request an egg-crate as soon as you board if you have concerns. Our cabin steward also added two comforters on the bottom to help since I was having aches and back pain in the morning. We love Princess and don't want to switch to another company so now we bring memory foam, which is a minor expense to ensure a week or more of comfort.

I think the mattresses are too firm. I say they are pretty close to being hard as a rock. I do request foam toppers which sometimes help and sometimes don't do much. I just came back from a trip with stays in 4 different hotels and they all had nice comfortable beds. I think Princess could do a lot better in this area.

I AGREE! We shouldn't HAVE to request foam toppers. We always pick a hotel known for their great beds and we should look forward to the same thing on our cruise. We went on a river cruise one time and the beds folded down from the wall. To our surprise, the mattress was absolutely fantastic. Even a firm mattress should have a plush enough top to be comfortable. Do people complain about beds on the other cruise lines as often as they do here?

My wife and I slept VERY well during each night (38 nights) of our past cruises! We never had a single complaint about the beds, and the pillows were actually very fluffy! We are both in our early 30s, so maybe this is why we haven't had any bed problems yet (if we were older, maybe we would feel more uncomfortable...who knows?).

To be fair though, I did fall asleep on our carpeted floor in front of the TV last night, and I slept like a baby for 5 hours....and awoke feeling fine! :) In all seriousness though, I've slept in some uncomfortable hotel beds, but Princess beds have all been very comfortable!

How one feels about the beds on Princess can be pretty subjective. No, their mattresses are not the same as we have at home but we don't have a major problem with the ones on our Princess sailings either.;) No matter where we travel or stay the one thing that's always nice about returning home is sleeping on our on bedding.:)

Archived