? about Travelex and their statements re: ash coverage

This is directly from their site:

Travelers who purchased a Travelex policy according to these dates will be eligible for coverage:

On or before April 14, 2010 or

On or after May 5, 2010

I don't understand why if you bought between the 14th and 5th you won't be covered. I purchased April 18th in order to qualify for cancel for any reason coverage. Now, I'm wondering if I should buy an additional policy just in order to qualify for coverage if there is another ash issue.

If you have "Cancel for Any Reason" then you should be fine...because you can indeed then cancel for ANY reason. Even if an ash cloud disrupts your plans, you could tell them your dog is sick and can't go, and you should be covered.

"Any reason" means just that. For verification, just call your carrier and double-check.

The rest of that statement reads:

"Coverage also applies to travelers who purchased a Travelex policy on or after April 24, 2010 if their trip departs May 6, 2010 or thereafter and the resulting cancellation occurs after May 6."

Basically, what they're saying is that policies purchased from April 14th through April 24th do not have the volcano coverage. This policy was stated on their web site at the time as no one knew what was going on for that 10-day period and what the long-term repercussions would be. Now that they have a better handle on the situation they're basically reverting to the pre-volcano coverage for plans purchased after April 24th but they're not retroactively adding the volcano coverage back into policies bought in that 10-day period.

If you have "Cancel for Any Reason" then you should be fine...because you can indeed then cancel for ANY reason. Even if an ash cloud disrupts your plans, you could tell them your dog is sick and can't go, and you should be covered.

"Any reason" means just that. For verification, just call your carrier and double-check.

The problem is that you would need at least 48 hours warning that there's a problem. If you're at the airport when you're notified that your flights are canceled for something like this you're out of luck using the cancel for any reason benefit. It probably gives you more security than otherwise but it won't help in all cases.

Yes, that's the issue. You have to cancel so many hours beforehand. That's why I'm not sure if I should consider buying a basic regular policy now that would cover any cancellation from the ash. We already have two insurance plans (bought within those 10 days that aren't covered- one free from TA and then the one I purchased with the cancellation clause).

Archived