New Poll: Who else IS sick of the smugglers....

saturnsc

Are you as sick of the smugglers as I am?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. Are you as sick of the smugglers as I am?

• Yes! it's the reason cruise & drink prices have gone up so much
    • No! as I pack another rum runner thank you very much.
    • Indifferent eh, I'm sure there's things that I do that they don't like too
    • I'm not sure why I clicked on this thread...

Why do I always get the impression that people who smuggle think that people who are against smuggling don't drink?

Carnival counts on the drinkers to buy their liquor on board as part of their revenue base. If everyone decided it was ok to smuggle and not buy their alcohol on board, then they would sail at a loss. So they put rules in place to prevent this. Which is their right. It is their ship. You have a choice not to sail on their ship if you don't like the rules set forth in their contract. They are not twisting your arm to purchase a ticket.

Personnally, we don't smuggle but that doesn't mean we don't drink. I buy our alcohol from the Bon Voyage Department and DOD's from the bar. I also bring on my allotted bottles of wine. What I don't do, is purposely break the contract I agreed to with Carnival by smuggling liquor on board. Why? Because I agreed not to when I purchased my ticket.

Or maybe Carnival would offer an affordable "all-inclusive" package or lower their prices so people would not feel the need to smuggle. I for one would not smuggle if either of the two mentioned instances were true.

Maybe the cruise lines should all do spot checks, and if caught, you don't board the ship, and don't get a refund!!! we can legally take a bottle of wine on board with us, and we can buy alcohol for consumption in our rooms. I don't even see why these people bother to smuggle anyway! So what if it's a little more than we'd pay at home. Would you smuggle your own drinks in to a nice restaurant because you think the prices are too high? These people are just ridiculous.

I do, and I also bring some to a nightclub here as well in a small flask.

I also bring my own snack into a movie theatre!!:eek: (and my flask)

Steve

Or maybe Carnival would offer an affordable "all-inclusive" package or lower their prices so people would not feel the need to smuggle. I for one would not smuggle if either of the two mentioned instances were true.

But.... but... (and this is just me asking)

Do you really HAVE to drink? Do you really have to drink so much that the prices are unaffordable?

I mean I have been known to tie one on every once in awhile but I dont break my bank to do it.

What is wrong with having 2 or 3 drinks a day... Thats what like $30 if the drinks were $10 a pop. To much? Maybe but how often do you get to relax on a ship and be catered to?

Do you have to drink so much to "enjoy" yourself and the cruise that the prices are to high?

This is the part I do not get. (not in you just in everyone in general) I mean if you want to get tipsy drink a lot at home its cheaper. I thought the whole point of the cruise is to relax (yes with a drink or two) and enjoy it. If (MO) you are breaking your wallet becasue of the prices of drinks it just seems you are drinking to much....

I mean there is a time and place for everything.... Maybe getting tipsy/drunk on a cruise is not that time or place for people that need to worry about the cost of drinks. Im sure there are some people that "budget" for their ability to drink as much as they want.

I guess what im saying is the prices are only high if you want/need to drink a lot. Having a drink or two (even if the prices are high) are not that bad in moderation.

Not saying you NEED to drink. Not saying you are a bad person. Not saying I dont drink. Not saying I have never been stumble around drunk wake up in someones front lawn the next morning.

Ok - so DH and I have smuggled our liquor on board. Does that mean we buy less drinks at the bar? Definitely not. What we have smuggled is merely for enjoyment in our stateroom. If we didn't have it - we still would not leave to go get a drink and come back, we'd just have water or something.

But - with Carnival having the Bon Voyage program where you can order liquor to have in your room (granted, for $20 - $30 more per bottle) we will take advantage of this and don't mind paying more for the convenience - let Carnival make money. Our whole reason for 'smuggling' is to have it right there in our room. But, I am certainly happy to pay more for a bottle that I can 'legally' have in the room instead of going through the hassle of smuggling.

And again - we will still be buying drinks at the bar.

From the practical business perspective, why should they? Why should they kill the golden goose. Don't you think they'd rather just nail you for smuggling and keep their bar prices where they are?

Also, does anyone feel the "need" to smuggle? Isn't it more of a desire to drink on the cheap and the convenience of having booze in your cabin? Surely you're not going to shrivel up and die if you don't smuggle.

It may be possible to see liquor prices decrease as sales go up. Not saying they would but a possibility.

Wow.

I honestly didn't think anyone actually WOULD say this! :eek:

(why am I actually surprised??? :confused: )

I don't care if someone hides booze in their underwear in a suitcase. I just am amazed that they brag about it.

I think part of it may have been because people were getting more and more brazen and obnoxious in their smuggling to the point where they were wheeling multiple coolers on board and then immediately posting about how cool they were and how much they had cheated Carnival out of in alcohol revenue. At some point' date=' that had to tinkle off someone at Carnival who had some influence.

.[/quote']

Amen to both statements

But.... but... (and this is just me asking)

Do you really HAVE to drink? Do you really have to drink so much that the prices are unaffordable?

I mean I have been known to tie one on every once in awhile but I dont break my bank to do it.

What is wrong with having 2 or 3 drinks a day... Thats what like $30 if the drinks were $10 a pop. To much? Maybe but how often do you get to relax on a ship and be catered to?

Do you have to drink so much to "enjoy" yourself and the cruise that the prices are to high?

This is the part I do not get. (not in you just in everyone in general) I mean if you want to get tipsy drink a lot at home its cheaper. I thought the whole point of the cruise is to relax (yes with a drink or two) and enjoy it. If (MO) you are breaking your wallet becasue of the prices of drinks it just seems you are drinking to much....

I mean there is a time and place for everything.... Maybe getting tipsy/drunk on a cruise is not that time or place for people that need to worry about the cost of drinks. Im sure there are some people that "budget" for their ability to drink as much as they want.

I guess what im saying is the prices are only high if you want/need to drink a lot. Having a drink or two (even if the prices are high) are not that bad in moderation.

Not saying you NEED to drink. Not saying you are a bad person. Not saying I dont drink. Not saying I have never been stumble around drunk wake up in someones front lawn the next morning.

It's not about getting tanked or blasted...I won't do either on the cruise, but I do enjoy the nice feel from a few drinks. :D You are acting like people are smuggling on enough to keep a navy ship drunk for a week.:eek: I would think most smugglers smuggle on 1 bottle of their favorite drink. When I actually think about it, I do it really for one reason 1) If I didn't smuggle, I would not pay to have a drink in my cabin before dinner or going out. No reason other than I just wouldn't pay the $7-$8 dollars for it, BUT I really enjoy it, therefore I will do what I feel necessary to have it. It's not that I can't afford it, not that at all. For all you know, I could be a millionaire and have more than enough money at my disposal, but still I consider how I spend my money.

Wow.

I honestly didn't think anyone actually WOULD say this! :eek:

(why am I actually surprised??? :confused: )

Hey...I didn't say the fares would go up (that was the question) because I don't beleive that fares have any basis in liquor sales. The fares are based on supply/demand for any given cabin on any given sailing. I said there was a "possibility" that drink prices may go down. Didn't say they would, but that it was a possibility.

It's not about getting tanked or blasted...I won't do either on the cruise, but I do enjoy the nice feel from a few drinks. :D You are acting like people are smuggling on enough to keep a navy ship drunk for a week.:eek:

People have posted pictures of their booty. It's not an unconsiderable amount of booze. I could have thrown a decent-sized party with what some people brought for two people for a five day cruise.

It's not about getting tanked or blasted...I won't do either on the cruise, but I do enjoy the nice feel from a few drinks. :D You are acting like people are smuggling on enough to keep a navy ship drunk for a week.:eek: I would think most smugglers smuggle on 1 bottle of their favorite drink. When I actually think about it, I do it really for one reason 1) If I didn't smuggle, I would not pay to have a drink in my cabin before dinner or going out. No reason other than I just wouldn't pay the $7-$8 dollars for it, BUT I really enjoy it, therefore I will do what I feel necessary to have it. It's not that I can't afford it, not that at all. For all you know, I could be a millionaire and have more than enough money at my disposal, but still I consider how I spend my money.

But to have that drink in your cabin you can do the BV thing.... And I understand you when you say that you consider how you spend your money.

So with that in mind you either HAVE to have a drink and smuggle. OR You dont HAVE to drink and you smuggle to save money.

If you are watching how you spend your money you know ahead of time the money you "need" to spend. So with that you plan accordingly. If you feel the cost is to great you do not partake in that as you are watching your money.... Yet you smuggle.... which indicates you NEED the drink as you are not watching your money to properly allot for what you want...

I have read that 4 times and it makes sense but is also confusing... :D

That's why there is Bon Voyage. Yes it is more expensive than buying a bottle at home (but that is to be expected), but it is a lot less than spending $7/$8 per drink for it and your not breaking any your contract to get it. Plus you can have it right in your cabin. Just like you wanted.

That's why there is Bon Voyage. Yes it is more expensive than buying a bottle at home (but that is to be expected), but it is a lot less than spending $7/$8 per drink for it and your not breaking any your contract to get it. Plus you can have it right in your cabin. Just like you wanted.

Like I said, I'm not paying $60 for a bottle of liquor I can get at home for $20, not going to happen. :rolleyes:

Like I said, I'm not paying $60 for a bottle of liquor I can get at home for $20, not going to happen. :rolleyes:

So you need that bottle in order to enjoy yourself on the cruise is what im reading....

If you dont need it you dont have to pay the high prices and you dont have to smuggle.....

So why smuggle?

So you need that bottle in order to enjoy yourself on the cruise is what im reading....

If you dont need it you dont have to pay the high prices and you dont have to smuggle.....

So why smuggle?

why not smuggle? Why do you care so much?

why not smuggle? Why do you care so much?

I care so much as I am having an intelligent conversation that is all. Other then that I really dont care.

My question to you would be why are you caring about what I care or not care about?

Any other cares?

I care so much as I am having an intelligent conversation that is all. Other then that I really dont care.

My question to you would be why are you caring about what I care or not care about?

Any other cares?

Yes, I have many others. You?

So why smuggle?

The way you word it, it's like you are insinuating I HAVE to have it to enjoy myself (or anyone else who smuggles). That'snot the case, I don't have to have it and would have a perfectly good time without it. But, I prefer to have it. I prefer to smuggle at a cheaper price. I could easily afford the higher cost and it woudl not effect my budget at all (as I am sure it would not affect the others that smuggle) and buy from Carnival, but I prefer not to. I prefer to spend less for same product. I don't get why that is so hard for some to understand:confused:

So why smuggle?

Why would you draw the conclusion I need the bottle to enjoy myself? How in the world do you jump to that from what I've posted????? Why smuggle you ask...BECAUSE IT IS CHEAPER AND MORE CONVENIENT THAN CARNIVAL AND I DO NOT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT IT....it's that simple ;).

The way you word it, it's like you are insinuating I HAVE to have it to enjoy myself (or anyone else who smuggles). That'snot the case, I don't have to have it and would have a perfectly good time without it. But, I prefer to have it. I prefer to smuggle at a cheaper price. I could easily afford the higher cost and it woudl not effect my budget at all (as I am sure it would not affect the others that smuggle) and buy from Carnival, but I prefer not to. I prefer to spend less for same product. I don't get why that is so hard for some to understand:confused:

I will try to explain then why it is hard for at least me to understand.

If I can afford (be it money or otherwise) to do something without breaking the law and or rules that are in place I do it. I do not attempt to lie, cheat, steal or deceive in order to do it.

So when I speak or meet with people that can also do things without breaking the law and or rules that are in place it makes me wonder why they do it.

You are not doing it cause you dont have the money. You are not doing it cause you have to. (we have now cleared that up ;) ).

You are doing it because you refuse to pay more for something that you can get less elsewhere.....

Which would then, based on my "why im curious", beg me to ask why do you even drink on a cruise if you dont have to drink and dont want to spend the money to drink..... It (to me ) does not add up.

Speaking at pnjkeith for a second I can see why people smuggle cigars. You really cant get them easily anywhere else. Is it wrong. yup. Is it against the law? Yup. But at least there is a "valid" (if you want to call it that) reason that makes sense why someone would smuggle a Cuban cigar.

Your reasoning (imo) defies logic. Thats all. :D

I was afraid that when I quit reading this yesterday that this might die out. But thank goodness it is still going. Glad to see it hasn't gotten personal or anything. From the looks of it today they all should reach an agreement on this topic that all involved will support. Yes sir I think both sides are willing to find that common ground between them.........Oh heck who am I kidding this is about as settled as that ole "toilet paper over the top or the back" situation and nearly as important. Oh Well happy cruising to all.

I was afraid that when I quit reading this yesterday that this might die out. But thank goodness it is still going. Glad to see it hasn't gotten personal or anything. From the looks of it today they all should reach an agreement on this topic that all involved will support. Yes sir I think both sides are willing to find that common ground between them.........Oh heck who am I kidding this is about as settled as that ole "toilet paper over the top or the back" situation and nearly as important. Oh Well happy cruising to all.

I think we got Aknot almost ready to stuff a pint in his shoe his next cruise :D

I think we got Aknot almost ready to stuff a pint in his shoe his next cruise :D

;)

Never. However I wont do a Invasion of the Body Snatchers pointing at people as they try to board... ;)

Archived