New Poll: Who else IS sick of the smugglers....

saturnsc

Are you as sick of the smugglers as I am?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. Are you as sick of the smugglers as I am?

• Yes! it's the reason cruise & drink prices have gone up so much
    • No! as I pack another rum runner thank you very much.
    • Indifferent eh, I'm sure there's things that I do that they don't like too
    • I'm not sure why I clicked on this thread...

I will try to explain then why it is hard for at least me to understand.

If I can afford (be it money or otherwise) to do something without breaking the law and or rules that are in place I do it. I do not attempt to lie, cheat, steal or deceive in order to do it.

So when I speak or meet with people that can also do things without breaking the law and or rules that are in place it makes me wonder why they do it.

You are not doing it cause you dont have the money. You are not doing it cause you have to. (we have now cleared that up ;) ).

You are doing it because you refuse to pay more for something that you can get less elsewhere.....

Which would then, based on my "why im curious", beg me to ask why do you even drink on a cruise if you dont have to drink and dont want to spend the money to drink..... It (to me ) does not add up.

Speaking at pnjkeith for a second I can see why people smuggle cigars. You really cant get them easily anywhere else. Is it wrong. yup. Is it against the law? Yup. But at least there is a "valid" (if you want to call it that) reason that makes sense why someone would smuggle a Cuban cigar.

Your reasoning (imo) defies logic. Thats all. :D

Because the "punishment" ie --liquor being confiscated is not nearly enough deterant. Plus, I look at like they are trying to cheat me (and other drinkers) for charging such high prices when they have you in a fish bowl. In my opinion, their prices are not fair (you can't compare it to a restaurant b/c you are not in a restaurant ALL day long 5-7 days).

I can see why people smuggle cigars. You really cant get them easily anywhere else. Is it wrong. yup. Is it against the law? Yup. But at least there is a "valid" (if you want to call it that) reason that makes sense why someone would smuggle a Cuban cigar.

valid...?? imo, smuggling cubans is worse than smuggling liquor. not that i care who does what. but by smuggling cubans you are breaking trade laws of the united states. smuggling liquor, beer, etc is breaking a rule in the cruise contract.:confused:

Because the "punishment" ie --liquor being confiscated is not nearly enough deterant. Plus, I look at like they are trying to cheat me (and other drinkers) for charging such high prices when they have you in a fish bowl. In my opinion, their prices are not fair (you can't compare it to a restaurant b/c you are not in a restaurant ALL day long 5-7 days).

but see... and Im not saying you are....however, When you make statements such as "Plus, I look at like they are trying to cheat me (and other drinkers) for charging such high prices when they have you in a fish bowl." my answer is you dont have to drink....and you agree that you dont have to drink.

Yet you smuggle so you can drink... at a lesser cost...but you can afford the higher price...

I think we may have to just agree we dont understand each other. :D I wil try to refrain from eluding you are a cheap drunk if you dont call me a Holier then thou stick in the mud.

Hows that?

valid...?? imo, smuggling cubans is worse than smuggling liquor. not that i care who does what. but by smuggling cubans you are breaking trade laws of the united states. smuggling liquor, beer, etc is breaking a rule in the cruise contract.:confused:

But see you can get drinks on the ship. You can not get Cubans in America. That is the point I was making. Im not saying one is more right then the other I am oly saying I see the "reason" for smuggling the Cubans.

But see you can get drinks on the ship. You can not get Cubans in America. That is the point I was making. Im not saying one is more right then the other I am oly saying I see the "reason" for smuggling the Cubans.

i understand, but alot of people on here are arguing the fact that it is against the rules. and a rule is a rule.:)

funny thing, my hubby and i both smoke cigars. when we went to the bahamas a friend had some very specific cigars he wanted. not really thnking we went and bought them. come to find out they were cubans. and we brought them back to the states.:eek:

Well, if you wanted to look at it from a legal point of view, smuggling Cubans is actually breaking a law. Smuggling booze on a cruise ship is only breaking a cruise line policy. If I had to choose one to break, I'd go with the cruise line policy as opposed to a Federal law.

Their prices are very similar to those in any decent bar or restaurant and even less than many charge.

You should sue big bad meanie Carnival for forcing you to take a cruise and be in a restaurant all day long for 5 to 7 days. :rolleyes:

They're trying to "cheat" you? That's very paranoid, dude.

I think the smugglers are really getting desperate to try to justify their cheapness, dishonesty and contract-breaking. :D

Well, if you wanted to look at it from a legal point of view, smuggling Cubans is actually breaking a law. Smuggling booze on a cruise ship is only breaking a cruise line policy. If I had to choose one to break, I'd go with the cruise line policy as opposed to a Federal law.

Im not debating that. What im trying to figure out is if someone can "afford" to buy drinks on the ship, drinks are available on the ship and they do not need to drink, why would they smuggle?

I compared it to smuggling Cuban cigars as it is both smuggling. HOWEVER... the cigars are not "available" by any other method in the US but smuggling. So I can "logically" see the reason to smuggle a Cuban cigar.

Three years ago we took a two night pre-cruise stay in Grand Cayman. Then flew back to miami. While in Cayman we took advantage of Duty free local rum. We loaded up with about 10 liters. Just packed in our checked bags. This was to take back home after the cruise. I will admit I did drink about a liter of the booze while on the ship..

Im not debating that. What im trying to figure out is if someone can "afford" to buy drinks on the ship, drinks are available on the ship and they do not need to drink, why would they smuggle?

I compared it to smuggling Cuban cigars as it is both smuggling. HOWEVER... the cigars are not "available" by any other method in the US but smuggling. So I can "logically" see the reason to smuggle a Cuban cigar.

Have you ever thought that for some, affordability has nothing to do with it? It's quite possible that these folks simply want to have a drink in their room and they realize that the BV prices are crazy. I'm ok with the per drink price. I have a problem with BV charging triple price for a bottle of liquor.

Their prices are very similar to those in any decent bar or restaurant and even less than many charge.

You should sue big bad meanie Carnival for forcing you to take a cruise and be in a restaurant all day long for 5 to 7 days. :rolleyes:

They're trying to "cheat" you? That's very paranoid' date=' dude.

I think the smugglers are really getting desperate to try to justify their cheapness, dishonesty and contract-breaking. :D[/quote']

huh?? I'm not justifing it...I don't feel I need to justify anything to anyone on an internet forum. I'm simply stating why I do it.

Just because someone can afford it doesn't mean they will buy it. I can afford a Porshe or Hummer, but I don't buy one because to me it makes more logical sense not to. Just like it makes more logical sense to smuggle cheaper alchohol on.;)

Have you ever thought that for some, affordability has nothing to do with it? It's quite possible that these folks simply want to have a drink in their room and they realize that the BV prices are crazy. I'm ok with the per drink price. I have a problem with BV charging triple price for a bottle of liquor.

hmm I guess I should say I was speaking directly to Fre1 when I made that comment as she(?) and I are going back and forth.

But if the prices are "crazy" but you can afford them why not pay them?? Just out of principle? Well then dont drink... See what I mean about the "logic" of it all?

If you can afford it pay for it.

If you cant you dont drink.

If you HAVE to drink you pay for it.

If you think the price is to high yet you CAN pay for it but wont on principle dont smuggle or buy.

If there is a "stand" saying the drinks are to expensive...... wait for it... DONT buy them and DONT drink. TADA.

Yet people smuggle. So "logically" they either smuggle becasue:

1. They HAVE TO DRINK. (not you Fre1 we already discussed that)

or

2. they are sticking it to Carnival. Which case if they dont BUY drinks they are still sticking it to Carnival and dont have to smuggle.

Im trying really hard to logically understand this. Im not trying to convert anyone or keep them from drinking. I dont really care if you smuggle. Im just trying to have it make sense and it doesnt.

Now when somoene post and says...

I have to drink and the prices are to high so I smuggle... I then go... ok I understand. However no one is saying that. All I hear is prices are to high. Well then dont drink.

[quote name='fre1fred2']Just because someone can afford it doesn't mean they will buy it. I can afford a Porshe or Hummer, but I don't buy one because to me it makes more logical sense not to. Just like it makes more logical sense to smuggle cheaper alchohol on.;)[/quote]

But you dont "steal" or borrow intent on returning that hummer now do you? You do without. So then why dont you do without drinking?

[quote name='Aknot']hmm I guess I should say I was speaking directly to Fre1 when I made that comment as she(?) and I are going back and forth.

But if the prices are "crazy" but you can afford them why not pay them?? Just out of principle? Well then dont drink... See what I mean about the "logic" of it all?

If you can afford it pay for it. [COLOR=red]Why should someone pay for something overpriced just because they can afford it? [/COLOR]
If you cant you dont drink. [COLOR=red]I agree.[/COLOR]
If you HAVE to drink you pay for it.
If you think the price is to high yet you CAN pay for it but wont on principle dont smuggle or buy. [COLOR=red]Why?[/COLOR]

If there is a "stand" saying the drinks are to expensive...... wait for it... DONT buy them and DONT drink. TADA.

Yet people smuggle. So "logically" they either smuggle becasue:

1. They HAVE TO DRINK. (not you Fre1 we already discussed that)
or
2. they are sticking it to Carnival. Which case if they dont BUY drinks they are still sticking it to Carnival and dont have to smuggle.

Im trying really hard to logically understand this. Im not trying to convert anyone or keep them from drinking. I dont really care if you smuggle. Im just trying to have it make sense and it doesnt.

Now when somoene post and says...

I have to drink and the prices are to high so I smuggle... I then go... ok I understand. However no one is saying that. All I hear is prices are to high. Well then dont drink.[/quote]

So many assumptions....

[quote name='lawskool10']Have you ever thought that for some, affordability has nothing to do with it? It's quite possible that these folks simply want to have a drink in their room and they realize that the BV prices are crazy. I'm ok with the per drink price. I have a problem with BV charging triple price for a bottle of liquor.[/quote]

ROOM SERVICE will happily and quickly deliver drinks to your room at the "prices you are OK with."
And you can carry your bar drink anywhere on the ship, including back to your room.
So "convenience" is no excuse for smuggling.
And honesty needs no excuse, justification, or rationalizations.
Funny how that works out.

[quote name='lawskool10']So many assumptions....[/quote]

No I think I covered them all. Well there s a medical reason I guess you could smuggle, however if that were true you could state as such and they would have to allow you to bring more.

And my assumptions are based on what I read. Do you have something particular to add to my "quest" in figuring out why that I have not covered?

CRUD (color blind) it took me a bit to see your replies. :(

"Why should someone pay for something overpriced just because they can afford it? " If they NEED/WANT it then do so. If you dont need it then you dont.

"Why?" that is under the "assumption" that people are sticking it to Carnival. You stick it to Carnival by not buying their drinks and since you dont NEED to drink you dont smuggle.

[quote name='dan40']ROOM SERVICE will happily and quickly deliver drinks to your room at the "prices you are OK with."
And you can carry your bar drink anywhere on the ship, including back to your room.
So "convenience" is no excuse for smuggling.
Funny how that works out.[/quote]

Sorry. It's more convenient if I have it right there and I won't need to call anyone or go get it from the bar.

All this going back and forth is a waste in personal resources. People that want to smuggle, regardless of the reason, are going to continue to try. The one's so adamantly opposed to smuggling will not have their minds changed either. Both groups are hardheaded and determined. Both have good arguments and both has ridiculous arguments. STOP ALREADY

[quote name='Aknot']No I think I covered them all. Well there s a medical reason I guess you could smuggle, however if that were true you could state as such and they would have to allow you to bring more.

And my assumptions are based on what I read. Do you have something particular to add to my "quest" in figuring out why that I have not covered?

[B]CRUD (color blind) it took me a bit to see your replies. :( [/B]
"Why should someone pay for something overpriced just because they can afford it? " If they NEED/WANT it then do so. If you dont need it then you dont. [B]If someone WANTS to pay those prices, more power to them. I prefer not to pay triple price for booze. However, there may be SOME items I'd pay more for. Booze doesn't happen to be one of them.[/B]

"Why?" that is under the "assumption" that people are sticking it to Carnival. You stick it to Carnival by not buying their drinks and since you dont NEED to drink you dont smuggle.[/quote]

Sorry about the colors!:o

[quote name='lawskool10']Sorry. It's more convenient if I have it right there and I won't need to call anyone or go get it from the bar.[/quote]

Funny how that works out.

[quote name='Trplnckl']All this going back and forth is a waste in personal resources. People that want to smuggle, regardless of the reason, are going to continue to try. The one's so adamantly opposed to smuggling will not have their minds changed either. Both groups are hardheaded and determined. Both have good arguments and both has ridiculous arguments. STOP ALREADY[/quote]

[quote name='gtouch']I was afraid that when I quit reading this yesterday that this might die out. But thank goodness it is still going. Glad to see it hasn't gotten personal or anything. From the looks of it today they all should reach an agreement on this topic that all involved will support. Yes sir I think both sides are willing to find that common ground between them.........Oh heck who am I kidding this is about as settled as that ole "toilet paper over the top or the back" situation and nearly as important. Oh Well happy cruising to all.[/quote]

Like I said earlier they seem to be making great strides in terms of an agreement. With some more back and forth dialogue it will be worked out. Kind of a CC detente! Trplnckl remember this is so people can get this out of their systems and as you have seen most are enjoying themselves. It is a game to them......though some seem to be playing chess and others checkers.

Archived