New Poll: Who else IS sick of the smugglers....

saturnsc

Are you as sick of the smugglers as I am?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. Are you as sick of the smugglers as I am?

• Yes! it's the reason cruise & drink prices have gone up so much
    • No! as I pack another rum runner thank you very much.
    • Indifferent eh, I'm sure there's things that I do that they don't like too
    • I'm not sure why I clicked on this thread...

[quote name='lawskool10']Sorry about the colors!:o[/quote]

Its ok. It takes me a bit to find them sometimes... I was wondering why people quoted whole posts and then said nothing... :D

As I read your response though... why break the rules?

I dont believe you have to drink. (or do you?)

You comment on the "convenience" of it. Yet dont want the convenience of BV as it is to expensive. Since you dont have to drink you dont have to pay the increased prices for the convienence...... Im lost again as to why smuggle.

:DThe morality lectures are fairly amusing. Why do non-smugglers care this much about convincing smugglers they shouldn't do it?

I don't care one bit if you do or don't and it's not my business either way. The companies have decided to spend a bit of time and money enforcing their rules and that's their business.

We sailed with RCCL a couple of years ago out of LA. I had a few of the little bottles of margaritas left from the hotel the night before and threw them in my carry on. It was hilarious actually. You might have thought they found an AK-47 in my suitcase. They took them and I survived. Whatever.

While I am not "tired" of the smugglers and their stories, I find it quite amusing that a lot of them are this much addicted to alcohol and would go to great lengths, with the risk of getting caught and then removed from the ship for deliberately trying to smuggle liquor aboard. They are the same type who probably smoke in places they shouldn't - in other words, fairly ignorant.

[quote name='Aknot']Im not debating that. What im trying to figure out is if someone can "afford" to buy drinks on the ship, drinks are available on the ship and they do not need to drink, why would they smuggle?[/quote]

Why do people speed? Why do they cheat on their taxes? Because they haven't been caught! Because they felt like it! Because the black lab across the street is telling them to!

They do it because they can do it. It is what it is.

[quote name='johnjen']While I am not "tired" of the smugglers and their stories, I find it quite amusing that a lot of them are this much addicted to alcohol and would go to great lengths, with the risk of getting caught and then removed from the ship for deliberately trying to smuggle liquor aboard. They are the same type who probably smoke in places they shouldn't - in other words, fairly ignorant.[/quote]

I didn't realize you had a medical degree or the ability to diagnose alcoholism or other addictions through the internet. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Aknot']Its ok. It takes me a bit to find them sometimes... I was wondering why people quoted whole posts and then said nothing... :D

As I read your response though... why break the rules?

I dont believe you have to drink. (or do you?) [B]No, but I may want to.[/B]

You comment on the "convenience" of it. [B]Yet dont want the convenience of BV as it is to expensive.[/B] Since you dont have to drink you dont have to pay the increased prices for the convienence...... Im lost again as to why smuggle.[/quote]

A Bently is too expensive (for me anyway). However, if I could afford a Bently why would I pay $600,000 at one dealership when I can get the exact same car for $200,000 at another? If my local liquor store sold Rum at $40 and BV sold the same Rum at $50. I would not consider that expensive.

[quote name='LemurCat']Why do people speed? Why do they cheat on their taxes? Because they haven't been caught! Because they felt like it! Because the black lab across the street is telling them to!

They do it because they can do it. It is what it is.[/quote]

No...

Most people speed becasue they are in a hurry to get somewhere. Leave Early.

Most people cheat on their taxes for financial gain and or to keep from paying. Get your finances in order.

Most people smuggle..... because:
Price of drinks are to high. Then dont drink.

(I believe even "caught' smugglers have admitted to still smuggling. :P )

You still owe me an answer btw..... ;) See my Clay response.

[quote name='Aknot']No...

Most people speed becasue they are in a hurry to get somewhere. Leave Early.

Most people cheat on their taxes for financial gain and or to keep from paying. Get your finances in order.

Most people smuggle..... because:
Price of drinks are to high. Then dont drink.

(I believe even "caught' smugglers have admitted to still smuggling. :P )

You still owe me an answer btw..... ;) See my Clay response.[/quote]

People also speed beause they have cool cars that are fun to drive fast or they just like to drive fast. My speed does not change regardless of whether or not I'm early or late.

True, some cheat on taxes for financial gain. I bet there are some that "cheat" on taxes because they cannot afford to pay them.

Price of gas is high. Should everyone stop driving and walk everywhere? No, they find ways to cut down on those expenses. Some walk, some ride the bus, some don't drive as often. Just like those that smuggle, they find ways to save a little money or avoid paying the high prices of BV.

[quote name='lawskool10']A Bently is too expensive (for me anyway). However, if I could afford a Bently why would I pay $600,000 at one dealership when I can get the exact same car for $200,000 at another? If my local liquor store sold Rum at $40 and BV sold the same Rum at $50. I would not consider that expensive.[/quote]

Ok however there are no "rules" or laws that you agree to when shopping smart. So yes you can shop around and find better prices for the items you are purchasing.

Maybe Carnival drinks are to expensive and you should shop around for a cruise line that has drinks that are less expensive? That would fit what you just explained to me. If Carnival is the least expensive you have found your "price point" and you can do no better.

So now you must decide to buy the drinks or dont drink. Yet you chose to smuggle. (do you? I lost count as to who does and doesnt not that I care I just dont want to get in trouble again assuming that you do something you dont do) Avoiding the "lowest" cost you could find on drinks permitted on a cruise ship.

So if you "WANT" to drink you pay for it. Per the agreement you made when purchasing your ticket with Carnival. However you dont as you think its to expensive. Here we are at that circle again.

I have been reading a lot of information online regarding this subject and I really need to throw my take into the mix.

Firstly, it is not smuggling. No laws are being broken. Rules, yes.
Unreasonable rules, IMHO.
Next, until everyone realizes that this is just how the corporation squeezes more dollars out of us, we will never come to an understanding. Of course, I realize that some of you will blindly follow rules no matter how ridiculous, so agreement is out of the question.
I am going on my first pure vacation in 4 years. I want to relax. When I relax, I'm one of those guys who likes a little "help". So, I do plan on throwing back a few adult beverages. I can handle my alcohol and like to
consume what would be considered excessive for most other people. I will do this on at least half of the evenings of our upcoming cruise. At home, I pregame. I have a few in the house to get "primed". WHY? To save money. What gives my Hotel/Cruiseship the right to say I cannot bring my
pregaming bottle with me? I for one, will still be buying drinks, but it will be more enjoyable for me if I can have the amount I want. If I do not bring my own, then I will have to hear my DW's mouth for the week. That will certainly put a damper on my mood.
For your further information, I do not HAVE to drink, I enjoy it. I do it with restraint. I do not inflict myself upon others. If I choose, I cna go the whole week without any alcohol, and frequenly do so.
So, here's my bottom line, cause this what its all about, the bottom line...
if I do not bring some "extra", I will either drink less or just spend the money elsewhere. The cruiseline is not getting anything extra out of me, because my budget is set. If I can't bring a $20 bottle on board, I am not going to spend that $20 on board. So, where is the profit for the cruiseline? That's why this is stupid.

My compromise would be to allow a couple of wine bottles or a bottle per person of regular alcohol. Would probably solve to issue. However, if someone chooses to sneak a bottle of booze onboard, they are not a criminal, so please stop treating this like a crime.

[quote name='Aknot']No...[/quote]

Actually ...

[quote]Most people speed becasue they are in a hurry to get somewhere. Leave Early.[/quote]

Most people speed because their isn't a cop on their tail and they won't get caught.

[quote]Most people cheat on their taxes for financial gain and or to keep from paying. Get your finances in order.[/quote]

Most people cheat on their taxes because they get more money that way and they know there's a 90% chance their cheating won't be discovered.

[quote]Most people smuggle..... because:
Price of drinks are to high. Then dont drink.[/quote]

Most people smuggle because they feel their entitled to do as they wish, which includes breaking a cruiseline policy that saves them money.

My suggestion to all of these people is ... if you feel the need to do this, be prepared to suffer the consequences.

[quote]You still owe me an answer btw..... ;) See my Clay response.[/quote]

Is that thread still alive?

I'm a smuggler. Not to save money, but because what I like I can't get from the ship. It's the 21st century, why can't ships have Coke AND Pepsi? ANd we have tried to do things the legal way, but we have an aft wrap cabin and like to have a drink on our balcony. Ordering a drink from room service takes forever and then is flat and melted when it arrives. We still have a bar bill of several hundred bucks, and don't take our stash out in the public areas.

[quote name='lawskool10']

Price of gas is high. Should everyone stop driving and walk everywhere? No, they find ways to cut down on those expenses. Some walk, some ride the bus, some don't drive as often. Just like those that smuggle, they find ways to save a little money or avoid paying the high prices of BV.[/quote]

You are not allowed to use that analogy. Smuggling is doing something against a "rule" and or agreement you made. Walking, riding the bus and not driving as often does not coincide with smuggling.

Is it saving money? Sure is.

a better way would be to say:

Price of gas is high. Should everyone stop driving and walk everywhere? No, they find ways to cut down on those expenses. Some walk, some ride the bus, some don't drive as often. Just like those that dont drink or drink less on a cruise, they find ways to save a little money or avoid paying the high prices of BV.

that is more of the same. ;)

[quote name='Aknot']Ok however there are no "rules" or laws that you agree to when shopping smart. So yes you can shop around and find better prices for the items you are purchasing.

Maybe Carnival drinks are to expensive and you should shop around for a cruise line that has drinks that are less expensive? That would fit what you just explained to me. If Carnival is the least expensive you have found your "price point" and you can do no better.

So now you must decide to buy the drinks or dont drink. Yet you chose to smuggle. (do you? I lost count as to who does and doesnt not that I care I just dont want to get in trouble again assuming that you do something you dont do) Avoiding the "lowest" cost you could find on drinks permitted on a cruise ship. [B]I have yet to smuggle. Thinking about it, though. I probably don't drink enough to justify it.[/B]

So if you "WANT" to drink you pay for it. [B]I did pay for it. I bought it from Carnival 4 years ago. [/B] Per the agreement you made when purchasing your ticket with Carnival. However you dont as you think its to expensive. Here we are at that circle again.[/quote]

Again, per drink is not the issue. BV prices are the issue. If Carnival would allow is to buy bottles and bring them back to the room, I'd entertain that as long as I'm not paying double. Does anyone know why Carnival does not allow this? Is there a law against it or just another Carnival policy?

[quote name='Aknot']You are not allowed to use that analogy. Smuggling is doing something against a "rule" and or agreement you made. Walking, riding the bus and not driving as often does not coincide with smuggling.

Is it saving money? Sure is. [B]That that the point I was making[/B]

a better way would be to say:

Price of gas is high. Should everyone stop driving and walk everywhere? No, they find ways to cut down on those expenses. Some walk, some ride the bus, some don't drive as often. Just like those that dont drink or drink less on a cruise, they find ways to save a little money or avoid paying the high prices of BV.

that is more of the same. ;)[/quote]

If you can make assumptions as to why people smuggle, I can use any analogy I want.

[quote name='lawskool10']Again, per drink is not the issue. BV prices are the issue. If Carnival would allow is to buy bottles and bring them back to the room, I'd entertain that as long as I'm not paying double. Does anyone know why Carnival does not allow this? Is there a law against it or just another Carnival policy?[/quote]

Yeah, it's called The Invisible Hand of Adam Smith. How do you expect the company to make a profit if they sell bottle of their main revenue source at duty-free prices for immediate consumption? It's a publically traded company with a fiduciary duty to make money, not a self-liquidating charity.

[quote name='LemurCat']Actually ...

Most people speed because their isn't a cop on their tail and they won't get caught.

Most people cheat on their taxes because they get more money that way and they know there's a 90% chance their cheating won't be discovered.

Most people smuggle because they feel their entitled to do as they wish, which includes breaking a cruiseline policy that saves them money.

My suggestion to all of these people is ... if you feel the need to do this, be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Is that thread still alive?[/quote]

In my (prior) years of issuing tickets not once has anyone told me they were speeding cause they didnt think a Police Office was around....

They were always late.

I agree and Im not saying lawskool10 or anyone else is an evil or terrible person. However since I cant dig into Carnival and find out why they do some of the things they do I can ask around here.

As you say they must suffer any consequences. I just dont see why they should suffer anything if they dont have to.

[quote name='bcs819']I'm a smuggler. Not to save money, but because what I like I can't get from the ship. It's the 21st century, why can't ships have Coke AND Pepsi? ANd we have tried to do things the legal way, but we have an aft wrap cabin and like to have a drink on our balcony. Ordering a drink from room service takes forever and then is flat and melted when it arrives. We still have a bar bill of several hundred bucks, and don't take our stash out in the public areas.[/quote]

They can't have both because it's not cost-effective. Bulk pricing, etc.

[quote name='Aknot']In my (prior) years of issuing tickets not once has anyone told me they were speeding cause they didnt think a Police Office was around....

They were always late. [/quote]

And they're always lying.

[quote]I agree and Im not saying lawskool10 or anyone else is an evil or terrible person. However since I cant dig into Carnival and find out why they do some of the things they do I can ask around here. [/quote]

Carnival does what it does to make a profit. That's the always the correct high-level answer.

[quote]As you say they must suffer any consequences. I just dont see why they should suffer anything if they dont have to.[/quote]

You know as well as I do that people enjoy making drama, trouble, etc. for themselves. It's part of the human condition that no one has figured out.

[quote name='LemurCat']I didn't realize you had a medical degree or the ability to diagnose alcoholism or other addictions through the internet. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Not at all, but the habits and tactics tell the story as it appears.....

[quote name='lawskool10']If you can make assumptions as to why people smuggle, I can use any analogy I want.[/quote]

I haven't made any assumption that hasn't been posted from a smuggler. (except for the "needing" one yet except maybe Frockaway covered that need to reread ) So I have not posted any assumptions.

However yes you can use any analogy you want...

[quote name='johnjen']Not at all, but the habits and tactics tell the story as it appears.....[/quote]

I see. And it hasn't occurred to you that people on the internet exaggerate, obfuscate, conflate and flat-out lie?

[quote name='LemurCat']Yeah, it's called The Invisible Hand of Adam Smith. How do you expect the company to make a profit if they sell bottle of their main revenue source at duty-free prices for immediate consumption? It's a publically traded company with a fiduciary duty to make money, not a self-liquidating charity.[/quote]

I wasn't suggesting duty-free, though that would be nice. ;)

[quote name='lawskool10']Again, per drink is not the issue. BV prices are the issue. If Carnival would allow is to buy bottles and bring them back to the room, I'd entertain that as long as I'm not paying double. Does anyone know why Carnival does not allow this? Is there a law against it or just another Carnival policy?[/quote]

Ok and htis is new to me... When you mean buy bottles do you mean from the "bar" on ship?

Are you saying the bottle price at the bar is cheaper then the BV bottle by a considerable amount? Or you cant buy a bottle at all at the bar?

If not the reason may be they do not want people sullied away in their room drinking. They want them out and about. Eating and enjoying the cruise. (Corporate answer.. :D).

You know now that I think about it we had a "liquor/beer" rule like this in the Military... we were only allowed so much per person in the room....

Archived