New Poll: Who else IS sick of the smugglers....

saturnsc

Are you as sick of the smugglers as I am?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. Are you as sick of the smugglers as I am?

• Yes! it's the reason cruise & drink prices have gone up so much
    • No! as I pack another rum runner thank you very much.
    • Indifferent eh, I'm sure there's things that I do that they don't like too
    • I'm not sure why I clicked on this thread...

[quote name='Aknot']Ok and htis is new to me... When you mean buy bottles do you mean from the "bar" on ship?

Are you saying the bottle price at the bar is cheaper then the BV bottle by a considerable amount? Or you cant buy a bottle at all at the bar?

If not the reason may be they do not want people sullied away in their room drinking. They want them out and about. Eating and enjoying the cruise. (Corporate answer.. :D).

You know now that I think about it we had a "liquor/beer" rule like this in the Military... we were only allowed so much per person in the room....[/quote]

They sell bottles in the shop at duty-free prices, so it's pretty cheap. WAY cheaper than BV. However, they keep them until the last night.

[quote name='lawskool10']They sell bottles in the shop at duty-free prices, so it's pretty cheap. WAY cheaper than BV. However, they keep them until the last night.[/quote]

And no one knows why.... Well you (collective you) think it was weird when I emailed carnival about something else (cant remember), Im going to go email them about this... :D

Lets see what the response is.

[quote name='Aknot']You are not allowed to use that analogy. Smuggling is doing something against a "rule" and or agreement you made. Walking, riding the bus and not driving as often does not coincide with smuggling.

Is it saving money? Sure is.

a better way would be to say:

Price of gas is high. Should everyone stop driving and walk everywhere? No, they find ways to cut down on those expenses. Some walk, some ride the bus, some don't drive as often. Just like those that dont drink or drink less on a cruise, they find ways to save a little money or avoid paying the high prices of BV.

that is more of the same. ;)[/quote]\

A better analogy might be to compare smuggling to sneaking on the bus to avoid paying the busfare. :)

[quote=WeBeCruisin';24756146]\

A better analogy might be to compare smuggling to sneaking on the bus to avoid paying the busfare. :)[/quote]

:eek:
How the heck does one pull [I]that[/I] off?

[quote name='lawskool10']I wasn't suggesting duty-free, though that would be nice. ;)[/quote]

Many of us who have been cruising for more than a few years remember when you could just walk into the on board liquor store and buy as much as you wanted at duty-free prices and take it back to your room.

The cost of a cruise then was considerably more than it is now.

Coincidence? I think not. To keep prices at an extremely low and attractive level, Carnival has to make its profit in other areas. If they can't make their profit, they go out of business and cruise prices will rise on the surviving lines. The recession is not just a localized issue.

[quote name='halos']:eek:

How the heck does one pull [I]that[/I] off?[/quote]

The smugglers tell me that you get your grandma or someone to distract the bus driver up front while you sneak through the back door when it opens to let passengers off.:D

And, as Fred would say, why should he buy a bus ticket when there is a cheaper way to ride the bus? The fact that he brags about being able to afford a Porsche or a Hummer makes his cheapness even more laughable. He probably recycles toilet paper, too. :rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

[quote=WeBeCruisin';24756146]\

A better analogy might be to compare smuggling to sneaking on the bus to avoid paying the busfare. :)[/quote]
When Dallas first got it's DART rail, people did this to avoid the $1 or so fare. The consequences of being caught are much harsher than they are for bringing liquor, yet people still do it. Enforcement is hit or miss just like CCL. Sometimes there is a police officer checking, sometimes there isn't. Plus, if you see the guy or gal, you can always slip out of one of the open doors and wait for the next train.

[quote name='Frockaway']I have been reading a lot of information online regarding this subject and I really need to throw my take into the mix.

Firstly, it is not smuggling. No laws are being broken. Rules, yes.
[COLOR=red]smug·gle (smug[B]′[/B]əl)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]transitive verb [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/smuggled"]smuggled[/URL] -·gled, [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/smuggling"]smuggling[/URL] -·gling[/COLOR]
[LIST=1]
[*][COLOR=red]to bring into or take out of a country secretly, under illegal conditions or without paying the required import or export duties[/COLOR]
[*][COLOR=red][B]to bring, take, carry, etc. secretly or stealthily[/B][/COLOR]
[/LIST][COLOR=red]Origin: < LowG [I]smuggeln[/I], akin to OE [I]smugan[/I], to creep: for IE base see [/COLOR][URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/smock"][COLOR=red]smock[/COLOR][/URL]

[COLOR=red]intransitive verb[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]to practice smuggling; be a smuggler[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=red]Related Forms:[/COLOR][/B]
[LIST]
[*][URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/smuggler"][COLOR=red]smuggler[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red] smug′·gler[/COLOR][COLOR=red] noun[/COLOR]
[/LIST]
[URL="http://www.yourdictionary.com/dictionary-definitions/"][COLOR=red]Webster's New World College Dictionary[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red] Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.[/COLOR]

Unreasonable rules, IMHO.[COLOR=red] Yet you agreed to them when you purchased your ticket.[/COLOR]
Next, until everyone realizes that this is just how the corporation squeezes more dollars out of us, we will never come to an understanding.[COLOR=red]They are in business to make a profit. [/COLOR] Of course, I realize that some of you will blindly follow rules no matter how ridiculous, so agreement is out of the question. [COLOR=red]I knew what the rules were when I purchased my ticket and agreed to follow them at that point. If you don't agree with them then don't purchase a ticket.[/COLOR]
I am going on my first pure vacation in 4 years. I want to relax. When I relax, I'm one of those guys who likes a little "help". So, I do plan on throwing back a few adult beverages. I can handle my alcohol and like to
consume what would be considered excessive for most other people. I will do this on at least half of the evenings of our upcoming cruise. At home, I pregame. I have a few in the house to get "primed". WHY? To save money. What gives my Hotel/Cruiseship the right to say I cannot bring my
pregaming bottle with me?[COLOR=red]It's their Hotel/Cruiseship. They can make any rule they want. If you don't agree with them then you have a choice to go elsewhere. No one forced you to purchase the ticket.[/COLOR] I for one, will still be buying drinks, but it will be more enjoyable for me if I can have the amount I want. If I do not bring my own, then I will have to hear my DW's mouth for the week. That will certainly put a damper on my mood.
For your further information, I do not HAVE to drink, I enjoy it. I do it with restraint. I do not inflict myself upon others. If I choose, I cna go the whole week without any alcohol, and frequenly do so.
So, here's my bottom line, cause this what its all about, the bottom line...
if I do not bring some "extra", I will either drink less or just spend the money elsewhere. The cruiseline is not getting anything extra out of me, because my budget is set. If I can't bring a $20 bottle on board, I am not going to spend that $20 on board. So, where is the profit for the cruiseline? [COLOR=red]But if they allowed everyone to bring their own bottles, where would their profit be? They are doing this to make a profit. That is what they are in business to do. [/COLOR]That's why this is stupid.

My compromise would be to allow a couple of wine bottles[COLOR=red] You are allowed to bring one bottle of wine per adult[/COLOR] or a bottle per person of regular alcohol[COLOR=red] Their choice not to allow this[/COLOR]. Would probably solve to issue. However, if someone chooses to sneak a bottle of booze onboard, they are not a criminal, so please stop treating this like a crime.[/quote]

While not a crime, it is still smuggling...see definition 2 above and it is breaking the contract you agreed to when you purchased your ticket. Your choice not to honor your contract. But don't be offended and angry if they choose to enforce it.

[quote name='lawskool10']Again, per drink is not the issue. BV prices are the issue. If Carnival would allow is to buy bottles and bring them back to the room, I'd entertain that as long as I'm not paying double. Does anyone know why Carnival does not allow this? Is there a law against it or just another Carnival policy?[/quote]

You may also call room service and order a bar set up in your room. Liquor, mixes, snacks. NOT cheap, but that's seemingly OK with you, but convenient!!

[quote name='Warm Breezes']While not a crime, it is still smuggling...see definition 2 above and [B]it is breaking the contract you agreed to when you purchased your ticket.[/B] Your choice not to honor your contract. But don't be offended and angry if they choose to enforce it.[/quote]

So what happens when they break their contract?

I tender a shirt for laundry service,and it is not returned.When I tendered it,they have a responsibility to clean it and return it,which they did not.
So they broke that contract with me.

Steve

[quote name='steveaaaaa']So what happens when they break their contract?

I tender a shirt for laundry service,and it is not returned.When I tendered it,they have a responsibility to clean it and return it,which they did not.

Steve[/quote]

Virtually all laundries and cleaners will offer you some kind of compensation if they don't return an item you have given them. It can be in the form of cash, free services, or a credit.

Using your "logic", if you break your contract with Carnival by smuggling, then you owe them some kind of compensation. Perhaps, they should debit your on board account for the amount they think you "cheated" them out of by smuggling. :D

[quote name='steveaaaaa']So what happens when they break their contract?

Steve[/quote]

So now I'm confused. You have been a pro smuggler and now you are saying it isn't right to break a contract. It isn't ok to break the contract for you shirt but ok to break the "no alcohol" clause in the contract?

[quote name='gtouch']So now I'm confused. You have been a pro smuggler and now you are saying it isn't right to break a contract. It isn't ok to break the contract for you shirt but ok to break the "no alcohol" clause in the contract?[/quote]

The point is/was that they also don't keep their contract/word.

They lose/lost my new shirt and I only get half its cost when I can prove its 3 days old,so from a financial point I lost out.I bring on booze,and from a financial point they lose out

They state that there is no "Tip remover list" yet we know there is/was so their goes their word:rolleyes:.

If we are expected to be honest in what we say and do,so should they.

Is the ES guarantee game honest? You can't book an ES guarantee but they can sell guarantee's cheaper than the lowest catagory that you can buy under ES.

Steve

[quote name='steveaaaaa']The point is/was that they also don't keep their contract/word.

[/quote]

Yet this mentality will not help anything. Why not "not" cruise with them? To sit there and say Billy hit me so I hit him back is very.... childish?

(only way I could think of explaining it....)

There is an online game I play and people complain and gripe about it. they should do this I dont believe they did that..

It is their game they do with it as they please. If I find myself not liking the game or getting to the point where I may "cheat" to play it I would quit and stop paying them.

So if you are so dissatisfied with the way they handle things why continue to pay them which shows them you are happy with them when you are not? Instead of doing something "just as wrong" because they do it too?

My mother use to say do as I say not as I do. Its their ship. You should do as they say. If you dont like it you should (imo is the only way they will see their wrongs) go to another cruise line.

Now dont get all huffy on me. Im not calling you childish or telling you to leave. I again just cant comprehend the mindset of the I dont like this im still going to go but I will get them by doing this....

[quote name='Aknot']Yet this mentality will not help anything. Why not "not" cruise with them? To sit there and say Billy hit me so I hit him back is very.... childish?

(only way I could think of explaining it....)

There is an online game I play and people complain and gripe about it. they should do this I dont believe they did that..

It is their game they do with it as they please. If I find myself not liking the game or getting to the point where I may "cheat" to play it I would quit and stop paying them.

So if you are so dissatisfied with the way they handle things why continue to pay them which shows them you are happy with them when you are not? Instead of doing something "just as wrong" because they do it too?

My mother use to say do as I say not as I do. Its their ship. You should do as they say. If you dont like it you should (imo is the only way they will see their wrongs) go to another cruise line.

Now dont get all huffy on me. Im not calling you childish or telling you to leave. I again just cant comprehend the mindset of the I dont like this im still going to go but I will get them by doing this....[/quote]

I understand what you are saying and for the sake of discussion I have brought in an analogy that is far fetched in theory but in principle parrallels the concept,but in the case of this thread,people have gone so far off track that they have lost sight of the real issue and it all goes back to the contract.People say you agreed to a contract and that would be to not smuggle booze.That is not the case here.NO one has agreed to not smuggle.
The contract that everyone agreed to is simple!!!!!
[B][SIZE=3][U]If you bring booze and they find it,they will confiscate it.[/U][/SIZE][/B]
[B][U][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/U][/B]
That is what I agreed to,is that what yourself and eveyone else has agreed to?

Steve

[quote name='LemurCat']You really liked that shirt, didn't you?[/quote]

LOL.

Not really. I only gave the short version of the hell I went through.How would you like to be told to your face that this cannot happen and them almost calling you an outright liar? They stated the procedure they wash clothes and how it cannot happen.
Somehow I ended up with a very small tie-dye shirt with a little tag attached.In my arguement with the floor supervisor I wanted to know how I got this shirt with the TAG still attached.He could not answer as the tag is a laundry system tag so the clothes don't get lost or misplaced.:rolleyes:

Guess what?The tag was ID'ed and that shirt was given to the correct owner,but they did not have mine.

Steve

[quote name='steveaaaaa']LOL.

Not really. I only gave the short version of the hell I went through.How would you like to be told to your face that this cannot happen and them almost calling you an outright liar? They stated the procedure they wash clothes and how it cannot happen.
Somehow I ended up with a very small tie-dye shirt with a little tag attached.In my arguement with the floor supervisor I wanted to know how I got this shirt with the TAG still attached.He could not answer as the tag is a laundry system tag so the clothes don't get lost or misplaced.:rolleyes:

Guess what?The tag was ID'ed and that shirt was given to the correct owner,but they did not have mine.

Steve[/quote]

Been there, done that with the local laundry mat. Had several very expensive hockey jerseys stolen as well as some jeans I was rather fond of. I understand the hell. I at least got the satisfaction of watching the woman who stole my stuff (and later sold it ... someone in the hood is still sporting my Team USA jersey ...) get arrested.

[quote name='steveaaaaa']
The contract that everyone agreed to is simple!!!!!
[B][SIZE=3][U]If you bring booze and they find it,they will confiscate it.[/U][/SIZE][/B]

That is what I agreed to,is that what yourself and eveyone else has agreed to?

Steve[/quote]

I dont know I have yet to cruise.. :D Is it written somewhere? I will check if you dont have a quick link.

Archived