Some confusion over Solarium age limit...

The solarium is just that...a nice place to relax. As far as I'm concerned as long as a person respects the other patrons that are relaxing there, who cares what age they are. But the signs do say 16.

Mature 16 yr olds and older should be ok. Mature is the key word. Frankly, I hate to be in there with the 30+ - 40+ who insist on acting like it is a swingers cruise and they so desperately want to be 20 somethings!!

I really do not care who is in there as long as the noise level is reasonable. But if they are going to police anything, they should police all those towels sunbathing for hours on end with nobody sitting on them.:rolleyes:

LOL well the towels need to get tanned to. But it would be nice if someone turned them over now and then IE used them for more then just a place saver.

Adri :)

P.s should we start a movement that Towels have rights to on Cruiselines? Kidding :)

I hate that assumptions are made automatically by the majority of people based purely on my age.

If I am in the Solarium it will be to read, not to make noise: there are plenty of other places on the ship for that.

You cannot penalise all 16 year olds purely because some cannot behave.

I have met many an adult who behaves far worse than I do, so by that right no adults should be allowed in the Solarium either, right?

It's lucky that you have parents who teach you to respect others and that a venue like the Solarium is indeed for quiet relaxation ;-)

And by the way, when you say "there are plenty of other places on the ship for that", please note that does not include your parents' cabin!

[And before anyone flames me because they think I am complaining about their parenting, I am Joanna's Dad!]

I love the solarium on the FOS. It always seemed strange to me that they think that because it's for adults no music should be played? I must be in the minority of people that like a little music in the caribbean sun.

My pet peeve is that bar in the pool under the bridge. It's the coolest place on the ship. They come by every 10 minutes and sell you drinks while you sit at the bar and every 15 minutes they come by and take them away .... well actually they just make you get out of the pool. That just seems ...... almost cruel

We love that there's no music in the Solarium. It's the one public pool area on the ship where you can go and get away from the constant music playing and hustle-bustle. You could always bring an ipod (or similar) and listen on headphones. You'd have music and those who want no music would still enjoy the lack of it.

It's lucky that you have parents who teach you to respect others and that a venue like the Solarium is indeed for quiet relaxation ;-)

And by the way, when you say "there are plenty of other places on the ship for that", please note that does not include your parents' cabin!

[And before anyone flames me because they think I am complaining about their parenting, I am Joanna's Dad!]

Cutest post of the day, IMO.:) Good job Dad! You've obviously raised a daughter who you can be proud of and who will be welcome wherever she goes, including the Solarium.

General thoughts:

About towels that sun all day: If no one sits on the lounge or chair for 30 minutes or longer, ask the crew to move them (or move them yourself). Those towels have no right to hog the chair/lounge all day! They can't even get a good tan.:p

About the age restriction: I wonder if the captain has the discretion to change it to 18 or even 21 on certain cruises where there are hundreds of teens onboard (e.g., spring break) so that there will still be a place for adults to get away from the crowds without the Solarium being jammed with teens?

About the "some adults are obnoxious too" debate: This is just my personal opinion, of course. I pay less attention to that kind of "but other people do it too" argument then to a well reasoned explanation as to why, for example in this case, 16 year olds should not be assumed to be loud, rowdy, etc. in the Solarium. It's stating the obvious to say that some adults are a PITA; give me a better reason than "some teens know how to behave and some adults do not" because that is what my just 16 year old niece would call a "well, duh" rationale.

joannarocksyoursocks: You'll be absolutely fine in the Solarium because you have shown yourself to be mature enough to appreciate the difference between the Solarium atmosphere/environment and the big pool deck vibe. And your Dad sounds like he's got a great sense of humor, which I bet you have too. If anyone bugs you about being there, try to keep that good humor and simply point out that you are old enough to be there, thank you. (Unless for some weird reason the captain actually does have the discretion to raise the age minimum on specific cruises. I have no idea if that is the case, but was trying to figure out why two well behaved young ladies might have been asked to leave on a spring break cruise. It's unlikely you'll have to worry about it.) Have fun.

beachchick

I hate that assumptions are made automatically by the majority of people based purely on my age.

If I am in the Solarium it will be to read, not to make noise: there are plenty of other places on the ship for that.

I have met many an adult who behaves far worse than I do, so by that right no adults should be allowed in the Solarium either, right?

Joanna -

As a father of four you impress me as a remarkable young lady with the best of manners, grace and maturity. I apologize for any adults rude comments regarding teenagers who have the best intentions. Have a great cruise!

Don

While you may appear to have some logic on your side, that isn't how the world works and unfortunately well-behaved 16 year olds are frequently punished for things that their peers do. Has your class never been punished because of the misdeeds of one or a few members of your class? Society doesn't allow people under a certain age to drink alcohol or drive a car and if your logic was used you could make the case that because some adults abuse those privileges, no adults would be permitted to drink or drive. That just isn't going to happen. You will learn at some point that life isn't always fair and if you are patient and wait until you reach the magic age of 18 you will automatically gain entrance to the wonderful world of the solarium.

You will learn at some point that life isn't always fair and if you are patient and wait until you reach the magic age of 18 you will automatically gain entrance to the wonderful world of the solarium.

I think you'll find she's already reached that magical age and, as has been confirmed many times on this thread, it's 16

Perhaps you'd like to read it here on the Royal Caribbean website under 'Age Policies' on page 5 http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/content/en_UK/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf ;)

You are right. I incorrectly stated the age at which someone can access the solarium. Not sure why I did so, as in another thread I corrected someone who claimed it was 18. Just a senior moment, I guess but I still stand by the rest of my post.:o

However, if you reread her post which complained that 16 year olds were being punished you might understand the reason for my response.

negc -

She was not complaining, she was defending that not all 16 year old teenagers are immature. It is amazing to me on the site how quick people are to find fault and slam one another. Bravo for her for standing up to some of the harsh words said previously.

Bravo for her for standing up to some of the harsh words said previously.

Agreed, but would you also please remind her that in a more general context such as tidying her room, she should not "stand up to some of the harsh words" when they are uttered by her Dad? :rolleyes: Immediate and unquestioning obedience would be more appropriate!

Agreed, but would you also please remind her that in a more general context such as tidying her room, she should not "stand up to some of the harsh words" when they are uttered by her Dad? :rolleyes: Immediate and unquestioning obedience would be more appropriate!

A womans "tidy" is much different from a mans "tidy".;)

And if you want "immediate and unquestioning obedience" from a female hire a maid and pay her alot of money.:p;)

And if you want "immediate and unquestioning obedience" from a female hire a maid and pay her alot of money.:p;)

Well, the final 6 words of your sentence certainly apply to Joanna, so surely that means I qualify for immediate and unquestioning obedience? :rolleyes:

Oh, look, there's a flying pig outside the window (I hope this is a phrase understood in the US??)

By the way, you do realise I'm going to be in big trouble for hijacking her thread.:eek:

Well, the final 6 words of your sentence certainly apply to Joanna, so surely that means I qualify for immediate and unquestioning obedience? :rolleyes:

Oh, look, there's a flying pig outside the window (I hope this is a phrase understood in the US??)

By the way, you do realise I'm going to be in big trouble for hijacking her thread.:eek:

You may want to check your knickers for extra starch.:p

LOL well the towels need to get tanned to. But it would be nice if someone turned them over now and then...

Just how old are these towels anyway, I mean should they be out alone? Are they allowed in the Solarium or is that just for the larger bath sheets?

I very definitely want to sail with your family!!!

When did you say you are sailing? ;)

LOL -- As a father of two teenage girls this Yank gets it!!! Yes, pigs do fly.

It amazes me how a simple question (do you all remember what it was?) has garnered so many opinionated responses.

Enjoy and have fun Joanna!

I very definitely want to sail with your family!!!

When did you say you are sailing? ;)

You are very welcome to join us, providing you are not planning on placing any towels on empty loungers :eek:

We are on Oasis B2B 14 and 21 August. :)

Just how old are these towels anyway, I mean should they be out alone? Are they allowed in the Solarium or is that just for the larger bath sheets?

It depends. Frankly, I find that larger bath sheets can be just as badly behaved as those cute little hand towels :rolleyes:

Of course, we mustn't assume all towels of any particular size are bad, just because some are...

[This thread is deteriorating since I took over posting from Joanna!]

• 5 months later...

i am 17 and would be mad if they kicked me out just because of my age. If i am just sitting there listening to music and just relaxing what do they care. I think 18 is a good age then 16-17 year olds (like me:)) can push the limit to get in.

Do they ask your age when you enter??/ do they know how old you are or can you lie?:D

Archived