Misty Fjord recommendation

Trooper1300

1st time cruisers on Princess. Have done RC and Carnival thus far. We are going with Mom who turns 85 this year. Does anybody have a recommendation as to the best way to see Misty Fjord at a reasonable cost? Cruise is in August.

Thanks!

:o

Well, the best way I can recommend is by float plane. Really an amazing adventure. We had a wonderful independent operator last year and if you'd like the name or contact info I'd be happy to provide it.

We did a 2 hour trip on the float plane and it included a landing on one of the lakes. We had plenty of time to get out and observe the young bear that was nearby on shore munching some breakfast. :)

Really, these 2 hours were one of the highlights of our 2 weeks. Beautifual scenery...

Oh Yeah......the float plane was wonderful......we flew over snow that had nothing but

animal tracks on it, and when we landed on the lake we could stand on the pontoons and

listen to absolute silence. Eagles were flying overhead.....the lower 48 were far, far away.

Is it true that float plane cost $250 per person? Just want to make sure.

Family Air's tour costs $229 with a landing. They also have shorter tour without a landing for $169.

http://www.familyairtours.com/page3_Misty.html

If you are booking for next year, ask them for an early booking discount. They were giving 15% off for booking in January for this summer.

We flew with Michele of Island Wings last week. I think the price was around $232.00 a person. I had a coupon for Taquan Air in the tour saver book. When I called them they told me that they were only holding spaces for the cruise ships, their other tours were sold out. When I went to the visitor center a representative of Taquan air approached me and tried to get me to book with them. I had already paid to go with Island Wings and after the tour I felt it was well worth the cost. I do not know if they always have cancellations like that or not, but I was not going to take a chance of the tour being booked when i arrived. Who knows if I will make it back to Alaska (I hope I do) so I decided to do as much as I could on this trip, including the misty fjords flight.

Archived