Escargot

thistle9

Absolutely love them. Garlic, butter, what could be better?

Of course, this time out, I've given up carbs so no sopping up that extra goodness with a piece of crusty bread, but I'm determined to have them at least once on our cruise next month.

Now, I do understand how people are turned off by certain things. I grew up in a Jewish family in Queens, NY. One of our standard weekly meals when I was little was tongue. I love it. My husband likes it, but refuses to eat it, since he knows what it is (was tricked into trying it years ago). For some, it's disgusting, like chopped liver. But for those of us who eat these things as part of our cultural heritage, I don't even think about it.

Now, I simply will not eat lobster. Can't stand it. But snails...yeah, love 'em.

I have read so many posts on which ship serves the best 'Escargot' and every time it makes me wretch. I cannot see how anyone could find a mollusc decent food. Apart from the French, these molluscs are only eaten by the poor of the world, and a very few places at that. They contain very little nutrients. The thought of picking up a SNAIL in my own garden, boiling it and eating it, ohh yuk! Escargot = garden/land snail, if some of you guys can't get it onboard, just check out your garden, I'm sure there will be a few crawling around. BTW where are the ships keeping the 'fresh' snails?

You went on a cruise and this is the best thing you could think of to talk about? Nice. I hope everyone doesn't decide to start a new thread about a food they don't personally enjoy - this site would be overrun with useless information and complainers. Referring to the "garden variety" of snail is just laughable and shows ignorance.

I am French-American, currently living in France but staying in Spain. Complicated enough for you?!

I do not like escargot as a rule, but if I was starving you bet I'd pick them off the sides of the road as my countrymen do.

It is incorrect that only the French eat escargot. Just a couple of nights ago at a tapas bar in Spain they brought escargot in a tomato sauce which I had never tried before so I had one. I still don't like escargot, not in butter or tomato. But it's a common food in a lot of places rich or poor.

Broad and totally unfair generalization here: Americans only like foods that are high in fat and sugar content, escargot in garlic butter has the fat, but no sugar, hence it's a no go for most people. Eating snails is no worse than eating chicken.

Was the OP's post meant to be tongue-in-cheek? If not it seems a bit rude and judgmental, but hey, kudos to the rest of the thread for being very polite in response.

I have only tried escargots once, and all I could taste was the garlic butter, but anything that is a vehicle for garlic butter is good in my book. I see a lot mentioned about RCCL's version on this thread, what about Princess? Thanks :D

This is what I love about a cruise...I will take the chance to try things that I would never pay to "try" in a restaurant. I discovered (to some of my table mates dismay) that I loved escargot...although I must admit...put just about anything in melted butter and garlic and I'm probably going to like it!!

Agree completely!!

Celebrity had it as a staple for every dinner in the MDR - and they were GREAT! As a matter of fact, it was often a better choice than some of the other appetizers. Unfortunately, Celebrity's food has dropped off dramatically since last time we sailed her. Which is too bad...

I always get the escargot on Celebrity every night. They are so good. Sometimes I get 2 plates. If you dont like escargot then there is more for me. Richard

I have read so many posts on which ship serves the best 'Escargot' and every time it makes me wretch. I cannot see how anyone could find a mollusc decent food. Apart from the French, these molluscs are only eaten by the poor of the world, and a very few places at that. They contain very little nutrients. The thought of picking up a SNAIL in my own garden, boiling it and eating it, ohh yuk! Escargot = garden/land snail, if some of you guys can't get it onboard, just check out your garden, I'm sure there will be a few crawling around. BTW where are the ships keeping the 'fresh' snails?

They come in cans - as do MOST of the food that is prepared and eaten on cruises. As the staples have to be loaded for an entire week or more for most cruises. And did you ever think about the lobster served onboard? Certainly not "fresh" but frozen of course...and just as delicious as snails when prepared correctly.

I tried snails and love them... wait... I love anything served IN butter. As far as fresh how fresh was whatever you ate? Were there 2 of every animal? Close your eyes and suck it up - so to speak. If you like butter and garlic you will love snails.

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE escargot!! Tried them on a dare years ago in a high priced restaurant back in my hometown of Pittsburgh and have them any chance I get. Look forward to every cruise, knowing they will be one of the appetizers. (Half the fun is watching the looks from those who refuse to try them! LOL!:D ) So if you see me on the Dream the week of August 28th and dont want your escargo......:)

I, like alot of you, tried escargots on my first cruise. Here's the approach I took to giving them a try.

1. Yea, the idea of eating a snail was a little off-putting to me, but I have eaten frog legs before and love them. I use to watch my great grandmother put them in the hot grease, their muscles would contract and.....PLOP! They would jump right out onto the floor of the kitchen. Not all of them mind you, but at least one everytime she cooked them would take the "plunge". If I can get past that, I should be able to get past this too, right?

2. I like garlic and butter and I knew that's what they're cooked in, l figured, how bad could they be???

3. Cruise ships are the perfect place to try food you wouldn't dare walk into a restaurant and order because on the ship, if you try it and don't like it, get something else...it doesn't cost you a thing. If you find that you do like it, tell your waiter you'd like another one...Enjoy!

“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.”

Do you practice flaming people for eating something you don't like??

Les petit escarots...I tried one of my DH's one night on the Legend, flagged down the waiter, and ordered some more for both of us. Yummy, but, I think it's the garlic and butter that make them yummy. As far as Americans not liking "chewy" food, please explain to me why most Americans chomp away on gum.( I may be American, but not raised here, and it's a habit I hate). I still eat steak but love to look into a cows moo brown eyes. Creatures are meant to be food.:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
I LOVE escargot!! Tried them on a dare years ago in a high priced restaurant back in my hometown of Pittsburgh and have them any chance I get. Look forward to every cruise, knowing they will be one of the appetizers. (Half the fun is watching the looks from those who refuse to try them! LOL!:D ) So if you see me on the Dream the week of August 28th and dont want your escargo......:)

Hi Hutchgal, In Brussels, Belgium they have street vendor selling escargot. They are so good. Richard

Escargot is one of the delights I thank cruise lines for.

I used to let my head rule my palate, and would never try them...

On our first cruise, a gazillion years ago (I think the earth's crust was still cooling) I figured, "what the heck... if I don't like em, I can always get something else"... so i ordered them.

It was like I died and went to heaven..... not only did I love them, but I started making them at home so I wouldn't have to wait till our next cruise for this bit of deliciousness!

And I thought this board was for foodies? :rolleyes:

Had them many yrs ago on the Sitmar Fairwind. Served in shell w/tongs, and tiny fork.Still have the shells.

That's where I first had them as well, as a child. Pleasant memories!

Princess does a good job with Escargot and used to even have it on their adjunct menu of items available every dinner. Some of us would order them almost every night. Guess Princess did not like that so many folks were eating their dear little snails so, alas, its no longer one of the items available every night. But for the real snail lovers, we have found that if you ask the maitre'd they will usually have them for you the following night :)

Hank

My kids (7 and 5) fell in love with Escargot on thier first cruise, Disney. In fact when we told them we were looking into going on another they both said "yeah more escargot." cause we never let them order it at a restraunt.

I think having items you don't usally eat is one of the best things about cruising. If you don't like it they will get you something else.

Not everyone likes everything but just cause you don't like it does not mean its icky.

Have never tried it before, also never been on a cruise before but have first one booked for March 2011 on RC. In the MDR could the 4 of us order our starters then ask for a seperate portion of them to be brought to table to try so orders 5 starters, are u able to order in effect as much as you want.

Have never tried it before, also never been on a cruise before but have first one booked for March 2011 on RC. In the MDR could the 4 of us order our starters then ask for a seperate portion of them to be brought to table to try so orders 5 starters, are u able to order in effect as much as you want.

You most certainly can do that....

At the risk of looking like a piggie, I can tell you that my husband and I always start off by having 2 orders each of the escargot.:D

Quite often the appetizer and soup sections of the menu appeal to us more than the entree, so we will order a few different appetizers and a soup as our entire meal... (oh, and then dessert, of course!)

There is no limit on how many of any course you order (obviously, only ordering what you believe you can consume) and your waiter will be happy to bring an extra starter for you to share..

He also will bring you something else any time you get something that you don't care for.

Archived