Escargot

thistle9

Escargot was definitely one of the highlights of my trip. I loved it, and it was superb.

You all that don't like it, can save it for the rest of us.

:D

We LOVE the escargot... I'm sure some people think they're "yuck" -- don't order them.. duh. My 8 year old ate 3 escargot appetizers and still wanted more. We had to tell him no. His wish for his 10th birthday was to go on another cruise... we will be sailing on Oct 23rd and he can eat all the escargot he wants! He loves the calamari, too... and I was surprised by HOW good Carnival's calamari is, better than most I've had in nice restaurants. The best part is he gets to go back to school and tell everyone he ate snails and squid. I'm definitely raising a foodie -- it's his favorite part of cruising. More than fun port activities I'm afraid! :) And as a side note... he did NOT like the lobster... I just think that's funny...

yummmmm...escargot...what's not to like about butter and garlic...had my first in France and order it whenever I it is on the menu :p

Oh gosh it's near lunch time and I am getting hungry!!!!!

We also discovered Escargot while in France. One evening we rent to a highly recommended restaurant in a residential neighborhood of Paris that was mostly frequently by locals (we were the only non-Parisians in the place). When we ordered our dinner the waiter gave us that look of disdain that can only be done by a French waiter and explained to us that at least one of us must order Escargot (we also had our 9 year old daughter) or he would refuse to send our order to the kitchen. We all laughed and my wife said she would be brave and have the Escargot. Well, she had that first snail and gave me a big smile and said I had to try it and I had the same reaction. Amazing! That was a out twenty years ago and we never miss an opportunity to have escargot. My wife has also made them at home, but she gets so disgusted looking at the little antenna that she has abandoned that item from our home menu :)

Hank

OKAY.. lemme tell ya now....

DO NOT talk AGAINST ESCARGOT's!!! They are FANTASTIC!!

The first time we were on a cruise, I knew I could taste things, and if I didnt like it, just not eat it... well.. I told the waiter, Id like to 'try' the escargot, that I may not like it.. he said thats fine... well.. when he brought them to me.. it certainly wasnt what I was expecting to see... these little round things in holes in this circular dish... I forked the first one... and OH MY GOSH.. I was in heaven on first bite!! I ate them all, and asked the waiter for another.. and he brought me another one... IT WAS FANTASTIC...

Im just HOPING that the EPIC will have them too.

its all that garlic, and salt, and butter.. OMG!!!!!! Im already salivating!!! LOL

I have never really wanted to try escargot before, but after reading so much about them on the forum I am really looking forward to giving it a try. I hope they prepare escargot well on the Crown Princess as we will be sailing her next month.

I don't understand why anyone would be upset about this topic. This is certainly the right board for the subject. If anyone thinks that the topic is ridiculous, they can just pass on it. :p

Personally, I don't care for escargot, although my husband does. I'm just reading this thread and thoroughly enjoying it. Some of the remarks here have made me laugh out loud. :D

• 2 weeks later...
It is my 7 year old's favorite! She loves it at Le Bistro on NCL (As do I)

I had escargot for only my second time while on the Norwegian Epic also at Le Bistro and enjoyed it so much I ordered it twice. The first time for me was 10 years ago in Paris and I really was not that impressed, I thought it was better on the cruise than in France.

I have read so many posts on which ship serves the best 'Escargot' and every time it makes me wretch. I cannot see how anyone could find a mollusc decent food. Apart from the French, these molluscs are only eaten by the poor of the world, and a very few places at that. They contain very little nutrients. The thought of picking up a SNAIL in my own garden, boiling it and eating it, ohh yuk! Escargot = garden/land snail, if some of you guys can't get it onboard, just check out your garden, I'm sure there will be a few crawling around. BTW where are the ships keeping the 'fresh' snails?

I am looking forward to my Panama cruise 12/13/2010 I hope they serve ESCARGOT ,just don't serve a hamburger, you see it's a matter of culture and knowledge of different cuisines.:p

On our last cruise (and first), I was looking forward to trying the escargot and it was available on the last night. The night before DH and I got up with some sort of travel bug (aka something we ate or drank) and spent the day in the cabin. We were feeling well enough, thankfully, to go to dinner the last night. I was very nervous to try them after not feeling well all night. But I did, and they were sooooo good. If I had a stronger stomach I would have ordered another! I hope they have them on our spring cruise - I am definately ordering two!

I have read so many posts on which ship serves the best 'Escargot' and every time it makes me wretch. I cannot see how anyone could find a mollusc decent food. Apart from the French, these molluscs are only eaten by the poor of the world, and a very few places at that. They contain very little nutrients. The thought of picking up a SNAIL in my own garden, boiling it and eating it, ohh yuk! Escargot = garden/land snail, if some of you guys can't get it onboard, just check out your garden, I'm sure there will be a few crawling around. BTW where are the ships keeping the 'fresh' snails?

Someone just posted that it is a matter of cultures.... Actually, it is a matter of good taste.

No, not the good taste of the escargot, but the good taste it requires not to denigrate that which others eat.

The above quote is as rude as spitting food out on your plate.

Archived