Downgrading

jmill6036

I am booked on a 7 day cruise leaving within 2 weeks on Carnival. When I booked this cruise at the end of April I was looking for an inside triple cabin (I always get an interior, lowest price available cabin). There were no inside triple's available at the time so I had to book a balcony cabin. I resigned myself to the fact that I had to pay the extra money for the balcony until today when I checked and found Carnival had interior triple's available at a total savings of over $500. I called Carnival to try and downgrade. I was told that this was not possible due to the fact that it was now in the "penalty" period. The penalty involves changing ships, dates, or cancelling outright (the supervisor stated that downgrading is not on the Carnival website or in their brochure, but that is their "guideline") The fact that I was not doing any of these things didn't matter to Carnival. My argument is this, if Carnival allows you to upgrade if available then why don't they allow you to downgrade. I know the answer is simple. If you upgrade, Carnival makes more money. If you downgrade, Carnival loses money. The guideline should be uniform though. If you can upgrade then you should be allowed to downgrade. I am a Platinum member on Carnival and informed them that it was bad business not to allow me to get the cabin that I originally wanted now that it was available. This disagreement with Carnival is not over yet. I plan to speak to other supervisors tomorrow to plead my case. I was just wondering what the members of CC think.

I am booked on a 7 day cruise leaving within 2 weeks on Carnival. When I booked this cruise at the end of April I was looking for an inside triple cabin (I always get an interior, lowest price available cabin). There were no inside triple's available at the time so I had to book a balcony cabin. I resigned myself to the fact that I had to pay the extra money for the balcony until today when I checked and found Carnival had interior triple's available at a total savings of over $500. I called Carnival to try and downgrade. I was told that this was not possible due to the fact that it was now in the "penalty" period. The penalty involves changing ships, dates, or cancelling outright (the supervisor stated that downgrading is not on the Carnival website or in their brochure, but that is their "guideline") The fact that I was not doing any of these things didn't matter to Carnival. My argument is this, if Carnival allows you to upgrade if available then why don't they allow you to downgrade. I know the answer is simple. If you upgrade, Carnival makes more money. If you downgrade, Carnival loses money. The guideline should be uniform though. If you can upgrade then you should be allowed to downgrade. I am a Platinum member on Carnival and informed them that it was bad business not to allow me to get the cabin that I originally wanted now that it was available. This disagreement with Carnival is not over yet. I plan to speak to other supervisors tomorrow to plead my case. I was just wondering what the members of CC think.

If you were booked Early Saver, there is no downgrading with Early Saver. If you were booked otherwise, you could have done this prior to final payment deadline, but not after final payment deadline where this is considered a "cancellation" and subject to the cancellation penalties in the cruise contract.

I wish you luck, but it would be very unusual for Carnival to relent on this, particularly this close to sailing.

ken

The fact that you not only want to downgrade, but also want a refund inside penalty period ... I can see the problem.

the only rate that you can get a refund with is Early Saver after final payment, but you can't downgrade with ES. (they do this to prevent us from being able to price match with guarantees I think especially).

And no other rates allow any price matching or refunds after final payment.

I can't even think of a argument you can use to win this one?? Good luck as Ken said.

I work with Carnival on a daily basis and even have several acquaintences there. Their policy is simply that you can upgrade anytime but you cannot downgrade after final payment. I use this policy a lot for my clients to get upgrades and such, but unfortunately they are very very firm about the no downgrades.

I hope this helps, and should you call tomorrow I wish you good luck.

My argument is this,

I was just wondering what the members of CC think.

What other members think, what I think, and what your argument may be, are all moot. Their cruiseline, their policy, their contract that you agreed to when making payment. Your thought process may be completely correct, doesn't matter.

I appreciate the input. I just think it's a matter of principle. The key word here is "change". Carnival said you cannot "change" once final payment is made and you are within the penalty period. If you cannot "change" then you shouldn't be able to upgrade either. I know it's a losing battle, but I have to try. Thanks again for the feedback.

I appreciate the input. I just think it's a matter of principle. The key word here is "change". Carnival said you cannot "change" once final payment is made and you are within the penalty period. If you cannot "change" then you shouldn't be able to upgrade either. I know it's a losing battle, but I have to try. Thanks again for the feedback.

Let us know what they say. If you are successful, then it would give us more amunition who want to downgrade.

I booked a balcony on Ecstasy on Empress and then 10 minutes later realized it had balconys added to Main deck too, which is what I would have booked had I realized they went that low... 10 minutes too late. Even for a mistake you immediately catch they wouldnt let me change.

i did this for my 5 day fantasy caribbean cruise. i booked a ocean veiw and went too an inside too save some money. then for some reason i got bumped up too a ocean view for the same price as the inside. i won all the way around. :D.

i did this for my 5 day fantasy caribbean cruise. i booked a ocean veiw and went too an inside too save some money. then for some reason i got bumped up too a ocean view for the same price as the inside. i won all the way around. :D.

Were you booked early saver?? Iv never been allowed to downgrade.

No, I was not booked early saver. In regards to no basis in fact or logic, CARNIVAL is the one that stated that no CHANGES are allowed. Upgrading is a change. Downgrading is a change. You shouldn't allow one and not the other. I checked my ticket contract and no where is it stated that you are not allowed to downgrade. I'm not trying to be difficult, it's just the principle of it. If it benefits Carnival, they allow it. If it doesn't, then they don't allow it. You're absolutely right, it is a BUSINESS. All I'm saying is that it's BAD BUSINESS to not at least try to accomodate the customer in this instance. Remember, the customer is ALWAYS right!

It's quite simple:

Upgrading adds revenue, downgrading loses revenue. Once it hits penalty period, downgrading will not be allowed in order to save yourself money. Upgrading for your same cost or more would be taken, especially if you are adding revenue to the cruise lines by making your "change".

It is business, nothing personal. You had your chance to downgrade since you were not booked Early Saver. You missed that window and it is their rules which you must abide by.

If Carnival allowed downgrading after final payment, pax who need to cancel. that booked a suite or balcony,and didn't purchase insurance, could downgrade to the cheapest cabin available and save a ton of money when

Its a policy, you can keep calling and emailing, but its not going to change the policy. I personally wouldnt put to more effort into this, because it will only get you more upset.

The customer isnt always right, but the customer does have the right to no longer patronize a company, if they feel its policy arent acceptable to them.

No, I was not booked early saver. In regards to no basis in fact or logic, CARNIVAL is the one that stated that no CHANGES are allowed. Upgrading is a change. Downgrading is a change. You shouldn't allow one and not the other. I checked my ticket contract and no where is it stated that you are not allowed to downgrade. I'm not trying to be difficult, it's just the principle of it. If it benefits Carnival, they allow it. If it doesn't, then they don't allow it. You're absolutely right, it is a BUSINESS. All I'm saying is that it's BAD BUSINESS to not at least try to accomodate the customer in this instance. Remember, the customer is ALWAYS right!

Even less chance that Carnival will give you back money during penalty phase.

Your contract might not say you cant make changes, that's with ES rates...but once in penalty with all other rates you dont get any rate drops..so with your rate, no matter what, you cannot receive money back.

One poor guy booked military rate and his rate dropped and he couldnt receive the $500 back his rate dropped ...even staying in the same cabin.

So, yes you can make changes ...just cant receive any money back after final payment since you didnt book ES. Im thinking you are SOL. I think you are not going to have any luck here since you are in penalty phase now.

If I hear the phrase "penalty period" again I'm going to scream (lol). Carnival's supervisor told me that penalties apply to cancellation, or change of ship or date. It doesn't state that Downgrades apply (at least not in writing). I think I'm going to take the advice of a previous response to my message and not let this get me upset. Whatever happens, happens. I'll enjoy this cruise no matter what.

'the customer is ALWAYS right," is a myth that anyone that's ever been in business knows is not true. In fact the customer is almost always wrong.

That is not to say that the business does not treat them, as best they can, as tho the customer was right.

But what you are actually asking is that Carnival reopen a can of worms that they closed in Dec. 2008 [No refunds after final payment date] That was the precursor to ES rates. Prior to that, any price reduction was "across the board" to all who demanded it. Meaning they didn't know what a sailing was taking in until it sailed. NOT a good way to do business.

I think with your logic if you allowed to downgrade to save $$. Then should

carnival allow to downgrade your guarantee BL to a OV?

I think its fair for them to place this rule in place or guideline. Have you

ever tried to change a airline date or time? They have rules and guidelines

we must following.

Archived