North Sea in late June?

June Bug

A friend of mine from Scotland was telling me that the North Sea is "the most treacherous sea on Earth". Don't know if that is true, but I have heard that the sea can be quite choppy. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences crossing this sea. It could be the ultimate decision maker in where and when to go, especially late June.

Thanks a million!

A friend of mine from Scotland was telling me that the North Sea is "the most treacherous sea on Earth". Don't know if that is true, but I have heard that the sea can be quite choppy. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences crossing this sea. It could be the ultimate decision maker in where and when to go, especially late June.

Thanks a million!

The North Sea can be really rough at times,and I have been on it when it has been rough,but I would never trade the times not to go on a cruise just because it could be rough.Other times I have cruised on the North Sea it was just fine.I was on a small cruise ship at that and it never got "that" bad.If this is a cruise you want to take I would not let the North Sea become a factor.there are some good meds out there that can help if you get seasick.Just MHO...:)

It could be the ultimate decision maker in where and when to go, especially late June.
You never know what any sea is going to be like. There are some that are more notorious than others, because of where they are. The North Sea is one of them, but that's largely because it's on the same sort of latitude as Labrador and, yes, there can be fiercer storms there in the winter than you'd find in the Caribbean at the same time of the year. But, hey, the Caribbean is pretty bad if there's a hurricane going over right at that moment.

I've done the Bay of Biscay, which is equally notorious for very rough water - it's a standing joke on cruise ships that do it regularly. I wasn't even there in summer - it was mid-October - and it was like glass, both ways.

Hi, I live in Aberdeen and have a pretty good view of the North Sea from the house. June is a pretty good time of year, now is the time not to be on the N. Sea. I wouldn't say it was the worst place to sail by any means, there's the Baring Straits, Cape Horn and the Bay of Biscay which can be much worse.

however, nothing is certain in life and that applies to the British weather the most, so if it's been windy before you sail, then it can get choppy. But in general terms mid May to September are your best bets.

HTH Soraya

PS If you're coming north of Aberdeen, give us a wave!

Archived