To all non-tippers!

Everyone keeps moaning about it but where is the voice of the people who are getting chastised all the time?

I would really like this to be a thread where people who have reduced the tip or chosen not to tip can relate their experiences. What happened to make you upset or is it just that you don't take the North American view of tipping so seriously?

For people to be able to respond to this genuine question please can over tippers stay away from this thread as I am sure you have posted your thoughts and experiences several times over and the whole idea of this is to read something different. ;)

Well last year was the first/only time I ever reduced my auto pay tips. It was on the Carnival Splendor and we had the worst dining room experience ever.:mad: Starting on the first night our waitress was horrible and slow. Everybody had their main entree already and she was just barely bringing out our appetizer. The first night we were literally in the MDR for over 2 HOURS, most of it sitting at an empty table watching other people enjoy their food! Our new friends/tablemates agreed to give it another shot on night 2. It wasn't any better but worse. We couldn't even get a refill on our drinks. I refuse to just sit there doing nothing for over 2 hours on a cruise ship when there is other stuff going on. So that was it. We decided to not go back to the MDR. I went to GR and asked to remove the head waiters tips for the rest of the cruise. Ok so thats my story.

Now let the fireworks BEGIN!

I personally like to tip on cruises because I know the situation many of the staff on the ship are in.

However, in the UK (generally) staff are paid a decent basic wage so they do not have to rely on the generosity of customers. When you go to a restaurant the price on the menu is what you are expected to pay - no more. People sometimes leave a tip to say "thanks" but it is always assumed that the EMPLOYER is paying the staff and customers are paying the employer - no other payment is required.

When British people go abroad they probably assume that staff have a decent basic wage - or think it is the employer's moral responsibility to pay the people working for them. I think this is why some are reluctant to tip.

we wont be paying any tips onboard our cruise when we go in a couple of weeks. we have already prepaid all our tips and gratuities b4 we go so dont feel the need to give anymore!!!

Everyone keeps moaning about it but where is the voice of the people who are getting chastised all the time?

I would really like this to be a thread where people who have reduced the tip or chosen not to tip can relate their experiences. What happened to make you upset or is it just that you don't take the North American view of tipping so seriously?

For people to be able to respond to this genuine question please can over tippers stay away from this thread as I am sure you have posted your thoughts and experiences several times over and the whole idea of this is to read something different. ;)

Something I learnt last week:

The 15% added to all bar tabs is pooled and split amongst the 40 bar tenders aboard Explorer. The 15% added to bar bills that are brought to you around the pool area is not pooled that goes straight to the waiter that took your order and brought your drink to you.

The Bartenders do not get a wage as such they get a guaranteed weekly minimum of around $50. They rely on the genorosity of passengers that wish to leave an additional tip to make any real money.

I know this as I was told this by a friend of mine that works as a bartender on the ship.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

we wont be paying any tips onboard our cruise when we go in a couple of weeks. we have already prepaid all our tips and gratuities b4 we go so dont feel the need to give anymore!!!

Then you are missing out on a few tricks then :rolleyes:;)

I'm not sure why so many are so fasinated by how much folks tip, or even how much the staff makes...it's certainly none of our business, and the ship employees willingly work for the pay they recieve...they are NOT shanghaied aboard! They sign a contract!!!

That said...only once have we not tipped someone, and that was a head waiter we never saw. We did bring his tip envelope with us on the last evening, but he never came to the table, and we didn't know who he was, so we gave the envelope to no one!

We've never tipped less than the suggested amount (with that one exception), and have, on occassion, tipped more than the recommended amount.

I am curious - not intending to offend anyone. Do you think the staff realize which countries do not have the custom of tipping and focus on giving better service to those from the US? We have been on many cruises and I have never received anything less than spectacular service. Worth much more than the approximately $10 a day in tips!

I am curious - not intending to offend anyone. Do you think the staff realize which countries do not have the custom of tipping and focus on giving better service to those from the US? We have been on many cruises and I have never received anything less than spectacular service. Worth much more than the approximately $10 a day in tips!

I've received mixed service.

In the Skybar last week service and attitude was awful and I never tipped any extra.

In several other bars the service was outstanding and friendly an I made sure I showed my appreciation.

I have just quickly looked through my final statement and I tipped about $200 on top of the pre paid gratuities for MTD and I know that was money well spent as we were VERY well looked after ;)

We have never tipped less on a cruise but definitely at restaurants where the service was terrible!

Our onboard experience has either been "good" or all the way to "excellent." A server would have to be really bad for us not to tip or reduce the tip. The servers that are "excellent", of course, get extra.

I personally like to tip on cruises because I know the situation many of the staff on the ship are in.

However, in the UK (generally) staff are paid a decent basic wage so they do not have to rely on the generosity of customers. When you go to a restaurant the price on the menu is what you are expected to pay - no more. People sometimes leave a tip to say "thanks" but it is always assumed that the EMPLOYER is paying the staff and customers are paying the employer - no other payment is required.

When British people go abroad they probably assume that staff have a decent basic wage - or think it is the employer's moral responsibility to pay the people working for them. I think this is why some are reluctant to tip.

When in Rome, do as......

Part of travel is to familiarize yourself with the local customs and go along with it, don't assume that if it's okay at home, it's okay everywhere else.

If you can't do that then stay home. (and no, I'm not talking about you, just a general observation....:) )

When in Rome, do as......

Part of travel is to familiarize yourself with the local customs and go along with it, don't assume that if it's okay at home, it's okay everywhere else.

If you can't do that then stay home. (and no, I'm not talking about you, just a general observation....:) )

Yes that is true but you should NEVER reward poor or lazy service.

Regarding the post about the bartenders in the pool area, I suspect if they get very little to no basic wage, that would explain why they ask people so frequently if they want something or not.. while I don't like being bothered every 10 to 15 minutes, I at least understand now why they do it.

(Thanks for sharing that information.)

Regarding tipping overall, I have never tipped the maitre'd on either cruise I've been on. Not sure if this is right or wrong but I honestly feel that in order for someone to receive a tip from me, I ought to receive service from them. Is there any particular reason to tip this person???

Now, regarding head waiters and waiters--I tip them the suggested amount and if I am impressed, I give them extra. I know they are working hard and long hours, so its impressive to me if I get good or great/excellent service.

Regarding the bar staff, I never tip them extra beyond the percentage already taken out of my drink/beverage total. Now, if I am sitting in a lounge for an extended period of time and they leave me be in peace without hassling me, I am likely to tip them double because I appreciate being able to relax as I please.

Regarding the stateroom attendants, I tip them the suggested amount with just a bit extra. I really appreciate the hardwork they do and I enjoy having my room taken care of twice a day. The little touches here and there make a difference to me.

I'm not sure why so many are so fasinated by how much folks tip, or even how much the staff makes...it's certainly none of our business, and the ship employees willingly work for the pay they recieve...they are NOT shanghaied aboard! They sign a contract!!!

That said...only once have we not tipped someone, and that was a head waiter we never saw. We did bring his tip envelope with us on the last evening, but he never came to the table, and we didn't know who he was, so we gave the envelope to no one!

We've never tipped less than the suggested amount (with that one exception), and have, on occassion, tipped more than the recommended amount.

I'm not answering to debate the tip issue as presented by the OP - because I think most of the regulars have read every excuse in the book for not tipping or reducing tips. Also, I'm not one to go flinging money at every staff person I pass on the ship either.

But about CB's response on the headwaiter. We don't always see the headwaiter at our table - but we will see him/her at other tables helping our servers out with difficult groups. So my thoughts - if everything is going smoothly and my servers give great service without seeming rushed - the headwaiter is doing his job.

tipping the head waiter.

what does he do? in truth, i am sure he does something, I just have no idea. i know he gets bribes, i know he looks nice in his jacket, but really? i would rather give his share to my waiter/cabin steward.

the ONLY time on ships (note more then one cruise) I ever see or hear from him is on tipping day.

t

tipping the head waiter.

what does he do? in truth, i am sure he does something, I just have no idea. i know he gets bribes, i know he looks nice in his jacket, but really? i would rather give his share to my waiter/cabin steward.

the ONLY time on ships (note more then one cruise) I ever see or hear from him is on tipping day.

t

If you had a wonderful dinner experience, s/he did their job. That's what they do, they make sure everything runs smoothly....

I have been bartending and serving for 10 years now, don't worry about waitstaff, we do not want to make minimum wage! If I ever leave a shift with less than a $12/hr average I feel as if I had a bad shift. That being said, I don't pay bills or make a living with the money I make, it is more of "fun" money for our family. The crew working on the ships are sacrificing months with their families in order to make a living so any little bit to them helps. It also does not hurt you in any way to leave a little extra to the bartenders or servers. If you don't, don't get aggrevated when they walk right pass you to get my order because I always leave an extra buck each time I get a drink! :rolleyes:

Something I learnt last week:

The 15% added to all bar tabs is pooled and split amongst the 40 bar tenders aboard Explorer. The 15% added to bar bills that are brought to you around the pool area is not pooled that goes straight to the waiter that took your order and brought your drink to you.

The Bartenders do not get a wage as such they get a guaranteed weekly minimum of around $50. They rely on the genorosity of passengers that wish to leave an additional tip to make any real money.

I know this as I was told this by a friend of mine that works as a bartender on the ship.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

Interesting thread....

I just wanted to confirm what Mike said here...not only is what he said accurate but the bar staff does not get one day off thier entire 6 to 7 month contract and work very long hours.yet , the majority of them always greet you with a genuine smile..

leslie

I just wanted to confirm what Mike said here...not only is what he said accurate but the bar staff does not get one day off thier entire 6 to 7 month contract and work very long hours.yet , the majority of them always greet you with a genuine smile..

On my last cruise on Solstice, DW and I sat at the Sunset Bar while in port. It was just the 2 of us, so we had a long chat with the bartender. He was happy to have a personal chat and proudly show pictures of his family. He told us he was on his 4th contract. He said he makes more money than some of the highest paid salaries in his home country of India. The money he makes not only provides for his immediate family, but also for most of his relatives.

He is not the first I have heard this from.

I do not care how they divy the tips, but if the people making those tips are happy, I think we have no right to judge.

Certain restaurant chains over here do not pay the minimum wage as it is legal for them to take into consideration tips that staff receive.

I don't understand why people get so outraged at the fact that employers can legally pay restaurant wait staff in the US less than minimum wage. As someone who waited tables in multiple different establishments during high school and college, I can honestly say I GLADLY accepted $2.01/hour + tips. I made far more that way than I would have making the standard minimum hourly wage without tips.

But about CB's response on the headwaiter. We don't always see the headwaiter at our table - but we will see him/her at other tables helping our servers out with difficult groups. So my thoughts - if everything is going smoothly and my servers give great service without seeming rushed - the headwaiter is doing his job.

That is my assumption as well. My guess is that the head waiter has an assortment of duties that are performed behind the scenes to make sure overall dining room service is carried out as it should be. Unfortunately, most people think if he/she doesn't come by the table and do something "visible", then he "isn't doing anything" and many probably don't tip him for that reason, which is a shame.

tipping the head waiter.

t

We must be the exception to the rule. We have taken eleven cruises and I can honestly say that there were very few nights where the Head Waiter did not visit our table. On our last cruise on the Mariner we were visited EVERY night. I'm not advocating the tipping aspect (although we always have tipped) but am curious to know if we are the only people visited by the Head Waiter.

Interesting thread....

leslie

Yes that shocked me to be honest. Not a single day off as you say.

I waited tables in my earlier years. Those tips paid for my college education, my car payment, my rent, and all other bills. Those tips far surpassed the income of my friends in salary positions. As a person actually recieving tips, I was neither insulted, nor injured.

Tips also paid for my education also, so I feel your pain. That is why at nowhere did I imply tipped positions were degrading to the individual receiving them.

Archived