To all non-tippers!

The Head waiters job is to effectivly orginize and keep everything running smoothly in thier section. That means they are busy. In fact sometimes not seeing them means they are extremly effective at doing thier job. They are watching tables, checking orders, making sure everyone gets what she or he orders in a timely manor. They are in short thier to make sure that you the guest have great service, everything you need and serve you. This can mean depending on how large of an area they over see that they might be to busy to meet everyone at all the tables. If you get everything you ask for and everything is smooth and goes easy or if thier is a problem its straightend out right away that means they have done thier job effectivly and right.

Adri :)

Suggested gratuities are clearly stated in your cruise documents - we started cruising long before there were computers in every home any many years before "The Boards" existed and always knew the suggested amount for tips.

Again, "when in Rome" - tips are expected on a cruise ship, so that's why you should tip regardless of what you do or do not do in your own country. Some lines have already instituted a set "service charge" so it might not be long before it spreads to others.

A tip is voluntary, no one has to tip if they don't want to.

Why not just charge everyone a surcharge and be done with this.

Otherwise a tip should NEVER be "expected".

And on a cruise ship service should never suffer because of tipping.

I wasn't referring to message boards. I think it would be hard to miss the fact that tips are expected on most cruises. When you book you are usually asked if you want to prepay tips. The tipping guidelines are on the cruise line website. I am fairly certain the recommended gratuities are listed in the cruise documents.

At some point during the cruise, you will be left with information on how to insure that the staff member receives their tip. Whether you choose to tip or not is up to you but it would be hard to say that you didn't know it was customary.

Geri, sorry to duplicate...must have been posting at the same time.

A tip should NEVER be "expected".

Suggested gratuities are clearly stated in your cruise documents - we started cruising long before there were computers in every home any many years before "The Boards" existed and always knew the suggested amount for tips.

Yes-it says your dining room waiter. And what if your dining room waiter works in the WJ because that is where you dine??

It does not say MDR.

Remember-many choose to skip MDR now. Be it WJ or specialty.

Theoretically, yes, but if you go into a restaurant in the U.S. and eat dinner, the server will "expect" a tip, provided service has been good. So actually, a tip is "expected".

Okay, I confess... I LOATHE tipping. With a deadly passion! To me, I see it as a cultural creep of 'acceptable begging' or 'personalized bribery'. There. I said it. Flame away.

Since I immigrated to the USA from a non-tipping country (South Africa) many years ago, I naturally did the 'when in Rome..' policy towards tipping. Nevertheless, I detest it. I hate having to add a little extra cash to people for 'simply doing their jobs'. Their job description states a certain thing...I am a customer... they do their job (be it reaching around for a beer in bar or bringing me my dinner etc)... and I pay for the service. But having to dole 20% extra for service from poor to mediocre to 'just okay' just gets me riled up!

And for those people who say...'well you have to tip those people regardless as they earn a low wage'... my response is 'Dont make your problems my problem' .. take it up with your boss to get him to pay you properly for what you are worth!

Now, I certainly believe in tipping for exceptional service. That service that is 'above and beyond' what is expected as normal service. What a pleasure to be dealt well - and I do tip well in those cases.

I just work too damn hard for my money - to simply give it away.

I just have never gotten used to tipping another person simply for them having done their job...

This is what the rest of the world in non-tipping cultures probably feel....

Phew! I certainly feel better getting this off my chest. And if you think I am a cheapskate, low-life etc etc - then you must have mistaken me for someone who cares. :D

Theoretically, yes, but if you go into a restaurant in the U.S. and eat dinner, the server will "expect" a tip, provided service has been good. So actually, a tip is "expected".

Why is it my job to make sure restaurant workers or cruise line workers make a living wage.

If everyone is expected to pay then make it a surcharge so everyone does pay it.

Otherwise it should never be "expected" of anyone.

But having to dole 20% extra for service from poor to mediocre to 'just okay' just gets me riled up! :D

Then don't do it. 20% should be for good to very good service, not poor or mediocre service. And if service is that bad, I would also suggest bringint it to the attention of a manager, either while you are still there, or later in a written note.

Hi all..this is my first post on here..probably not the best place to start =) Anyway...

I have been on 2 cruises, and only did not tip once..and it was to our cabin steward on Freedom of the Seas. My sister and I did a 7 night cruise (I think it was 7 nights) and our room steward was horrible! She was rude to us and didn't respect our stuff. The toilet in our room kept getting messed up, and when we would report it she would accuse us of putting things in it we shouldn't. One day we came in to find all of our stuff in a big black trash bag on the floor. It was horrible! We tipped everyone else, but not her. I don't think that behavior needed to be positively reinforced.

I'm going on a cruise on Liberty of the Seas on Sept 26th with my boyfriend..we are planning on doing all of the tips before we go so we don't have to worry about it on board. Then, if people are really impressive, we will just tip extra as the trip goes.

I remember wondering why we were tipping the Headwaiter on our first few cruises! We had the same experience many of you did - he introduced himself the first night, then we never saw him again until the last night.

But a few cruises ago, we had an issue with really SLOW service in the MDR. On the first night we took it in stride and figured things would improve. We were a table of 4, and our wait team had a couple of larger tables with 8-10 people, one of which seemed to be pretty demanding, so clearly, those were taking more time than normal. On the second night, having waited even longer for each course, we talked to the Headwaiter. (We had also communicated with some folks at the next table since we had a lot of time on our hands.... and one of them had heard about some problems in the kitchen and frustration among the waiters.)

So, at the end of the 2nd night dinner, we complained about the slow delivery of food to our Headwaiter. I was nice about it, but explained that we were trying to make it to a show and the slowness was affecting our ability to enjoy other activities onboard. I also said that we really liked both our waiters and had heard that possibly the problem was in the kitchen. He was very apologetic and said, "It doesn't matter where the problem originates, we are a team in the MDR, and it's my job to coordinate things and solve this problem for you. Thank you for bringing it to my attention."

Wow - a guy that takes responsibility! We thought his response was refreshing! No buck passing and no excuses, and it was really the first time we understood the purpose of the headwaiter. So on night 3, service was seamless, and the HW was very visible in our area of the MDR. He was not just chatting at the various tables, but was helping bring out & deliver food, bringing wine, and assisting the waiters/asst. waiters with whatever was needed. At the end of the night 3 dinner (which took an hour less than the previous nights), he made a point to ask us how the service was. We responded that it was much improved and thanked him! The rest of the cruise, service in the MDR was just great. Suddenly I began to understand what a good Headwaiter does...needless to say this guy got a generous tip. We thought he should be rewarded for his attitude, as well as his willingness to pitch in to get the job done. Thus, I now have a new appreciation for the Headwaiter and I figure if we are getting good service, he's doing his job well.

Judy

Why is it my job to make sure restaurant workers or cruise line workers make a living wage.

If everyone is expected to pay then make it a surcharge so everyone does pay it.

Otherwise it should never be "expected" of anyone.

It's not your "job" to make sure anyone makes any level of wage; it's customary to tip as has been discussed. If you have bad service, don't tip, and make a complaint to the manager. If you have good service, pay the customary tip (low end is fine) and be done with it.

The "living wage" argument is just an excuse for people to cheap out. If you're that concerned with people being about to afford to live, give them the tip that is customary and you won't have to worry, they will do fine.

Jo, with 731 posts on a mini cruise that is going to last around 54 hours, I hope you are going to write a book on it. ;)These 4 and 3 day (fill in cruises) that tend to buffer the 10, 11 and 14 day cruises thereby, getting the programmes back into a Saturday departure phase. They are really a taster to hopefully get you to book a longer cruise, and to utilise the "buffer" period to offer a short trip programme.

Having spent 25 days on this ship, we have still not been in every bar and venue. It is a "Wow" experience, and I am sure you will enjoy it, but to be honest you will simply have a taste of what the ship has to offer and I think you will already know what is going to appeal to you and what isn't. I truly wouldn't worry about it, just settle back and enjoy the short experience. My guess is you will be left hungry for a longer trip at some later date.

As far as "tipping" is concerned, love it or loathe it, it is part of the cruise holiday culture, and where the guidelines are laid down, it is clearly expected. This is not just an "American" thing, it has long been a tradition and part of the norm on Cunard and vessels of nationalities much closer to these shores. That said, this is, in essence, an American resort hotel. To that end the expected norms are that various service staff should be "tipped" in accordance with those norms, and in accordance with what those staff expect will be the reward for the excellent service they in turn both do and are expected to offer.

Understand that I am not advocating or endorsing this culture or these practices, but nevertheless they are the expected and accepted norms of business within the culture of the companies and their home bases. If you like, it is the same as taking a holiday in the US or the caribbean and saying "I understand the expected norms, but I am not going to comply with them." If that is the case then why bother inflicting it on yourself.

I regularly travel between the UK and the USA as the Captain of an airline crew. We always brief our new crew on "tipping" in the USA. People will often applaud how cheap prices are for restaurant meals in the US, without realising that the menu price isn't the end of the story. Unlike in Europe, sales tax is added on to the final bill and in addition service staff "gratuities" of between 15 and 20% are also expected, unless there has been some compelling reason to adjust these up or down. Therefore the cheap headline price is often something of an overstatement by the time realistic adjustments are applied.

Culturally in the UK we regard "tipping" as more of a special expression of something over and above the expected norm. This isn't always the case, but certainly we would regard 10% as quite acceptable in this regard. In the US, that might be seen as an implied crriticism that the service wasn't all it should have been.

On these cruise ships, they highlight the recommended amounts for "gratuties," and these should be viewed as the expected amounts of additional cost to be budgeted for this type of holiday. Certainly you can adjust them up, down or omit them altogether if you so choose. The staff want them, know that they must ensure a personal and high level of service to receive them, and rely on them to guarantee the reward that they expect for the work they put in. Part of the cultural difference, is that North Americans seem happy to reward the fact that they have had a great experience on vacation. In the Uk, culturally, we seem more obsessed by how much the whole thing has cost, and how we can mitigate any conceivable expense possible as the last day approaches. Of course this is not universally true, but it is a much more widespread practice on the Eastern side of the North Atlantic, than it is on the Western side.

In summary, this an American resort holiday. The expected normality is that gratuities will be given to designated service staff provided they in turn add to the very good / excellent overall experience. If that doesn't happen then you can adjust as you see fit. If you want to pre-pay you can do so. If you want to pay yourself you can do so (in all but a few circumstances.) If you don't want to pay for whatever reason, you can do so. It is up to you at the end of the day.

It's not your "job" to make sure anyone makes any level of wage; it's customary to tip as has been discussed. If you have bad service, don't tip, and make a complaint to the manager. If you have good service, pay the customary tip (low end is fine) and be done with it.

The "living wage" argument is just an excuse for people to cheap out. If you're that concerned with people being about to afford to live, give them the tip that is customary and you won't have to worry, they will do fine.

It's not everyones custom to tip. In many countries it is the custom NOT to tip.

The fact that it's your custom to tip is not something everyone shares.

If you think everyone should pay then make it a surcharge so everyone will pay it. What is the problem with that?

No one is trying to "cheap out".

But don't force everyone in the world to share your customs about tipping.

BTW until they make this fair for everyone (a surcharge) I tip between 20% and 25%.

That is my choice and not done because it's "typical" or "customary" to you or anyone else

Regarding the post about the bartenders in the pool area, I suspect if they get very little to no basic wage, that would explain why they ask people so frequently if they want something or not.. while I don't like being bothered every 10 to 15 minutes, I at least understand now why they do it.

(Thanks for sharing that information.)

Regarding tipping overall, I have never tipped the maitre'd on either cruise I've been on. Not sure if this is right or wrong but I honestly feel that in order for someone to receive a tip from me, I ought to receive service from them. Is there any particular reason to tip this person???

Now, regarding head waiters and waiters--I tip them the suggested amount and if I am impressed, I give them extra. I know they are working hard and long hours, so its impressive to me if I get good or great/excellent service.

Regarding the bar staff, I never tip them extra beyond the percentage already taken out of my drink/beverage total. Now, if I am sitting in a lounge for an extended period of time and they leave me be in peace without hassling me, I am likely to tip them double because I appreciate being able to relax as I please.

Regarding the stateroom attendants, I tip them the suggested amount with just a bit extra. I really appreciate the hardwork they do and I enjoy having my room taken care of twice a day. The little touches here and there make a difference to me.

Well said.

Jo, with 731 posts on a mini cruise that is going to last around 54 hours, I hope you are going to write a book on it. ;)These 4 and 3 day (fill in cruises) that tend to buffer the 10, 11 and 14 day cruises thereby, getting the programmes back into a Saturday departure phase. They are really a taster to hopefully get you to book a longer cruise, and to utilise the "buffer" period to offer a short trip programme.

Having spent 25 days on this ship, we have still not been in every bar and venue. It is a "Wow" experience, and I am sure you will enjoy it, but to be honest you will simply have a taste of what the ship has to offer and I think you will already know what is going to appeal to you and what isn't. I truly wouldn't worry about it, just settle back and enjoy the short experience. My guess is you will be left hungry for a longer trip at some later date.

As far as "tipping" is concerned, love it or loathe it, it is part of the cruise holiday culture, and where the guidelines are laid down, it is clearly expected. This is not just an "American" thing, it has long been a tradition and part of the norm on Cunard and vessels of nationalities much closer to these shores. That said, this is, in essence, an American resort hotel. To that end the expected norms are that various service staff should be "tipped" in accordance with those norms, and in accordance with what those staff expect will be the reward for the excellent service they in turn both do and are expected to offer.

Understand that I am not advocating or endorsing this culture or these practices, but nevertheless they are the expected and accepted norms of business within the culture of the companies and their home bases. If you like, it is the same as taking a holiday in the US or the caribbean and saying "I understand the expected norms, but I am not going to comply with them." If that is the case then why bother inflicting it on yourself.

I regularly travel between the UK and the USA as the Captain of an airline crew. We always brief our new crew on "tipping" in the USA. People will often applaud how cheap prices are for restaurant meals in the US, without realising that the menu price isn't the end of the story. Unlike in Europe, sales tax is added on to the final bill and in addition service staff "gratuities" of between 15 and 20% are also expected, unless there has been some compelling reason to adjust these up or down. Therefore the cheap headline price is often something of an overstatement by the time realistic adjustments are applied.

Culturally in the UK we regard "tipping" as more of a special expression of something over and above the expected norm. This isn't always the case, but certainly we would regard 10% as quite acceptable in this regard. In the US, that might be seen as an implied crriticism that the service wasn't all it should have been.

On these cruise ships, they highlight the recommended amounts for "gratuties," and these should be viewed as the expected amounts of additional cost to be budgeted for this type of holiday. Certainly you can adjust them up, down or omit them altogether if you so choose. The staff want them, know that they must ensure a personal and high level of service to receive them, and rely on them to guarantee the reward that they expect for the work they put in. Part of the cultural difference, is that North Americans seem happy to reward the fact that they have had a great experience on vacation. In the Uk, culturally, we seem more obsessed by how much the whole thing has cost, and how we can mitigate any conceivable expense possible as the last day approaches. Of course this is not universally true, but it is a much more widespread practice on the Eastern side of the North Atlantic, than it is on the Western side.

In summary, this an American resort holiday. The expected normality is that gratuities will be given to designated service staff provided they in turn add to the very good / excellent overall experience. If that doesn't happen then you can adjust as you see fit. If you want to pre-pay you can do so. If you want to pay yourself you can do so (in all but a few circumstances.) If you don't want to pay for whatever reason, you can do so. It is up to you at the end of the day.

Your right, it's an American custom.

Not every should feel they have to share our customs.

According to you it's the American way or the highway.

No wonder so much of the world don't like us.

And if the cruise line really cared about worker wages they would follow American labor laws.

I am curious to know why? If you are on a cruise and the service provided is excellent, why would the staff not expect to be tipped? Certainly they cannot demand a tip, but I think it is reasonable to expect one. If the passenger chooses not to tip, so be it. That will be an unmet expectation.

I tried to remove tips once due to the horrible service, but RC wouldn't do it because I had prepaid my tips. I was told that they were "non-refundable" so I won't prepay ever again.

That was the first time that I was ever glad to get off a ship. I couldn't believe that RC wouldn't let me have any of the prepaid gratuities back because they were aware of the issues with the cabin steward. I guess the steward knew she already had her money so she didn't bother trying to do a reasonable job for us. We gave the assistant waiter extra because of the extra work he did to make up for the waiter's lacking.

If you have My Time Dining, you must prepay your tips. You bring up an interesting point - I know that at some point the crew finds out who has pre-paid or charged their gratuities. If they get the report at the beginning of the cruise, some (very few I would hope) might slack off on the service. My impression from a chatty waiter some years ago was that the list isn't released until near the end.

The Head waiters job is to effectivly orginize and keep everything running smoothly in thier section. That means they are busy. In fact sometimes not seeing them means they are extremly effective at doing thier job. They are watching tables, checking orders, making sure everyone gets what she or he orders in a timely manor. They are in short thier to make sure that you the guest have great service, everything you need and serve you. This can mean depending on how large of an area they over see that they might be to busy to meet everyone at all the tables. If you get everything you ask for and everything is smooth and goes easy or if thier is a problem its straightend out right away that means they have done thier job effectivly and right.

Perhaps so, but since they are presumably getting a tip for doing their jobs I think they could take ten minutes out of the course of the cruise to introduce themselves. I wouldn't leave anything for a maitre d' I'd never met (hasn't ever happened). It's only .75/day, so I assume they are also salaried and that, in their case, the extra is simply gravy.

Except that a tip is not really a tip on a cruise ship since the waiter/assistant waiter/cabin steward are only paid $50/month by the cruise line. It's a service charge, which I think should be added automatically and removed only under strictly controlled circumstances (the customer would first have to bring the deficiency to somebody's attention and only remove it if things weren't resolved).

As for the original question, we're usually in the "overtipper" category, but have been known to leave a bit less if service hasn't been up to snuff. Fortunately, it has rarely happened on RCI.

Sorry but what is the difference between a 'bar tab' and a 'bar bill'?

A 'tab' is a 'bill' in my book.

There is a story, of a British family, parents and 2 children who spent 2 weeks on Independence out of Southampton. At the end of the 2 weeks they handed their envelope to their cabin steward - it had a tea-bag in it. They walked off.

That is why you should tip.

A bar tab is an open bill for as long as your drinking and totaled up at the end of your night. A bill is just that, your bill, may it be for each drink or a running tab. Get it? We alway have an open tab at the bar if they alow it. It's just easy that way and we don't have to sign for each drink.

Your right, it's an American custom.

Not every should feel they have to share our customs.

No wonder so much of the world don't like us.

And if the cruise line really cared about worker wages they would follow American labor laws.

It amazes me how differently people can read and interpret the same message.

First off, the poster you quoted said "...in the UK we....." that indicates to me he is British, not American. Aside from that, he did not imply (in my interpretation) that it was the American way or the highway. He simply explained (in the best way I've seen) why the situation is what it is on cruise ships. The cruise lines have decided (and it is certainly within their rights to do so) to use a pay scale that is dependent on tips for their service personnel. They go to great lengths to publicize that tips are a part of the package of total costs by referring to them on their web site, in cruise documents, in the daily events program and by offering pre-pay options (requiring them for those who choose My Time Dining).

The crew accepted their jobs on that basis and people go on the cruise knowing that is how it works.

I think very few people would stop cruising if the cost that was charged by RCL included tips. There would be all kinds of complaints about how the price was increased but nothing extra was provided as the cabins were always cleaned and the meals were always served. But that's just crap. You can't have it both ways. Pay the tips in a higher base price or pay them to the individuals. The cost is the same. But those who would stop cruising are probably the ones who stiff the crew anyway.

I would be perfectly happy to pay a base price that included tips and then choose (if warranted) to give those who truly excelled a little extra in cash but I am also OK with things as they are.

Debating the customs of one culture or another is a waste of time. The cruise lines set the system and most people accept it even if they may not like it. But those who refuse to tip at all are cheap or amazingly uninformed.

Not at all. You obviously didn't read the last paragraph. I am perfectly happy for this custom to be dropped generally or specifically. If it is replaced with a service charge or included as part of the final invoiced cost, you will hear little protest from me. However the point was, that is not the case, and the expected and accepted practice at the moment is as it exists. The same practices are widely employed on the cruise ships of British, Italian, and United States companies, and those of many other countries.

I am British, not American. However I accept that there are differences in cultural practices in other countries. When I board an RCCL ship I regard it as travelling to an American resort and am guided accordingly.

I surely wanted to reduce tips on our NCL Sky cruise, but it would have been too much of a bother as they had been prepaid and the lines at Guest Services were always long. But the overall service in the buffet, MDR, and other eating venues was subpar at best (and I'm not one to expect Alinea level service... Olive Garden service is good enough for me).

I do admit that I stiffed one of the baggage porters at the pier. As soon as we got out of our cab, one of the porters rushed up and said, "You can give me $2 per bag." Mind you, I think DH was still IN the cab when he said this. I said, "Oh, I didn't know there was a charge per bag." He said, "No, that's my tip."

WHAT? He was pining for tips before he even provided a service? We said no thanks, and carried our bags on board ourselves (short cruise, small bags).

critterchick- The thing is if the head waiter does thier job effectivly and everything is taken care and handles things smoothly. Why do they have to introduce themselves all the time? Thier job is to make sure we all get what we need and want rightly so. Thier job to is if there are any problems to take care of them quietly, quickly and effiecently. That is no small task some times but a great head waiter is woth every penny they are tipped and then some.

we wont be paying any tips onboard our cruise when we go in a couple of weeks. we have already prepaid all our tips and gratuities b4 we go so dont feel the need to give anymore!!!

Ok so I am a little confused about the prepaid tipping. Does that only cover the dining staff or the cabin and dining staff? And I am correct that all drinks I order have an automatic 15% tip included??

We have done the prepaid and just trying to figure out my budget for the cruise.

But those who refuse to tip at all are cheap or amazingly uninformed.?

You tried to be balanced but then lost it at the end .Uninformed how , as a party of brits on my first couple of RCCL cruises i visited the Rep asking her to explain exactly what we were expected to do ( appreciate guidelines on the official website but so many contrasting opinions etc ) she would not deviate from you give what you want to give , if you want to give anything

That was it end off

Sixth Rccl cruise approaching and we tip more than guidelines , every drink etc but some of the moralistic nonsense coming from what looks like mostly our American friends is bizarre

Obviously it's your custom , not ours -so step away from the moral high ground please with anyone with a different view point

If you have My Time Dining, you must prepay your tips. You bring up an interesting point - I know that at some point the crew finds out who has pre-paid or charged their gratuities. If they get the report at the beginning of the cruise, some (very few I would hope) might slack off on the service. My impression from a chatty waiter some years ago was that the list isn't released until near the end.
This cruise took place a couple of years ago. I don't think MTD was available onboard yet, but I'm not positive about it. I had prepaid once before (by accident) when I booked through a travel agent and didn't notice that he had added the gratuities in the final statement. Service was fine then. In fact, I haven't ever had service other than this particular time when I was tempted to reduce or remove the tips. Since this cruise was about 2 weeks, we thought it would be nice to prepay the gratuities to help lessen our bill at the end of the cruise. Normally we add the gratuities to our seapass and give extra in cash if deserved.

Maybe the steward didn't know she had her money from day one. She had an attitude from day one so she either already knew we had prepaid or else she didn't care if she got a tip at all. The towel thing wasn't the only issue I had with her. She told us the first day that she would only bring ice when asked so I let her know that I like to have ice both mornings and evening. Not good enough. She wanted a note left every time requesting the ice. If I forgot to leave a note, she didn't leave ice. On the days she didn't clean, I got no ice whether I left a note or not. :mad: The main reason I suspect she knew we had prepaid was she was also the steward for some people who were at our dining table. They hadn't prepaid their gratiuities. They also didn't have the same attitude from her. They thought she did an adequate job. They didn't request extra towels but they got ice without asking for it each time.

I prefer fixed seating for dinner so I won't prepay my tips anymore. While I don't mind paying the standard amount of gratuities when service is at least adequate, I do not want to be stuck rewarding poor service because prepaid gratuities aren't refundable/reduceable.

Archived