To all non-tippers!

Now, having said all of that, I do have something to ponder - When I stay at a nice 4- or 5-star hotel, I typically leave a tip on the bed each day for the housekeeper. I wonder why you couldn't do that on a cruise ship? It is recommended that gratuities be paid on the last day (in most cases envelopes are provided the night before). Well, I guess you could do that on the cruise ship, it just doesn't seem to be customary. Wonder if it would affect service received?

Basically, this is what I do. Back in the old days when you prepared envelopes for the last evening with cash, we would usually give $20 or so extra unless they were really bad which only happened once that I can remember. We still gave him the "recommended" amount.

When the "automatic" tips went into the picture that you can put on your sea pass card, we loved that we didn't have to worry about carrying a lot of cash with us and having the right change to stuff envelopes plus put it on our sea pass which goes to our credit card which gives us a cash rebate everything year made it an even better deal.

Hence, I started to leave $2 every day for the room steward with a piece of snack candy and a note thanking him/her for something they have done. It could be keeping my six-pack cooler full of ice, finding me an egg crate or just keeping the cabin so neat and clean or for the cute towel animal. I can always find something.

At the end of the cruise, I leave $5 (or $10 on the dresser if they have been really good) with a thank you. I, also, give them an excellent rating by name in the exit survey. That is worth almost as much to them as dead Presidents. Gets them promotions and extra time off.

Funny thing is they always stop me in the hallway sometime and tell me how much they enjoy the candy but never hear a mention of the money (lol).

We will, also, slip $5 or so to our waiter and bus boy halfway through the week plus put extra in the envelope. We have, also, found out that a dollar to a grill employee will gain you a newbestfriend who will clear a table for you, fetch you a drink, even get you dessert if you ask.

Tucker in Texas

I would have thought that choosing an amount to give as a gratuity is the norm worldwide. You certainly don't know me well enough to discuss my personal principles. My understanding, having read much discussion on this website, is that most people pay the recommended gratuity, or a little more for very good service, or a little less if the service falls below what is expected. That being the case, it would appear to be a GENERAL principle that people choose the level of gratuity that they give according to service received - which is what I do.

Along those lines then I think it appropriate for crew to give a service level they think each individual pax deserves.

Those with attitude will probably tip less so it is OK for them to treat those pax differently.

That way everyone gets what they deserve.:);)

My DW and I consider ourselves very fortunate to have started from where we did to arrive in where we are in life. I more than any anyone can be catigorized as very free handed with tips.:)

But there are a few exceptions to those rules.Talk to me like I am a Rube,and do't know what fork to use. Talk to me like I need to be spoon fed. That will cetainly get my attention:eek:

Wow, I don't gamble but I never would have thought it appropriate to tip a dealer. Why do you tip for a good hand? It isn't like the dealer had any input into deciding to give it to you.

to me, it's more like thanking them for assisting me in my good run, like they were Lucky for me.

Archived