Steaks: Rare, Medium or Burned?

TravelSmarty

Isn't it curious that none of the posters on this thread even considered another option that is very popular all over planet Earth - with the exception of the USA.

Raw beef is served in many forms in places like England, France, Holland, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan, Korea, and Russia.

And it's wonderful.

You people need to get out a bit more.

Beef carpaccio and steak tartare are not uncommon offerings in US restaurants, so I'm not sure where you're coming from on this.

Isn't it curious that none of the posters on this thread even considered another option that is very popular all over planet Earth - with the exception of the USA.

Raw beef is served in many forms in places like England, France, Holland, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan, Korea, and Russia.

And it's wonderful.

But raw beef is rarely served in steak form, it's usually minced, chopped or thinly sliced.

I love raw beef dishes, especially Japanese-style, but I like my steaks cooked. Hot right through but as rare as possible depending on the cut. Steaks with heavy marbling need longer cooking than lean steaks, so that the fat melts into the meat.

When I ate beef, I wanted it well done, too. I sometimes had to send it back but I eventually got it the way I had originally requested.

Thanks for the response. I was able to view one of the menus from a cruise and I noticed it said "served medium well" under one of the dishes I wasn't sure if they would accommodate my very well done request. I saw pics of the roast and other red meats, very bloody :(...I love red meat but not blood...anyhow, thanks.

Thanks for the response. I was able to view one of the menus from a cruise and I noticed it said "served medium well" under one of the dishes I wasn't sure if they would accommodate my very well done request. I saw pics of the roast and other red meats, very bloody :(...I love red meat but not blood...anyhow, thanks.

If you order filet mignon, ask the waiter to note that the kitchen staff butterfly it. That cut down on the number of times I had to return filet so that it did not look like a crime scene, lol.

Edited by Bookish Angel

As has been mentioned earlier this thread, there is no blood in steaks; all the blood is drained during slaughter. There is only trace amounts of blood left, the blood does not look red and the quantity is the same regardless if the steak is a proper medium rare or overcooked. The only thing cooking steak well done achieves is cooking out all the beef flavor and creating a tough texture.

As has been mentioned earlier this thread, there is no blood in steaks; all the blood is drained during slaughter. There is only trace amounts of blood left, the blood does not look red and the quantity is the same regardless if the steak is a proper medium rare or overcooked. The only thing cooking steak well done achieves is cooking out all the beef flavor and creating a tough texture.

That is when you order a bottle of catsup on the side. Yuck. ;)

• 5 months later...
I like it rare but used to like medium rare. I like it "bloody" now.

My wife agrees with you and thanks to a HAL Pinnacle Grill Chef, she learned to order her steak "blue" or "Pittsburgh Style." Most formally-trained chefs know this term and can deliver exactly what you requested.

I learned that steaks on cruise ships are pre-seared and then cooked to the passenger's requested doneness. Ordering "blue" gets you a raw steak (not pre-seared) that is seared just prior to delivery to your table.

And it's wonderful.

I LOVE raw beef. Unfortunately most other countries have healthier beef guide lines than the good old USA. I will only eat it when I know who has raised the cow. I buy half beefs from a girlfriend who raises them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's not "blood" in a properly cooked medium-rare steak, most of the blood drained out after the animal was beheaded, then most of the little blood left came out when it was dismembered.

Cooking an steak "well done" is an insult to the animal :rolleyes: