Cancel For Any Reason Insurance HELP!

Tapi

Hello:

I have a cruise planned for the month of August. Since our deposit is 100% fully refundable until the middle of June, we haven't added insurance yet. However, as I research insurance plans, I'm realizing that no company will provide us with "Cancel For Any Reason" Insurance because we made our initial deposit back in April.

Most policies state that this type of insurance must be added within 15 days of placing the initial cruise deposit, even if it's 100% refundable until final payment date.

I feel like I want to cancel and make a brand new reservation to "fulfill their requirements", (currently, rates are the same to when I booked), but I'd much rather prefer to find an insurance company which will allow me to add Cancel For Any Reason Insurance at the final payment date.

Does anybody know of any insurance company which will allow us to do so?

Thanks for the input!!

Hello:

I'd much rather prefer to find an insurance company which will allow me to add Cancel For Any Reason Insurance at the final payment date.

Does anybody know of any insurance company which will allow us to do so?

Thanks for the input!!

There are none.

I found myself in the same situation. Cruise scheduled for August, paid deposit months ago, and did not think about insurance until it was too late for Cancel for Any Reason coverage. I was unable to find any that offered it after a payment was made. Unfortunately I didn't have the option of cancel/rebook b/c the ship is essentially sold out and I believe there is a waitlust for the type of cabin I'm holding. Hopefully you're not in that situation. But, be aware that if fares have gone up since you initially booked, you'll in all likelihood need to accept the new fare. Also, don't dawdle on your insurance purchase b/c once you've paid for the cruise in full, even fewer insurance options will be available to you.

Good luck!

Leslie

There aren't any.

Why?

If you could book "Cancel for Any Reason" well after booking, people would inevitably sign up AFTER it looked like they might be canceling for an uncovered reason. If you are forced to sign up for the coverage at initial deposit, you probably would not be able to predict cancellation causing events so far in the future.

SirWired

• 1 month later...

:confused: I also think I read somewhere that if you cancel and re-book, same cruise, the insurance company will use the original date, not the new date and the same rules and timelines will apply. Please check this out to make sure and I'm uncertain.

:confused: I also think I read somewhere that if you cancel and re-book, same cruise, the insurance company will use the original date, not the new date and the same rules and timelines will apply. Please check this out to make sure and I'm uncertain.

I don't see why they would. As long as the new deposit payment and the new booking have the new date, your original booking is gone and irrelevant. As long as you re-book everything, you should be in good shape. (As in, if you re-book the cruise, but use an older airfare booking, the older airfare date will be the controlling one.)

SirWired

Interesting information on the Trip Insurance Store website http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/3/initial.shtml#a about what date different policies consider to be your initial trip deposit date.

As always, different policies have different rules and conditions so always be sure you know what you are and are not purchasing before buying any policy.

Interesting information on the Trip Insurance Store website http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/3/initial.shtml#a about what date different policies consider to be your initial trip deposit date.

As always, different policies have different rules and conditions so always be sure you know what you are and are not purchasing before buying any policy.

What if you re-book your trip? Does your initial deposit date change?

Switching the cruise to a different travel agent doesn't neccessarily re-set your Initial Deposit Date. If any of the money you paid previously is either transferred or applied to your new cruise's booking, the original deposit date will be the same

There is our answer. Thank you this is very informative. We have been told that Cancellation Insurance must be purchase the day you book your cruise or within a couple of days after. There may be some difference in the time allowed but no much.

Archived