Your favorite cooking tool?

TravelSmarty

As a CIA graduate and former chef I have a huge collection of kitchen tools, gadgets and cookbooks. I would have to say the my kitchenade stand mixture (bought 1980) has taking a licking and keeps on ticking. I have used it in restaurants that I have owned as well as in my home. It is older than my oldest kid and a lot more reliable. :)

A runner up to my favorite is my 8" Ken Onion Shun knife. I use to be a die hard wustoff trident fan, and still am. But this Shun knife has an incredibly durable blade and perfect balance. Doesn't chop very well but does a great job on all other applications.

• 2 weeks later...

I second the kitchen aid stand mixer as my "favorite" although I only use it about once a week. Everybody I know thought I was insane for paying that much for a mixer but I love it!

I'm also a huge fan of my cast iron skillet. Everything just tastes so much better from it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As a CIA graduate and former chef I have a huge collection of kitchen tools, gadgets and cookbooks. I would have to say the my kitchenade stand mixture (bought 1980) has taking a licking and keeps on ticking. I have used it in restaurants that I have owned as well as in my home. It is older than my oldest kid and a lot more reliable. :)

A runner up to my favorite is my 8" Ken Onion Shun knife. I use to be a die hard wustoff trident fan, and still am. But this Shun knife has an incredibly durable blade and perfect balance. Doesn't chop very well but does a great job on all other applications.

I just found this board and went crazy..... how did i miss it? I am SUCH a foodie!

Now i discover that you are a male me!!

Someone would have to pry my kitchenaid out of my cold dead hands, and what is my "go to" knife? ....my ken onion 8"......

you are the first chef/cook I have "met" who uses it, other than myself.

I like the hand-feel and the balance with the offset handle.

I use to be a chef, graduated from the CIA, class of '81. I have cooked under the most varied of situations. I have used all sorts of gizmos and gadgets to improvise. The ONLY thing that I struggle with is not having a good sharp knife. From the beginning of my career. way back in the 80's, I accumulated an expensive and diverse set of Wustoff Tridents. In the past two years as my kids get their own places, I have passed the Wustoff cutlery on to them. They have gown up helping in the kitchen and they knew my knives and knife skills were my mise en place.

So as I pass down my prized cutlery I have been replacing them with knive from Ken Onion, 8" Shun & 10 chef.

:cool:

I use to be a chef, graduated from the CIA, class of '81. I have cooked under the most varied of situations. I have used all sorts of gizmos and gadgets to improvise. The ONLY thing that I struggle with is not having a good sharp knife. From the beginning of my career. way back in the 80's, I accumulated an expensive and diverse set of Wustoff Tridents. In the past two years as my kids get their own places, I have passed the Wustoff cutlery on to them. They have gown up helping in the kitchen and they knew my knives and knife skills were my mise en place.

So as I pass down my prized cutlery I have been replacing them with knive from Ken Onion, 8" Shun & 10 chef.

:cool:

We have a bit more in common....

I studied Asian cooking and techniques for quite a few years.

When I moved to Florida, I taught Chinese and Thai cuisine at the adult school here.

I'm proud to say my classes were the only ones that were always sold out and waitlisted... but that maybe had more to do with my sense of humor than the actual cooking.... I am a frustrated galloping gourmet, I suppose... loved to keep things fun!

I kept my Global boning knife, but when I found I was almost exclusively using the Ken Onion 9" slicer, 8" chefs, and 5" utility knife for everything but bread (I have a garden variety long serrated knife that works just fine for that) I too passed along the goodies to my daughters....

They have been the beneficiaries of lots of things I thought I wanted and needed in the kitchen, but then didn't... I confess, I am a gadget geek.

They have to wait till I die to get the All-Clad...:D

We have a bit more in common....

I studied Asian cooking and techniques for quite a few years.

When I moved to Florida, I taught Chinese and Thai cuisine at the adult school here.

I'm proud to say my classes were the only ones that were always sold out and waitlisted... but that maybe had more to do with my sense of humor than the actual cooking.... I am a frustrated galloping gourmet, I suppose... loved to keep things fun!

I kept my Global boning knife, but when I found I was almost exclusively using the Ken Onion 9" slicer, 8" chefs, and 5" utility knife for everything but bread (I have a garden variety long serrated knife that works just fine for that) I too passed along the goodies to my daughters....

They have been the beneficiaries of lots of things I thought I wanted and needed in the kitchen, but then didn't... I confess, I am a gadget geek.

They have to wait till I die to get the All-Clad...:D

This is unbelieveable!!! No matter what I post on CC; you respond with overlapping interest. We have so much to chat about when we finally meet on the Eurodam on 12/4. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived