Questions about Celebrity, new to Celebrity

Gaprofitt

Hi All,

We have some questions, we have been on Princess, RCCL and Carnival. We are considering a 10 day cruise on the Equinox. We tend to be casual cruisers, shorts, tshirts etc. Will celebrity be too stuffy for us? We are a young couple in our 30's. We have a boatload of questions.

Will we be able to get a table at dinner for just the two of us?

Do most people wear casual clothing during the day? Shorts, tshirts etc

Is there an alternative menu at dinner if we don't like the selections? Steak, chicken, etc?

Will the ship be comprised of mainly an older crowd?

What beverage selections are offered for free at the buffet?

How casual is it in the evenings on non-formal night?

What entertainment can we expect?

Hi All,

We have some questions, we have been on Princess, RCCL and Carnival. We are considering a 10 day cruise on the Equinox. We tend to be casual cruisers, shorts, tshirts etc. Will celebrity be too stuffy for us? We are a young couple in our 30's. We have a boatload of questions.

Is there an alternative menu at dinner if we don't like the selections? Steak, chicken, etc?

Shorts, Ts fine during the day. long pants & nice short sleeved shirts okay for most casual nights

you may have to request a table for 2 w/Matre D', but it can be done

most evening buffets are limited, but there is a "regular menu with steak, chicken, salad if you don't like the daily selections

iced tea, lemonade or fruit punch,water at the buffet

pianists, 2 big music/dance shows, at least one comic/impressionist

Welcome to X. I'll try to help and of course others will also add their suggestions/comments:

You can make this request. I've heard of a lot that they have accomplished this. I have heard it is easier to do in Blu than the MDR. There is also the possibility of Anytime Dining in the MDR

Yes

Yes, the left side of the menu has these choices.

I really depends on the itinerary. Usually, the longer the cruise, the older the demographics. However, the oldest demographics I have experienced as a 7 day cruise out of FTL. I have sailed the S class ships 3 times and for some reason (perhaps just chance) they appear to draw a younger clientele.

Coffee, tea, milk, punch, iced tea, lemonade

While it is more casual than formal night (obviously) you wont see many wearing shorts. Most passengers will wear the dress code of the evening throughout the evening.

A cappella group, strings quartet, comedians, and of course production shows. On Equinox, they were quite good and incorporated many aspects of Cirque du Soleil.

If it is at all possible, they will get you one. I would go to the dining room as soon as you board. I have found Celebrity very accommodating and will do whatever they can.

Yes.

Yes. There are quite a few "always available" items on the menu.

I have found a good mix of passengers. Obviously if school is out there will be more kids.

Coffee, orange juice, punch, water and iced tea.

Most will follow the recommended dress code while in the dining room, but some will skip the dining room and stay in shorts, t-shirts etc.

The usual musical revues, comedians and musicians in the theater. There is always live music somewhere around the ship. There will also be a DJ for dancing.

I don't think the people are stuffy at all. Most every cruiser I've met, no matter which ship or line, has been wonderful, happy and very friendly.

Did you request that when you booked? You can contact the "Dining Coordinator" and request what you want, but they won't guarantee anything.

Yes

Yes, it is fantastic. The food is MUCH better than Princess, or RCI (haven't been on Carnival). We found ourselves saying many times on our Celebrity Cruise, "This is as good as RCI used to be!"

You didn't say when you are going. If it is inthe summer, expect a lot more kids and younger crowd.

But, simply because it is more than 7 days, if it is when school is in session, if it is "not caribbean", etc. - then expect an older than 30's crowd.

Coffee, Tea, several juices, & water.

Men wear Dockers & Polo or better to dinner - - I've seen women in capris and were very exceptable.

The entertainment is mostly the same as you see on RCI or Princess.

Hope This Helps.

Hi All,

Will we be able to get a table at dinner for just the two of us? You can request one at booking if you are choosing traditional seating or if you go for select dining, yes you can request that when you check in for dinner. but you might have to wait a few min. Know that most of the two tops are very close to each other 12-18 in. apart. Not really too private.

Do most people wear casual clothing during the day? Shorts, tshirts etc Yes

Is there an alternative menu at dinner if we don't like the selections? Steak, chicken, etc? Yes there is always a steak, chicken, salmon available as well as sides and appetizers.

Will the ship be comprised of mainly an older crowd? Depends when you cruise. And where. And what you consider older. Any cruise, any line, over 7 days not in the summer, generally draws an older crowd. However we found the new ships are drawing new X cruisers and are lowering the mean age.

What beverage selections are offered for free at the buffet? Juices, water coffee, ice tea

How casual is it in the evenings on non-formal night? Smart casual. No shorts in dining rooms. VERY few after dinner. Most men wear docker type pants and a polo or sports shirt. Women in capris, pants, dresses and skirts. Just a nice put together look.

The usual big shows plus singers, maybe a comedian/magician type entertainer, instrumentalists. Around the ship, mostly single performers or maybe a trio in the public bar areas. Entertainment will be lesser than on your other cruises in my opinion. X also is not a late night party atmosphere.

My DH and I prefer Celebrity when we travel together looking for a quieter but service oriented cruise. When traveling with multi-generational family groups, we choose RCL for all the bells and whistles and lively atmosphere for the younger members.

That being said, the new Celebrity ships are gorgeous and have a more upscale (NOT stuffy) atmosphere than the ones you mentioned. Food is great and service is notches above most lines.

We just completed our first Celebrity cruise after 13 on Princess, Carnival and Holland America.

We found Celebrity to be a good step above both Princess and Carnival, and equivalent in some areas to HA....though we still give the edge to Celebrity due to the smoking policy.

Regarding ages on Celebrity...we were on a 10 night European cruise in early May, so there were few children. Based on posts I'd read prior to leaving, I expected the cruise to be 90% 50 and older (we are late 50's), but we were pleasantly surprised to see a much larger group of 40's and below passengers, including a much larger group than expected that appeared to be late 20's to 30's. We danced in Quasar until close to midnight many nights and we found things to be going strong when we were there. That said, it was a port-intensive cruise and most people seemed to be up and out early to meet tours. Who wants to sleep when you're docked at a beautiful Greek island?

It was not a "party" ship by any means...with large, loud groups. Even the lack of annoying daily loud announcements was kept to a minimum, and there was not a lot of noise and slamming doors in the hallways, which was a welcome change. We really enjoyed it!

Hi, my first time on a forum so don't really know what I'm doing yet. Apologies if I'm butting in on conversations. I also have a Celebrity related question: to do with car parking at Southampton - I've sailed with P&O before and you drive up to the embarkation office give your cases to a porter and your car keys to a valet driver and go and enjoy your holiday. From what I can work out with Celebrity you have to park yourself. Any advice on how this works would be great, thanks

Archived