Veendam - Hair Dryer?

Some passengers with long thick hair do not like the hairdryers on HAL. They need more powerful ones. On some ships they are in the desk drawer. There are not too many places to plug them in.

Hi all!

We are leaving on the June 6th trip to Bermuda on the Veendam. Does anyone recall if there are hair dryers provided in the cabins?

Please and thanks!

Sarah

Hi Sarah! We'll be on the ship with you and I'm still tossing back and forth the idea of just bringing my own blow dryer just in case. I hear the ones on the ship are pretty good but I'm just not sure.

Maybe we have been fortunate, but DW has never had a problem with any hair dryer on a Hal ship. Of course, if you have a cabin with a balcony the best hair drying method is to lean over the rail and experience a "natural" hair drying.:D

Maybe we have been fortunate, but DW has never had a problem with any hair dryer on a Hal ship. Of course, if you have a cabin with a balcony the best hair drying method is to lean over the rail and experience a "natural" hair drying.:D

Don't laugh but that's what I do on my sailboat each day. :)

Don't laugh but that's what I do on my sailboat each day. :)

That's what I used to do in our sailing days. Since we sailed in fresh water the method of washing was to hang onto the stern ladder and dunk.:eek:

We will also be on your cruise along with i am canadian.----what part of Canada are you from i am canadian?

There is no meet and greet as it sort of fizzled---only a few people on the roll call.

...and it works;).

It does as long as you're not expecting smooth and straight. LOL

Just noticed you are going on your first cruise. Have a great one!!! Bon Voyage and be aware that it can become an addictive.:D

Oh - I'm already addicted. I just need my hubby to get addicted! He's never wanted to do a cruise but instead would rather be on our own boat. I can't believe he agreed to this cruise and I'm hoping he has such a great time that he says "That wasn't so bad! Maybe we'll do it again when our oldest graduates college in 2 years!" :)

That's what I used to do in our sailing days. Since we sailed in fresh water the method of washing was to hang onto the stern ladder and dunk.:eek:

We will also be on your cruise along with i am canadian.----what part of Canada are you from i am canadian?

There is no meet and greet as it sort of fizzled---only a few people on the roll call.

Oh, I'm jealous of the fresh water sailing! We can go to one harbor that has fresh water and it's AWESOME!! It's up the Connecticut River and it's our favorite place to go with the fresh water, very protected harbor and NO JELLYFISH! :) We do the same washing method as you mention - even in the salt water but we do a fresh water rinse on the transom when we're done. Dr. Bronner's soap is great for that since it's quite biodegradable.

Oh, I'm jealous of the fresh water sailing! We can go to one harbor that has fresh water and it's AWESOME!! It's up the Connecticut River and it's our favorite place to go with the fresh water, very protected harbor and NO JELLYFISH! :) We do the same washing method as you mention - even in the salt water but we do a fresh water rinse on the transom when we're done. Dr. Bronner's soap is great for that since it's quite biodegradable.

We have the most wonderful fresh water sailing area here---the best kept secret on the Eastern Seaboard. The St. John River System is full of lakes, bays, other rivers, backwaters, etc. We used to go for two weeks at a time and still not cover every area we could have.

We are just far enough north that not too many American boats come up, but the Cruising Club of America does make a trip every couple of years. It is possible to go through the Reversing Falls into the river at slack tide which occurs four times in each 24 hours. You have about a 15 to 20 minute window each time.

Check out the river system on google maps.

Set Free and i am canadian-----Since there is no formal meet and greet what do you say to getting together informally in the Crow's Nest at 10AM on the 7th---the sea day. On the port side.

Set Free--since your husband has done ocean racing, my husband would enjoy talking to him. He did the Marblehead--Halifax race in his boat many years ago.

We are leaving in the AM for Bangor to catch our Friday flight. I don't have a data package for my Iphone so unless I see a reply by tomorrow AM I won't know if you have read this. I may have wireless access in Bangor but I don't know. At any rate I will turn up at the appointed time and see if anyone else is there.

Set Free and i am canadian-----Since there is no formal meet and greet what do you say to getting together informally in the Crow's Nest at 10AM on the 7th---the sea day. On the port side.

Set Free--since your husband has done ocean racing, my husband would enjoy talking to him. He did the Marblehead--Halifax race in his boat many years ago.

We are leaving in the AM for Bangor to catch our Friday flight. I don't have a data package for my Iphone so unless I see a reply by tomorrow AM I won't know if you have read this. I may have wireless access in Bangor but I don't know. At any rate I will turn up at the appointed time and see if anyone else is there.

Sounds great to me! I checked with hubby and he's in for it. So 10 AM in the Crow's Nest on the port side. We'll be there! Here's a pic of Bob and I so you have an idea of what we look like:

2006018.jpg

~ Ann

Sounds great to me! I checked with hubby and he's in for it. So 10 AM in the Crow's Nest on the port side. We'll be there! Here's a pic of Bob and I so you have an idea of what we look like:

2006018.jpg

~ Ann

Sounds good-----My profile pix was just taken last summer so I guess it still looks like me. Look forward to seeing you.

I will try to join you for the informal meet & greet in the Crow's Nest. Don't think my hubby will be awake at that hour though.... :-)

Sorry the roll call for this cruise was such a dud.

-Karyn

I will try to join you for the informal meet & greet in the Crow's Nest. Don't think my hubby will be awake at that hour though.... :-)

Sorry the roll call for this cruise was such a dud.

-Karyn

Your hubby must be planning on some late night partying:D

With regard to the roll call I will just take the high road and not comment.;)

Back to the original topic: the Veendam has hair dryers in the desk drawer. They are 220V (so they plug into the 220V European-style outlet at the desk). They are small, but DW and DD didn't have any trouble with it as far as drying power goes. You do have to make sure the plug is firmly seated - when you first plug it in, it may feel like it is, but it won't work. You have to push a little harder to get it seated. We are going in July this year again. This info from our cruise last July.

Sounds good-----My profile pix was just taken last summer so I guess it still looks like me. Look forward to seeing you.

Just to put my 2 cents worth in here....your pic still looks like you:).

Have a drink for me:D. I'm SO jealous. If we're really lucky here won't see any more snow:eek::rolleyes:.

i love this board! thank you all for getting back to me.

we will try to get up to the crow's nest for a meet up! we will be the ones with the 5 year old. she is so excited. this is her second cruise, but the first time she was 13 months.

i think the hairdryer should be fine, i just cut off all my hair! summertime do!

i am from victoria british columbia and have been visiting the docks and the ships that have been arriving for the big cruise ship season.

we will try to get up to the crow's nest for a meet up! we will be the ones with the 5 year old. she is so excited. this is her second cruise, but the first time she was 13 months.

i think the hairdryer should be fine, i just cut off all my hair! summertime do!

i am from victoria british columbia and have been visiting the docks and the ships that have been arriving for the big cruise ship season.

Victoria is such a beautiful city. We were there last month on the Oosterdam when she repositioned from San Diego. Friends met us and drove us all over and took me to places I remembered from the year I lived there as a child.

I have never had a problem with the hair dryer on any of the ships. They work just fine----better than lugging your own as they take up so much space---as much as a pair of shoes and we both know how important that is.:)

Hope to meet you on board.

Well, we're going to have my 7 year old daughter and 9 year old son with us too so maybe your 5 year old and my 7 year old can play!

Archived