Air to Hong Kong

namest

We always book our own air since we have more flexibility and try and go earlier and stay longer. We are planning a cruise in January, 2011 from Hong Kong to Singapore. We are interested in maybe stopping somewhere between US and Hong Kong and on the return stopping somewhere between Singapore and US. Any suggestions?

January in Tokyo is going to be pretty dang cold.

From Cleveland you might look at something counter-intuitive and consider stopping somewhere in southern Europe or the Middle East.

Not knowing your budget, you might look at "Circle Pacific" fares that would permit you to visit Australia and New Zealand in one direction, for example look here: http://www.oneworld.com/ow/air-travel-options/multi-sector-intercontinental-fares/circle-pacific-fare

Or for great value in business class if you were inclined that way, Singapore Airlines has a very well-priced round-the-world fare that would let you stop in various places - http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/local/US/promotions/rtw.jsp

thanks for the help. i will look into these. we have already done tokyo and i agree that isnt the place to be in winter. i have lots of miles on continental and never seem to be able to use them for anything. a real bummer. we traveled last year to new zealand and australia, but did stopovers in LA. we spent a day and night each way and it was so helpful to break things up. we also purchased exit row seats and made the trip more tolerable. i cant spend $5,000 on business class.

thanks for the help. i will look into these. we have already done tokyo and i agree that isnt the place to be in winter. i have lots of miles on continental and never seem to be able to use them for anything. a real bummer. we traveled last year to new zealand and australia, but did stopovers in LA. we spent a day and night each way and it was so helpful to break things up. we also purchased exit row seats and made the trip more tolerable. i cant spend $5,000 on business class.

I don't know why you can't use your CO miles. Have you tried to use them on another Star Alliance carrier?

• 4 weeks later...

Continental told me that there were no upgrades available to use miles. IF there was availability it would cost 100,000 p.p. to upgrade AND $400 p.p. each way. I find this to be ridiculous. Seems I can never use these miles.

Continental told me that there were no upgrades available to use miles. IF there was availability it would cost 100,000 p.p. to upgrade AND $400 p.p. each way. I find this to be ridiculous. Seems I can never use these miles.

Your original post did not state you were trying to use miles to upgrade; I assumed you merely wanted to find award tickets.

I've always been able to use up my miles and find award tickets, but it can take some work; especially looking for business class seats.

This is a very long flight to spend in coach on CO. I would be dreading it.

Seems I can never use these miles.
The best way of using miles is to look to see where and when there is availability, and then travel on those dates to those destinations.

If you pick your destinations and dates first, and then try to use miles, it's often a forlorn hope. The best part of 1½ million miles in my accounts proves that.

Archived