Just back from Independence of the Seas

We are just back from our 3 day trip on Independence of the Seas from Southampton to Le Havre. We did a video of our trip and you can see the highlights by going to the link below.

http://howarthfamily.smugmug.com/Other/Independence-of-the-Seas/12450438_BftuL#891621542_KKF4s-L-LB

I am happy to answer any questions you have on the food and drink, entertainment, cabin, sports facilities etc so feel free to ask.

We are just back from our 3 day trip on Independence of the Seas from Southampton to Le Havre. We did a video of our trip and you can see the highlights by going to the link below.

http://howarthfamily.smugmug.com/Other/Independence-of-the-Seas/12450438_BftuL#891621542_KKF4s-L-LB

I am happy to answer any questions you have on the food and drink, entertainment, cabin, sports facilities etc so feel free to ask.

The best video I have seen. Well done, we will be going on the indy next May 14 nts Italian Med. I noticed you were on deck six did you have a problem with the elevators being busy?

How close to your cabin was the elevators I am thinking about noise? as we are on the end hump.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sandian

Great video - do you mind if I post a link on another site as I am sure others would like to see? I would name the site but I know I can't mention other cruise forums sites on here!

The best video I have seen. Well done, we will be going on the indy next May 14 nts Italian Med. I noticed you were on deck six did you have a problem with the elevators being busy?

How close to your cabin was the elevators I am thinking about noise? as we are on the end hump.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sandian

There was no noise problem at all. We were between the lifts and it was too far in either direction. The corridors are big enough to walk down even if there is a trolley of towels etc on the side and several people left wheelchairs in the corridor without a problem.

The lifts were not too busy considering the ship was full. Sometimes you call the lift and it just goes flying past! The a lots though so it really wasn't a problem. Deck 6 was an excellent location as we were so close to the dining room and promenade we didn't necessarily use it all the time.

They have the day on the floor of the lift (changed daily) if you get confused.

ccclark12 yes fell free to put a link to the video. Glad you enjoyed it.

Nice video of your cruise. Looks like you all had a blast.:)

Brings back memories of our 22 nights we spent on Independence this past winter. We love that ship and it's crew. :D

Was Alfina your stateroom attendant ? I ask because we stayed in a cabin close to the cabin you had and she was our attendant. She was one of the best we ever had and miss her.

Nice video of your cruise. Looks like you all had a blast.:)

Brings back memories of our 22 nights we spent on Independence this past winter. We love that ship and it's crew. :D

Was Alfina your stateroom attendant ? I ask because we stayed in a cabin close to the cabin you had and she was our attendant. She was one of the best we ever had and miss her.

No we didn't have Alfina but a lady called Carlena who kept quite a low profile.

Hi Jo. Our family's cruising on IOTS at the end of July so I expect the ship will be very busy! This is our first cruise with RCI so I have a few questions which you or some other kind IOTS cruiser may be able to answer. Any tips advice are welcome too so here goes:

I'm wondering what is anything I should arrange before we cruise. My YD would love to try the Flow Rider and I understand that this can be booked in advance? Also is there any advantage to buying the soda and wine packages before we board?

I understand that a 15% service charge is applied to all ordered drinks - does anyone know if this is applied to the wine packages also?

We enjoy a glass of wine with dinner which is why I'm considering the wine package. I read elsewhere that wine packages were 25% cheaper when purchased pre cruise. And also that wine purchased in the dining room was more expensive that elsewhere in the ship. Can anyone confirm this?

Is there coffee in the cabin or just tea?

I see from the RCI website that 8 bottles of water are £22.27 but it doesn't indicate what size the bottles are. This seems rather expensive. I assume if I want to I can get water from one of the stations and use that in the cabin?

What was the cabin hairdryer like - should we bring our own?

What is the cost for a bag of laundry?

BTW - Fantastic picture quality on your video Jo. The kids are charming:)

Thanks

Hi Jo. Our family's cruising on IOTS at the end of July so I expect the ship will be very busy! This is our first cruise with RCI so I have a few questions which you or some other kind IOTS cruiser may be able to answer. Any tips advice are welcome too so here goes:

I'm wondering what is anything I should arrange before we cruise. My YD would love to try the Flow Rider and I understand that this can be booked in advance? Flowrider is free but you can book and pay for lessons if you want. Also is there any advantage to buying the soda and wine packages before we board?

I understand that a 15% service charge is applied to all ordered drinks - does anyone know if this is applied to the wine packages also? Yes

We enjoy a glass of wine with dinner which is why I'm considering the wine package. I read elsewhere that wine packages were 25% cheaper when purchased pre cruise. And also that wine purchased in the dining room was more expensive that elsewhere in the ship. Can anyone confirm this? I don't know

Is there coffee in the cabin or just tea? Tea but you can bring your own instant or order room service (free)

I see from the RCI website that 8 bottles of water are £22.27 but it doesn't indicate what size the bottles are. This seems rather expensive. I assume if I want to I can get water from one of the stations and use that in the cabin? I wouldn't buy the water package. Iced water is free from all bars and in the restaurants.

What was the cabin hairdryer like - should we bring our own? Absolutely fine

What is the cost for a bag of laundry? They do a special mid cruise but I don't know how much.

Thanks

Thanks

Hi Jo

We are sailing mid- August & you have answered some of my questions via Golfgals post, have a couple more if I may. First though Golfgal someone did advise me the size of the bottles of water are 750 mls sports caps....so yes a real rip off!:eek:

1. Do you know if there are any ironing facilities on board?
  2. Do security stop you bringing your own drinks (non alcoholic) back on board from the ports.
  3. What adaptors are needed in the cabins (we are UK)
  4. Did you have room service and was it OK?
  5. Are the cabins air conditioned?

Thanks very much!

Andrea:)

I'm wondering what is anything I should arrange before we cruise. My YD would love to try the Flow Rider and I understand that this can be booked in advance? Also is there any advantage to buying the soda and wine packages before we board?

I understand that a 15% service charge is applied to all ordered drinks - does anyone know if this is applied to the wine packages also?

We enjoy a glass of wine with dinner which is why I'm considering the wine package. I read elsewhere that wine packages were 25% cheaper when purchased pre cruise. And also that wine purchased in the dining room was more expensive that elsewhere in the ship. Can anyone confirm this?

Is there coffee in the cabin or just tea?

I see from the RCI website that 8 bottles of water are £22.27 but it doesn't indicate what size the bottles are. This seems rather expensive. I assume if I want to I can get water from one of the stations and use that in the cabin?

What was the cabin hairdryer like - should we bring our own?

What is the cost for a bag of laundry?

Thanks

Golfgal - fyi I've been advised the water package bottles are 750 mls sports cap so yes they are a rip off...just cancelled our order on that one!:eek:

Thanks for that Frogsgirl :eek: I've bought the kids the unlimited soda packages but will not be bothering with the water or wine packages. I've read that there's no longer any benefit in pre-purchasing the wine packages - pity :(.

Still, that won't dampen my growing excitment!!!! 7 weeks and counting lol

Answers below:

I'm wondering what is anything I should arrange before we cruise. My YD would love to try the Flow Rider and I understand that this can be booked in advance? Also is there any advantage to buying the soda and wine packages before we board? No you cannot book the Flowrider before you go - you book on board. Soda and wine packages are the same price on board, but in US$ so you play the currency game.

I understand that a 15% service charge is applied to all ordered drinks - does anyone know if this is applied to the wine packages also? 15% service charge is transparent you will not see it as a separate line on the bill

We enjoy a glass of wine with dinner which is why I'm considering the wine package. I read elsewhere that wine packages were 25% cheaper when purchased pre cruise. And also that wine purchased in the dining room was more expensive that elsewhere in the ship. Can anyone confirm this? Same wine menu and same prices throughout the ship. More expansive/expensive wine list in the speciality restaurants

Is there coffee in the cabin or just tea? Just tea

I see from the RCI website that 8 bottles of water are £22.27 but it doesn't indicate what size the bottles are. This seems rather expensive. I assume if I want to I can get water from one of the stations and use that in the cabin? Tap water is totally drinkable - it is the Evian 750ml sports cap in the package. Delivered to your cabin so not cold.

What was the cabin hairdryer like - should we bring our own? Works fine for me

What is the cost for a bag of laundry? $25 for all you can fit in a bag offered once during your cruise

Thanks

1. Do you know if there are any ironing facilities on board? No you send items out to be pressed.Bringing on an iron strictly forbidden.
  2. Do security stop you bringing your own drinks (non alcoholic) back on board from the ports. In theory no drinks allowed to be bought on board, depends how they are enforcing it
  3. What adaptors are needed in the cabins (we are UK) Both USA and European plugs in the room so you need adaptors for both
  4. Did you have room service and was it OK? Errr they deliver food /drink when you want. What else can you say
  5. Are the cabins air conditioned? Yes.

Hi Jo

We are sailing mid- August & you have answered some of my questions via Golfgals post, have a couple more if I may. First though Golfgal someone did advise me the size of the bottles of water are 750 mls sports caps....so yes a real rip off!:eek:

1. Do you know if there are any ironing facilities on board? No I don't think so and you are not allowed to bring irons on board.
  2. Do security stop you bringing your own drinks (non alcoholic) back on board from the ports. We brought soft drinks on at the embarkation port and then took that on and off the ship. We didn't try and bring on a load more so I don't know whether it would be a problem. The people in front us were stopped by security for having a kitchen knife.
  3. What adaptors are needed in the cabins (we are UK) You need a US adaptor, we managed with one (kettle and hairdryer were provided already)
  4. Did you have room service and was it OK? We had to wait 45 mins twice which was a shock having had a immediate service on Princess.
  5. Are the cabins air conditioned? Yes, and you can adjust it but it only works with the balcony doors closed. I have read that you can trick the air conditioning by putting a magnet on the door!

Thanks very much!

Andrea:)

Happy cruising

Loved your video. Your children are so charming. My favorite line, was "here are the lobsters, why are they not moving, oh, maybe they've fallen asleep"...and then you just kept moving on, no time for any more lobster questions. Priceless! I loved it!

Archived