Is Carnival fixing "the smell" problem on the Dream?

gslargent

We were on the Dream's May 22nd sailing, and we also experienced the "smell" on the Lido deck and around the cabins in the 8200 area of numbers. Our cabin was 8434 and never smelled it in that area. My biggest concern on this cruise was the slippery floors in The Gathering buffet area, it was very, very bad. All I can say to future cruisers on the Dream walk with CAUTION!

Sailed on the Dream May 29th and no smell noticed anywhere. Stayed on Deck 8.

About the slippery floor in the Gathering, I did see one person slip and fall so that part is very true.

I've heard they have a possible solution...those on the starboard side will be allowed to use the toilets only when the wind is blowing from the port side and vice versa. Those on inside cabins, cannot use the toilets until they arrive to a port.

So, leave the prunes at home and eat less!

• 2 years later...
That was me.

We got off the Dream on May 22nd. While on board, I had the opportunity to talk with two senior officers at a meet and greet about the smell.

The smell is real, and is not the fleeting odor you often come across on cruise ships. The Dream was designed with grey water holding tanks in the bow of the ship. The tanks vent through the forward mast. In certain wind conditions, the sewage gases being vented tend to flow down across the Serenity deck and Waterworks area. They are also picked up and recirculated by an air conditioning intake in the forward part of the ship, which distributes the odor to certain interior areas of the ship as well.

The engineers have determined that the correct way to solve the problem will be to re-route the vent so that it will exit through the main funnel. Obviously, this requires running new vent pipes for several hundred feet. I was told that they would be beginning the retrofit in the first week of June. Someone reported that they saw long pipes being loaded onto the ship the week after we sailed, so I think that's additional indication that the work is underway.

During my week on board, the smell was strong and present for 5 out of the 7 days, mainly in the area of the water slides and splash zone. It was also very evident in the starboard side spa cabins on deck 12.

Again, this isn't the typical odor you nearly always run into from time to time on cruise ships, and is highly dependent on the wind conditions. The problem should be being fixed as we speak, so odds are very good that it will be corrected shortly.

Hello all,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this was the best description I could find... so I have less than 24 hrs now to decide whether to sail on the Dream or not. Has anyone reported the famous "New Shi[p] Smell" on the Dream in recent sailings?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!!

snb

Archived