I am less than pleased with Royal Caribbean customer service

So, I am booked for a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas on the 20th of June and have the California resident rate. In the meantime, I have lost my ID card and ordered a new one from DMV. When I called customer service to let them know I may not have the replacement ID card by the cruise time, they told me I was no longer eligible for the resident rate and would have to pay an additional $600 on embarkation day. WHAT???!?!!?!? I have the receipt from DMV saying I ordered a new ID card. I just cannot believe this!! This is terrible customer service.

when I get a resident rate, it says on my cruise documents that I have to prove I'm a resident of that state. No if ands or buts about it...you have to prove upon arrival that you're a resident of California. Anything will do, not just a drivers license..do you have a voters registration card? Take a copy of a utility bill. The customer service rep is just following rules...and you have to follow them too.

So, I am booked for a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas on the 20th of June and have the California resident rate. In the meantime, I have lost my ID card and ordered a new one from DMV. When I called customer service to let them know I may not have the replacement ID card by the cruise time, they told me I was no longer eligible for the resident rate and would have to pay an additional $600 on embarkation day. WHAT???!?!!?!? I have the receipt from DMV saying I ordered a new ID card. I just cannot believe this!! This is terrible customer service.

If you have no State photo ID, are you using a passport for travel, if not you wont be allowed to board anyway and will loose the entire cost of the cruise

I think the RCI rep was trying to tell you you should have a state issued id when checking in for the resident rate, and should you not then you will be charged the going fare. I would imagine that the receipt from the DMV, as long s it shows your name and address, along with your passport would suffice. Having said that, I have sailed on resident fares and never been asked to prove residence

I don't think this was terrible customer service, just a customer service rep advising you of the conditions of your booking and the results if you do not or cannot comply with those conditions

I would think a car insurance policy, voters card, utility bill or similar along with your Passport would suffice.

I could be wrong and please dont take this as the gospel though lol.

That sucks..........Hopefully they will take other means of proof.

I sailed on a resident rate on my Monarch cruise and was never even asked to show proof. I just gave them my passport.

when I get a resident rate, it says on my cruise documents that I have to prove I'm a resident of that state. No if ands or buts about it...you have to prove upon arrival that you're a resident of California. Anything will do, not just a drivers license..do you have a voters registration card? Take a copy of a utility bill. The customer service rep is just following rules...and you have to follow them too.

Interesting point wolf. If this person has sailed before with RCCL, and has joined the C&A Club, RCCL would have on file the residents address, which should be enough proof. We always present only our passports, and have never been asked at the pier to see any residency ID.

So, something is strange here. To the OP.......have you cruised with RCCL before??

Rick

I would imagine that the receipt from the DMV, as long s it shows your name and address, along with your passport would suffice. Having said that, I have sailed on resident fares and never been asked to prove residence

You did prove it...when you presented your passport at check in. So the check in agent didn't have to ask for proof of residency as she saw your address.

this is true but they do have the state and country on them, its on the same line indicating the sex of the passport holder

That is your place of birth :) Which for a lot of people would not be the same as their current state of residence.

this is true but they do have the state and country on them, its on the same line indicating the sex of the passport holder

It lists place of birth. Mine and DW's both say Ohio, but we have lived in FL for 13 years.

Interesting point wolf. If this person has sailed before with RCCL, and has joined the C&A Club, RCCL would have on file the residents address, which should be enough proof. We always present only our passports, and have never been asked at the pier to see any residency ID.

So, something is strange here. To the OP.......have you cruised with RCCL before??

Rick

Rick when I got cruise docs from my TA, there has been a big red sticker saying I got a restricted fare (residency) and that I'd have to provide proof of residency upon arriving at the port. I will try and scan it and post it here.

That is the place of birth, not the current residence. Passport won't help with residency. Having said that, I have sailed on a residency discount too and never had my license checked.

Passports only show your state of birth not your current state of residence. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

This is where a passport would be worth the $$.

well I think its probably a given that the OP has a Passport because if they dont have a state issued DL or ID and birth certificate or Passport, they arent sailing and a residency rate is trivial and the least of the OPs worries at this point :confused:

From Royal Caribbean's website:

What are Exclusive Rates?

Residents of particular states, guests over a certain age and members of the U.S. Military or Canadian Forces may be eligible for Exclusive Rates. We want to make sure you receive the best price offer possible. A valid driver's license or state-issued ID will be required for validation at the pier.

If you get anyone at customer service to tell you they will make an exception make sure you get it in writing!

Perhaps I'm sheltered in my little island bubble down here, but how the heck long does it take to get a replacement ID in CA? Here, it only depends on how long the line is at the DMV. :confused:

Perhaps I'm sheltered in my little island bubble down here, but how the heck long does it take to get a replacement ID in CA? Here, it only depends on how long the line is at the DMV. :confused:

A lot of states are mailing them now........Here in Georgia it takes about 30 days to get the card in the mail. In the meantime, here they give us a exact copy of our license or ID (pic included) on a piece of watermarked paper until the card comes in.

That is to be used as proof until the official one comes in.

Perhaps I'm sheltered in my little island bubble down here, but how the heck long does it take to get a replacement ID in CA? Here, it only depends on how long the line is at the DMV.

Up to 60 days according to CA DMV site

Up to 60 days according to CA DMV site

WOW...CA sucks...LOL. ;)

And yes, to the OP, RCI has been known to request the full amount at the terminal. They can and do ask for proof of residency. And can deny you boarding if you don't provide the ID or pay up the difference.

Sorry -- it's not "customer service" its the way the rules are set up. If not, then anyone could say "I lost my drivers license but I am really from"...{insert name of state discount here"

Archived