Carnival cancels reservation

seadays4me

Went to the Carnival web site over the weekend to make updates to my reservation, only to see the notice "You have cancelled your reservation" news to me. Called Carnival and all they would say was call your TA. If you booked through us directly we would help you. TA (Web Based) finally got back to me today and said Carnival has cancelled all confirmed bookings for that cruise. Carnival will return my deposit in 5 to 10 days. Thats It! I know that Trump chartered this cruise (Legend 9/26/2005) but that was over a month ago and I am just finding out now.

I understand its in the contract about cancelletions, but I booked this far in advance to get a good price and cabin. I would have switched to the week before or week after, but now the prices have gone up about $500 from what I payed and the desireable cabins are gone. No credits, no offer to change the reservation. I wonder if I booked directly through Carnival instead of a TA if things would of been different. To make things worse, in order to save some cash, I got travel insurance through insuremytrip.com. Lets see what will happen with that.

I am not happy with Carnival, they are making more money on the Charter, but are not even trying to make the guests that they dumped happy.

Went to the Carnival web site over the weekend to make updates to my reservation, only to see the notice "You have cancelled your reservation" news to me. Called Carnival and all they would say was call your TA. If you booked through us directly we would help you. TA (Web Based) finally got back to me today and said Carnival has cancelled all confirmed bookings for that cruise. Carnival will return my deposit in 5 to 10 days. Thats It! I know that Trump chartered this cruise (Legend 9/26/2005) but that was over a month ago and I am just finding out now.

I understand its in the contract about cancelletions, but I booked this far in advance to get a good price and cabin. I would have switched to the week before or week after, but now the prices have gone up about $500 from what I payed and the desireable cabins are gone. No credits, no offer to change the reservation. I wonder if I booked directly through Carnival instead of a TA if things would of been different. To make things worse, in order to save some cash, I got travel insurance through insuremytrip.com. Lets see what will happen with that.

I am not happy with Carnival, they are making more money on the Charter, but are not even trying to make the guests that they dumped happy.

Well maybe you lucked out and your insurance will pick up the check (if Carnival won't) for the difference on the new cruise you book. I would imagine if you call Carnival directly and tell them the story, they might transfer your reservation for you. I'd call them directly to see what they can do....as long as you're willing to book the same type of cabin around the same time sailing...I can't see why you should have to pay anything more.

GOOD LUCK!

The news about that charter has been going around on this site for several months... you really should be VERY ticked at your TA! Had you not called, when would they have bothered to tell you this? Carnival and TA's have been informing passengers of this for a long time... With 11 months of notice, I don't think they owe anyone anything, as booking far out, you take the chances that something like this COULD happen... but I would be highly upset with the TA, they should have told you over a month ago...

FYI, call around to some TA's and get pricing... had your TA bothered to tell you this prior to the new pricing policy, it would make it much easier on you...

The news about that charter has been going around on this site for several months... you really should be VERY ticked at your TA! Had you not called, when would they have bothered to tell you this? Carnival and TA's have been informing passengers of this for a long time... With 11 months of notice, I don't think they owe anyone anything, as booking far out, you take the chances that something like this COULD happen... but I would be highly upset with the TA, they should have told you over a month ago...

FYI, call around to some TA's and get pricing... had your TA bothered to tell you this prior to the new pricing policy, it would make it much easier on you...

TA and I did know about the charter for the past month. Carnival did not cancel all reservations at that time. This week they did! Mine included.

TA and I did know about the charter for the past month. Carnival did not cancel all reservations at that time. This week they did! Mine included.

Unless you are part of the Charter wouldn't your TA have had the forsight to know it would eventually be cancelled? Maybe a new TA is in order not a new cruise line.

I would have to agree... there were posts here over the past several months where others' had their cabins cancelled.... I find it unlikely that the TA did not know... many TA's will try to put the blame on Carnival, but this has been old news for a long time....

So sorry this happend to you, but I have never heard of a partial charter of a ship.:confused: Large groups can get special perks, but when the word charter is used that means the entire vessel. Unless I misunderstanding what chartering a ship meant.

Your TA should have warned you this would happen. Some web-based TA only provide a lower price, not customers service. Expedia was is handling all the booking for this cruise. With all the press it got, Im sure they were selling cabins left and right.

However,

I am ticked at the travel agent, for making me do all of the leg work. I used an internet TA because of the generous discount I get off a cruise using their VISA. It works well if there are no problems, and becomes a major headache if there is one. I will use them once more since I have a $1000 credit due to me, but after that I will get rid of the card and go back to my local TA. May cost me more but no headaches. At least for me.

Charter generally means "charter" (which is the complete and exclusive use of)... the event management can be full or partial... but if you charter a ship, you are getting the "complete and exclusive" use of the ship. You can book as a large group, and represent 80% of passengers, but that is not a charter... A partial charter really isn't a "charter" is it? If they were to do a partial charter, how does it affect others on the cruise? I'm just curious....

In doing some research, there are companies that offer what they call "partial charters", which basically means a large group on a ship and sometimes they will close off public areas for them (group booking is the term I would use, LOL)...

In doing some research, there are companies that offer what they call "partial charters", which basically means a large group on a ship and sometimes they will close off public areas for them (group booking is the term I would use, LOL)...

Yeah, that makes the company feel important. :D They re-named the group booking dept the "partial charter" dept.

Charter generally means "charter" (which is the complete and exclusive use of)... the event management can be full or partial... but if you charter a ship, you are getting the "complete and exclusive" use of the ship. You can book as a large group, and represent 80% of passengers, but that is not a charter... A partial charter really isn't a "charter" is it? If they were to do a partial charter, how does it affect others on the cruise? I'm just curious....

Partial charters are quite common. The differences between a partial charter and a large group do matter to the cruise line and the agency but not so much to the traveler.

The most signifigant difference is the contract. With a normal group contract the cruise line has the right to withdraw unsold space at any time, the per person fare is set by the cruise line, and a commission is earned at a set percentage on each booking.

Under a charter contract (full or partial) the alloted cabins are the property of the agency/organization chartering the space and cannot be withdrawn, Pricing is not on a per person or per cabin rate but instead as one total figure for all cabins combined, and the agency does not earn a commission from the cruise line but instead slaps on a mark-up on the whole amount due.

Also, normal groups will usually apply toward an agency's production figures for figuring up their commission overrides and/or co-op marketing allowance. Charters, in most cases, are "off the books" when it comes to meeting normal production goals.

Thank you for explaining! Makes total sense, and make sense as to why we would just consider those "group" bookings.... in this case, I'm thinking The Trumpster would never have even thought about a partial charter, LOL!

Thanks Cruiseco!

Partial charters are quite common. The differences between a partial charter and a large group do matter to the cruise line and the agency but not so much to the traveler.

The most signifigant difference is the contract. With a normal group contract the cruise line has the right to withdraw unsold space at any time, the per person fare is set by the cruise line, and a commission is earned at a set percentage on each booking.

Under a charter contract (full or partial) the alloted cabins are the property of the agency/organization chartering the space and cannot be withdrawn, Pricing is not on a per person or per cabin rate but instead as one total figure for all cabins combined, and the agency does not earn a commission from the cruise line but instead slaps on a mark-up on the whole amount due.

Also, normal groups will usually apply toward an agency's production figures for figuring up their commission overrides and/or co-op marketing allowance. Charters, in most cases, are "off the books" when it comes to meeting normal production goals.

Make sense!! Learn something new everyday.:) What kind of down payment is needed to charter a ship? Conquest or Spirit class size? Would you know?

We have been in the process for the last 2 years on doing a charter for one of my affiliations... From what I understand (coming from the group that handles these invitationals), is that a letter of credit is required and it is somewhere around $200K per day. I'm sure that varies depending on the size of ship, number of people, length, etc... but I can tell ya, it's not cheap! LOL!

Archived