What NOT to do - tips for first-timers!

cpygrl

As a first-time cruiser, I'm terribly afraid that I will be one of THOSE people - someone who does something completely horrid out of pure ignorance of cruise protocol. So experienced cruisers, please share your tips for what NOT to do on a cruise, such as chair-hogging, etc. Thanks!

What NOT to do on a cruise ...... worry too much about what other people are thinking; look for problems; try to do and see everything; feel as if you are expected to behave in a certain manner.

If you are a normal, pleasant person - then just behave as you would anywhere else and you will have a lovely holiday. :)

What NOT to do on a cruise ...... worry too much about what other people are thinking; look for problems; try to do and see everything; feel as if you are expected to behave in a certain manner.

If you are a normal, pleasant person - then just behave as you would anywhere else and you will have a lovely holiday. :)

Pleasant, yes. Normal, that's debatable ;)

Like you said: Don't be a chair hog--30 minutes total. Go to the bathroom, run to the burger bar, but don't be gone longer than that. Don't save chairs for the whole family.

Don't try to do everything! You will only get a headache and exhaust yourself. There are a lot of different things to do for a reason. Nothing can please or entertain 3000 people at once. Pace yourself.

Don't try to eat everything! Eat in the Main Dining Room (MDR) often and enjoy being pampered. Eat in the steak house if you want more pampering. Eat in the Lido when you feel like you must remain casual, but don't feel that because it's there you must have it.

On the other hand, try new things: especially food. On the Lido buffet, you can always take a tiny portion and see if you like it. In the MDR, they are accustomed to bringing several starters or entrees to share or see if you like.

Ask questions: Ask a lot of them on here and ask more on ship. Your steward, your headwaiter, your waiter assistant, guest services, anyone who works on the ship will answer your questions.

Learn as much as you can about the ship early on and see it all. Enjoy the ocean. Watch it go by. Relax. Remember it's your vacation and try not to stress over little things.

Don't think that you have to pack specially for a cruise...pack as for any vacation...that's what a cruise is....a vacation. There's no "right" or "wrong" way to do it.

Do get your cruise brochure and learn about your cruiseline and ship!

Do get a guidebook for your ports...it can save you alot of money, if you do a bit of research...you won't be at the mercy of the tour guides and their exhorbinant prices!

Do bring binoculars...there's alot to see out there!

its a pretty traditional one, but be sure to pack enough clothing...you will often find yourself changing multiple times in a day...getting up in the am, after a day in port and then again for dinner...

Actually, I will contradict that one. I think most first timers pack too much. It does depend on your style and personality, but you will hear a lot on the more cruise line specific boards "lay out everything you want to bring, then take out half." Some people absolutely have to have different shoes with each outfit, or cannot fathom wearing the same skirt twice, even though it was for only 2 hours one evening.

I have found that for a 7 day cruise, I will bring 2 pairs of dress pants, 3 nice shirts, 4 t-shirts, 2 tank tops, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sandals, 2 swin trunks, 1 pr jean shorts, and maybe a sweatshirt. You can even go less, figuring if you buy souvenier clothes or a nice dress or 2 in port.

Sometime, I want to do a 7 day bringing on only my carryon of money and very basic essentials, and just buying the rest as I need it in port.

I would say, in addition to what the others have said, do not wear shoes that are of a ridiculous nature for any reason. I see far too many first timers in huge heels falling all over the place because they failed to realize they would be on a moving ship. Comfortable (but nice) shoes, even on formal nights, makes the experience so much more fun.

Don't worry, everyone wants you to have a good time so don't hesitate to ask if you have a question.

If you are travelling with children, and they are misbehaving, please remove them from public areas. If you need to reprimand your child, please do it privately. It is less humiliating for the child, and less embarassing for the onlookers.

If you are with a group of people, with close-by cabins, please do not leave your doors open and shout at each other across and down the hall.

Say "please" and "thank you" whenever you are interacting with your stewards. Paying your fare doesn't give you the right to treat these hardworking people like servants or worse.

Don't forget to try something new at dinner. Don't forget to say "good morning" to the cruise staff when they speak to you. Don't forget that the ships paper is a guide, not an itinerary. You don't have to do everything. Don't forget to go "WOW, this ship is big :D" Don't forget to catch a sunrise at sea. Don't forget to drink plenty of water during the day...its gonna be hot out there. And last but not least, don't forget to tell you family "Thanks for coming with me.":)

As a first-time cruiser, I'm terribly afraid that I will be one of THOSE people - someone who does something completely horrid out of pure ignorance of cruise protocol. So experienced cruisers, please share your tips for what NOT to do on a cruise, such as chair-hogging, etc. Thanks!

As long as you avoid the "chair hog" thing, I think you have it nailed...:D

- "You can sleep when you get home!" (CD Ricky Matthews opening speech)

- Do not set your $12.00 pineapple full of booze down near any moving objects (especially children) and this is from personal experience.

- The cooking demonstrations end with tasting demonstrations.

- Take less clothes and more money.

- See shows. If you don't like them, leave.

- You can't eat it all on the ship. But you can taste it all.

As a first time cruiser you job is to relax and enjoy. Make sensible decisions like arriving in time to make your cruise and pay attention to ship departure times. Most of the rest of it is common sense and courtesy - you have gotten good advice so far. IMO most folks (including myself the first few cruises) haul along way too much stuff. If you feel the need to change clothes multiple times a day, plan to wear those clothes again. No one will notice. In warm weather you may find you wear just a single bathing suit and coverup all day. The same goes for shoes - no real need for more than walking shoes, beach shoes, and one pair of dress shoes (basic black goes a long way). Again no one will notice your fashion statements.

What not to do, well here are my thoughts on what you should do:

1. Adhere to when the boat leaves port. It will leave you behind.

2. Pack light as you may not have room for your luggage

3. Bring extension cords and hair dryer

4. Don't forget sun screen

5. Get your passport!!!

6. Watch your onboard account. We've seen folks with HUGE bills on the last day.

7. Eat early dinner. We always prefer the early seating. More evening time.

8. Remember room service is FREE.

9. Watch what you eat and drink in port.. especially in Mexico.

10. Buy travel insurance for your trip!!

Resource Site:

Smart<hypen>Travelers.com

My list of don'ts:

1. Don't go in the smoking areas unless you have to.

2. Don't sleep in late no matter where you are going.

3. If you eat spicy food, don't just drink water with it.

4. Don't forget to take lots of pictures of everything.

5. Don't get drunk the night before docking at a port.

6. Don't expect too much, or your trip will be ruined.

7. Don't sleep in late and miss a lot of good places.

8. Don't be lazy until bedtime any day of the cruise.

9. Don't waste port time looking for places or taxis.

10. Don't forget your driver's liscense and passport!

When I say don't look for anything, I mean know where everything is and how to get the quickest form of transportation and exchange currency onboard or in the United States. By being fully prepared before you travel,, you can avoid wasting time searching for any place, car, or thing you need while in port and therefore maximize your time having fun. If you do any of this, you will miss out on a lot, sacrifice your health, and not have a lot of fun every day of your cruise. Your driver's liscense may be requested for drinking and some purchases or attractions in ports if they are anything like the United States.

Wow - thanks ya'll! The main thing I'm trying NOT to do is overplan. I'm bad for that. I want to be prepared, but there's definitely such a thing as overpreparing. And overpacking :)

I want to clarify something though - the waiters are NOT included in tips? I thought I read somewhere that they were ...

Here's what it says in Carnival's FAQs: For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

I think the above mentioned comment about the waiters not being included in the tip was in reference to the room service waiter. Your waiters in all dining areas should be included in your auto tips but the person that brings you your free room service is not included on any auto tips. We usually tip them about $3.00.

Great advice from everyone!!:D

Which brings me to my Number One "DON'T"-- DON'T fail to fully use cruisecritic for your pre-cruise research! You are already here, reading and asking questions, which is a good start. If you haven't done so already, find your cruise in the Roll-Call threads, and see what's up over there. While you're there, see if your cruise has a "meet-n-mingle" type onboard party that you can sign up for. Also, look your ship's ports up on the "ports of call" thread -- you'll find LOTS of good advice there about tours, etc. Wish I had found these boards before my first cruise!

Have a great first cruise -- but don't forget to come back and tell us all about it --and maybe post a review. :p

Archived