What NOT to do - tips for first-timers!

cpygrl

I made the mistake of buying a lot of new items before we went on our first cruise. I spent a lot of our cruise spending money before hand. I wished I hadn't and would have been able to spend more on ship and on the islands.

First go to Youtube to watch videos of people running like mad to catch the ship as it leaves port. Very funny.

According to the fashionistas, do not , under any circumstances, wear white athletic shoes or fanny paks. You'll look like a dork! Pardon me while I polish up my white athletic shoes for the next cruise!! :D

And if you know that you are not going to be eating at your MDR dinner table [eg going to specialty dining, staying late ashore, etc.] let tablemates and waiter know.

Thom

An excellent point.

And you usually know when you are not going to make dinner, so it is easy enough to tell eveyone that "tomorrow night we will miss dinner because we are doing a tour / dinner on the island".

At the same time, you can also find out if someone else at your table will not be at dinner on a specific date.

The passageway in front of your room is not a meeting plase. Keep your conversations in your room. Controll your children "AT ALL TIMES". Decide where you are going befor you get on an elevator. The buffet line is a "line" I don't care if your only want the omelet stand in the friggin line like everyone else.

If you are travelling with children, and they are misbehaving, please remove them from public areas. If you need to reprimand your child, please do it privately. It is less humiliating for the child, and less embarassing for the onlookers.

If you are with a group of people, with close-by cabins, please do not leave your doors open and shout at each other across and down the hall.

Say "please" and "thank you" whenever you are interacting with your stewards. Paying your fare doesn't give you the right to treat these hardworking people like servants or worse.

• 1 month later...
After going on my first cruise, I have to add - don't have LOUD parties in your room. Go to the dance club or something. We had a group of girls who sounded like they were fairly lit up in the room next door ... on the last couple of nights they got extremely loud and obnoxious. Luckily we were getting ready to go wander around the ship anyway, so it was a temporary annoyance for us. I feel sorry for the people in other surrounding rooms trying to sleep though.

[quote name='$npocket']i would like to know why you have to tip the bartenders if you are already being charged a 15% gratuity on the drink straight onto your s&s card..... that's double tipping

also the mandatory tipping on your s&s card says it gives $3 to your stateroom attendant.... so tipping him/her again would be double tipping... :confused:

don't get me wrong.... i will tip someone that deserves it,[COLOR=red] but i just think the cruise lines are milking us.... [/COLOR]if we are being charged the $10 a day tip upfront (which i agree is not much) and then 15% on all drinks.....come on, who tips a bartender/waitress at a bar 15% EVERY drink?? if a drink is $4.75 you give a .25.... if it's $4.50 you might give the .50
then there's the occasionally tab of even dollars where you'd slip a dollar or two

but i honestly don't like being forced to tip a specific amount. i will tip what if feel is appropriate. if i get good service, then i will tip good. if someone goes out of there way for me and does something extraordinary (like cleaning up a drink i spilled) then yeah, i'll tip extra. but i don't like the whole automatic 15% tip added to my charge on the s&s card -- and then expected another tip on top of that

JMO[/quote]

[COLOR=red]I have to politely disagree with this comment. If a person wants to tip extra it is up to them, the cruise line is not "milking" you to tip in this scenario. Unfortunately, some people either don't notice there is already a tip included, or think that just the fact there is a line (for your convenience) for an extra tip means that they are expecting more. Most cruise lines will take off auto tips if you approach the desk with a complaint, I feel badly for the workers in that case. I don't think you can have the 15% gratuity removed from beverage service, but I also think it is an ample amount and rarely give more than that[/COLOR]

[quote name='bmwsav44'][COLOR=red]Don't gather up all your ship photo's into a stack and place them back on the shelf to purchase later.[/COLOR]
Don't place your ship photo's on top of someone Else's photo's in order to be able to find them easier later.
Randall[/quote]

I also have to politely disagree with this statement. We do this on almost every cruise now, ever since we noticed the photo staff was doing just that by the end of the cruise. Less time and hassle hunting them down. I also discard immediately what we don't intend to purchase. This makes for less work for the photo staff in the long run. Never would we hide our pics behind or in front of other people's pictures. We're only going to buy one or two the last evening, why not narrow it down and have it in one place? Edit to add, we do avoid having shots taken of us (boarding, port pics and dinner table pics) that we know we will never purchase, cuts down on the blackmail photos.

Don't prop your balcony door open for any extended length of time because you don't feel the rules should apply to you. They ask you to not do this for a reason.

If you want info on that reason, go here: [URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1257402[/URL]

[quote name='Bars7816']
According to the fashionistas, [I]do not [/I], under any circumstances, wear white athletic shoes or fanny paks. You'll look like a dork! Pardon me while I polish up my white athletic shoes for the next cruise!! :D[/quote]

I agree. I totally have to wear shoes that support my poor arches for a full day walking on cobblestones. I don't worry about the fashionistas, :).

Before going to the Med last year I asked everyone what people were wearing in Italy, Spain, etc. Everyone gave me advice on how not to look like a tourist. Way off the mark. Just didn't want to look like a dork.

Once I got there I saw: 1. Fewer jeans and T-shirts and more capris and tailored shirts, solid colors but not bright, lots of neutrals. That's all I wanted to know.

Don't curse or use foul and vulgar language for others to hear.
Don't make a spectacle of yourself if you have a disagreement with the person or persons you are with so others hear.
Do smile and nod to others,they will feel better and so will you.
Again, as others have said: Treat the staff with good manners and kindness. They will appreciate it and that person may just need that as he or she may have had an encounter with a rude person.:)

[quote name='$npocket']i would like to know why you have to tip the bartenders if you are already being charged a 15% gratuity on the drink straight onto your s&s card..... that's double tipping

[/quote]

Yes, it is double tipping so do not do it. I find it incredibly convenient that I do not have to think a bit about a tip when served drinks. Just scribble that signature and that is it.

But, I highly recommend slipping some cash to your favorite bartender and get to know his name and get him to know yours.

Last cruise I was on, I was playing poker and my favorite bartender sent me a bucket of beers on ice, no charge. Also, got a number of freebies and reduced pricing on ordering for a group of people.

[quote name='johneeo']Yes, it is double tipping so do not do it. I find it incredibly convenient that I do not have to think a bit about a tip when served drinks. Just scribble that signature and that is it.

But, I highly recommend slipping some cash to your favorite bartender and get to know his name and get him to know yours.

Last cruise I was on, I was playing poker and my favorite bartender sent me a bucket of beers on ice, no charge. Also, got a number of freebies and reduced pricing on ordering for a group of people.[/quote]
Although I do NOT drink there is one thing I do know & that in life you need at least 3 of these friend's
1) a friend who knows cars inside & out (especially if you don't)
2) a computer geek when your puter crashes
3)someone with pro athlete connections
4)a bar tender friend
Fortunately I have the first 3:D

[quote name='TheBigEarl']I will pile on about the time issue for emphasis. ALWAYS wear a watch on shore, NEVER set it to anything but ship time, NEVER trust locals or their clocks about time, and [COLOR=red][B]ALWAYS take your real (not copied) passport anytime you leave the ship.[/B][/COLOR] The only thing worse than paying $1000 to catch up to the ship from a missed departure is being stranded in a foreign country with no way to prove your right to spend your money to catch back up to said ship

Now that I've scared you into wearing 4 watches - have a nice cruise :)[/quote]

[COLOR=red][B]Completely WRONG - [/B][I][B][SIZE=3]never[/SIZE][/B] [/I][B]take your passport off the ship.[/B] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=red](The only exeption is in St. Petersburg)[B] Leave it in your cabin safe. If you are injured, someone can retreive it for you. If you must, take a photocopy of your passport ashore.[/B][/COLOR]

I agree with the "don't take passport off the ship" folks. Our friends recently went cruising the Med and their passport got stolen while they were admiring the Colloseum. It was the worst nightmare and completely ruined the vacation. Do NOT take the passport with you. You do not need. ID (DL) is more then enough.

[quote name='RUBBER DUCK']Actually, I will contradict that one. I think most first timers pack too much. It does depend on your style and personality, but you will hear a lot on the more cruise line specific boards "lay out everything you want to bring, then take out half." Some people absolutely have to have different shoes with each outfit, or cannot fathom wearing the same skirt twice, even though it was for only 2 hours one evening.

I have found that for a 7 day cruise, I will bring 2 pairs of dress pants, 3 nice shirts, 4 t-shirts, 2 tank tops, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sandals, 2 swin trunks, 1 pr jean shorts, and maybe a sweatshirt. You can even go less, figuring if you buy souvenier clothes or a nice dress or 2 in port.

Sometime, I want to do a 7 day bringing on only my carryon of money and very basic essentials, and just buying the rest as I need it in port.[/quote]

Rubber duck...

might i suggest a nude cruise, and then you only need the clothes you walk on the ship with and can use those to exit the ship after the cruise.... LOL

[quote name='jordanaire'][B][COLOR=black]Best advice yet! First-timers will be astonished when they flush it for the first time![/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR=black][I][B][COLOR=black]7. [U]Do[/U] get to know a particular bar server during your cruise. Learn to call him/her by name and tip well. You MAY get a free drink or two during the cruise! Works for me![/COLOR][/B][/I]

[B]:cool:Bill[/B]

[/COLOR][/quote]

Bill
it has been my experience that when i first approach the bar, tip that bartender generously($10-20 depending on how many are in your party) and instantly your name and drink of choice is etched on his or her brain. Then when you approach that person again, often times your drink will be seated on teh bar before you sit in the chair. Normal tipping for the next few days will generally get me one or two free drinks during the last few days of the cruise. that first $10.00 or $20.00 was well worth it for a few free drinks

Don't worry about anyone else! HAVE FUN!

Here is a fun articles I wrote, just for you:
[URL="http://purpleslinky.com/humor/travel/top-10-stupid-questions-to-ask-on-a-cruise/"][B]Top 10 Stupid Questions To Ask On A Cruise[/B][/URL]

A simple thing that some forget. The ship staff and crew are working to cater to your every wish. Working 10 or more (usually) hours a day to make your stay with them as perfect as possible. Ungodly hours, extremely low pay, seven days a week for weeks on end. Don't treat them as your servants. A smile. A look in the eyes with a cheery hello. A hand shake here and there. This puts a little cheer into their day. Your cabin steward can be your best friend and still keep the potty clean. Get to know their story, their life, etc. (this has had some delightful results). A good tip over and above the normal charge by the cruise line and respectful treatment has gained us such things as unexpected fruit dish, dish of cheese and crackers, flowers for the wife. You just never know. I would not have their job for the world, while they try to make my world a little better for me.

[quote name='mistory']Don't get back on the boat late!!!!!:D[/QUOTE]

If you get back on the boat late then you swam to catch it or rode out on the harbor pilot boat. Be back ahead of time because they will leave without you.

I have been on one cruise before, but this is the first for Dan and I together, and the first at all for him.

One of the things I learned the hard way is that if the photographers have taken a truly great picture of you, BUY IT. Back then my (now ex) husband didn't want to waste the money on the portraits, and assumed that we would have just as good of pictures on our own (non digital) camera. We didn't. There was one of the two of us that was seriously better than any of our wedding pictures even, and he talked me out of it. Turns out, since we're divorced now, that it's not such a big deal, but still...if Dan and I have a few pictures taken that are just awesome, I don't particularly care how much they cost.

I love this thread a whole bunch!

[quote name='Harry and Lucille']A simple thing that some forget. The ship staff and crew are working to cater to your every wish. Working 10 or more (usually) hours a day to make your stay with them as perfect as possible. Ungodly hours, extremely low pay, seven days a week for weeks on end. Don't treat them as your servants. A smile. A look in the eyes with a cheery hello. A hand shake here and there. This puts a little cheer into their day. Your cabin steward can be your best friend and still keep the potty clean. Get to know their story, their life, etc. (this has had some delightful results). A good tip over and above the normal charge by the cruise line and respectful treatment has gained us such things as unexpected fruit dish, dish of cheese and crackers, flowers for the wife. You just never know. I would not have their job for the world, while they try to make my world a little better for me.[/quote]

Isn't it sad to think that some people actually need to be reminded to treat other humans with respect, regardless of their profession? I'm so glad you decided to post this. I am anxiously awaiting my first cruise and I will be sure to remind myself of this post daily. I am generally a very grateful person anyway so it shouldn't be hard. :)

[quote name='kitty62']I agree with the "don't take passport off the ship" folks. Our friends recently went cruising the Med and their passport got stolen while they were admiring the Colloseum. It was the worst nightmare and completely ruined the vacation. Do NOT take the passport with you. You do not need. ID (DL) is more then enough.[/QUOTE]

What if you don't have a drivers license?

Archived