Help with our itinerary (seems simple, but...)

melish27

Hi all. We're heading on a 5-day out of NJ, which means 2 days in Bermuda, which really means 1 1/2 days ("dock" at 9 am Monday--through Customs by 10?--back on board by 4 pm Tuesday). We're trying to figure out how to do 3 things given timing and transport: Horseshoe Bay Beach, the Caves, a helmet dive (likely Hartley's).

Current plan: Day 1, off the ship (10 am?), Dockyard to HSB for the morning, then lunch ... somewhere ... en route to Caves (no direct bus means transfer in Hamilton, right? How much travel time?). Then Caves to Hamilton or St. George, ferry back to dockyard. (But I've read Caves in late afternoon = long waits, so is this a bad idea? Should we reverse it: Caves in morning, HSB afternoon?) Day 2: Hang around Dockyard, helmet dive at 12:15, back to ship after. (Other dive choice that day is 8:15, but dragging 13-y.o. daughter out that early on vacation--or me, for that matter;)--probably ain't happening.)

(Original plan was Day 1 ferry to SG, helmet dive w/Peppercorn [2 hrs vs. Hartley's 4, and cost less], lunch at White Horse or Swizzle, Caves in afternoon, SG ferry back; HSB on Day 2. But we probably can't catch Dockyard-SG ferry till 10 am, and Peppercorn's rep isn't as good as Hartley's.)

Any thoughts on how to traverse this Bermudian triangle? Thanks.

The swizzle is on the opposite side of the street of the caves. The crystal caves were very nice. I would go take the ferry to Hamilton, switch to the bus to the caves, walk over to the swizzle for lunch and then take the bus to the beach. There are places to change at the beach. Then take the bus back to the dockyards. Walk around the dockyards that night. If there are enough people there will be a special bus to the cruise ships (direct). The next morning I would do Hartleys. Have a great time.

I agree with the itinerary provided by the previous poster.

An estimate of travel times for the various legs are: direct ferry to & from Hamilton from & to the Dockyard, about 20-25 minutes; route #10 or #11 bus, Hamilton to & from caves, about 30-35 minutes. Option here, the #10 & #11 bus does not go by the caves but has a stop at the Swizzle Inn and then about a 5 minute walk from there to the caves. A route #3 bus goes by the caves but the ride is about 5-7 minutes longer; route #7 bus from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay, about 20-25 minutes; a route #7 bus, from HSB to the Dockyard, about 35 minutes.

For your transportation needs, I would suggestion you buy a transportation pass which is good for both the bus and ferry. Passes are available for 1, 2, or 3 days and give you unlimited rides for the number of days purchased. Also, bus stops are indicated by either pink or blue poles. Buses are either outbound from Hamilton or inbound to Hamilton. A pink pole stop would be for a bus inbound to Hamilton; a blue pole stop would be a stop for a bus outbound from Hamilton. The bus terminal is located up the hill from the ferry dock.

Remember that swimsuits are frowned upon on public transportation and you could be denied boarding. HSB has changing rooms.

Any times provided exclude waiting times.

SBtS

Thanks to both of you--very helpful. I've also come to understand that the "9 a.m." docking time in the official Royal Caribbean itinerary is only a guideline and that others have arrived and disembarked much earlier--so we may be able to catch an earlier ferry to Hamilton than I'd thought. Which is good, because when I mentioned the travel options, my wife asked how much time we'd get to spend in Hamilton, and now the answer I can give seems better than, "Uh, however long it takes to get from the ferry to the bus.":o

Archived