Is there adequate storage space in a 2B cabin?

Jo and Rob

We will be going on the Celebrity Eclipse next year and wondered how much storage space there is as there will be four of us in one cabin. The layout looks similar to the E1 on RCI which was fine (but it was just me and the two children for 3 days!!)

I'm just wondering how we will cope with clothes for 2 adults and 2 children for 14 nights.

:confused:

You went with Celebrity then in the end???

Space in the cabin will be tight. You have a balcony, right? Storage space is very limited, to be honest. The cabins are beautiful, but not large and there is little drawer space. The balcony will be important... It sounds like you have a drop down bunk in the cabin for one of the kids and the other will use the sofa bed.

We manage with one child in these cabins but I cannot say they are the most spacious we've ever been in. However, the ship will hopefully make up for the tight quarters.... We will be on the Eclipse in four weeks.

The children will be 9 and 6 when we sail and will share a sofa bed. We thought that would be easier than a bunk with a ladder. Yes the cabin does have a balcony which I think will make all the difference in terms of space and the Med should be hot and sunny in July so I expect we will get a lot of use! It is not like trying to squeeze 2 teenagers into the cabin with us thank goodness, my two don't need a lot of "bathroom time" to get ready. I think the problem is going to be where to put the clothes!!

Can you ask for more hangers or do people pack extra? Also, can you get dressing gowns? I asked for one and got it on Indy despite being in a really basic balcony cabin.

They bring as many hanger as you wish. We did a 10day/14day B2B with two of us and did fine.

Many people have said they found the drawer space limited and smaller closets - concur the closets are smaller than M-Class, but were Ok for us. As to drawer space, there are two very large storage bins above the bed that take a lot. Some complained because the bins are not 'handy' and older people had problems accessing them, but the bins hold a lot of stuff. We'd put our cothes we planned to use the next 4-5 days in handy drawers and store the rest above and then move it down as needed.

With dirty clothes, we put them in our suitcases (as we did items not used daily) under the bed. You can fit most suitcases there unless they are 'expanded'.

So I think you'll do fine with storage - just have to manipulate it a bit. We loved our Balcony and didn't spend a lot of time sitting in the room anyway, so I bet it works great. I kind of like the 'feel' of a standard cabin - I'm not taking a cruise so I can bring my 'livingroom/bedroom' with me, love being in a ship cabin with the neat economical use of space.

But of course, I spent months at sea in a 'cabin' about the size of a closet with another guy! And my sailors had bunks that were so close they felt like sardines!

Denny

The children will be 9 and 6 when we sail and will share a sofa bed. We thought that would be easier than a bunk with a ladder. Yes the cabin does have a balcony which I think will make all the difference in terms of space and the Med should be hot and sunny in July so I expect we will get a lot of use! It is not like trying to squeeze 2 teenagers into the cabin with us thank goodness, my two don't need a lot of "bathroom time" to get ready. I think the problem is going to be where to put the clothes!!

Can you ask for more hangers or do people pack extra? Also, can you get dressing gowns? I asked for one and got it on Indy despite being in a really basic balcony cabin.

WAIT!!!! You need to rethink this right now... Have you seen the sofa bed???? It isn't a foldout sofa bed!! It is a horizontal couch that has a mattress topper put on top of it. It sleeps one person, definitely NOT TWO.... Who on earth made that booking for you for four people?????

You absolutely, positively NEED a cabin with a pop down bunk. It pops down above the couch, effectively making bunk beds at night. Two children cannot sleep on one sofa bed, unless they're toddlers My daughter filled the sofa bed by herself and she's a healthy sized almost 9 year old.

I think you need a new travel agent... Did an agent actualyl make that booking for you???No-one in their right mind would choose a cabin built for three, for four people.

Please, please re-visit this ASAP... You re going to be in for a nasty shock when you get on board and find there is no room for one of your kids to sleep. These sofa beds are not like sofa beds on other cruise ships which fold out!

Thanks Denny, do the storage bins appear in all cabins? Do you have a picture?

Scrapchick thank you for your concern. I have been thinking about the upper berth since our Indy trip as it wasn't a problem from a head room point of view about the beds and wondered whether it might be prudent to have it anyway in case the children annoy each other in the same bed.

I got straight on the phone (the advantage of online booking!!) and my contact is on holiday for a week so my call went straight through to a colleague. She looked into it and the sofa bed is a double that sleeps two. However I have changed the booking to a cabin with an upper berth and double sofa bed so problem solved! ;)

Scrapchick thank you for your concern. I have been thinking about the upper berth since our Indy trip as it wasn't a problem from a head room point of view about the beds and wondered whether it might be prudent to have it anyway in case the children annoy each other in the same bed.

I got straight on the phone (the advantage of online booking!!) and my contact is on holiday for a week so my call went straight through to a colleague. She looked into it and the sofa bed is a double that sleeps two. However I have changed the booking to a cabin with an upper berth and double sofa bed so problem solved! ;)

Thank you - nice when OPs come back and lets us know what they think and how they took the subjective advice we provide! With your new cabin, you have more flexibility now - Scrapchick helped us all! We took our teen daughter on a TA and shared a SR. She told me not to worry, that she would stay out of the cabin as long as we 'needed privacy' - she did, but she forgot to mention she'd not get up until noon or 1pm! That sprawled body on the sofa made if fun. We had a great time though.

Most all the cabins (nonsuites) are pretty much the same - all have the Bins (as far as i know!). No photo right now. There is a difference with some have the bed near the veranada and others near the back wall. Someone can tell you what you have with an upper berth.

Denny

I am so glad... I really think you would have made a terrible mistake the other way. And I'm sorry to be such a PITA, but I have no idea what a double sofa bed is in those cabins... I know from our Equinox trip that it was simply a wide sofa with a mattress pad on top which made into one long very narrow bed. It simply will NOT sleep two kids.

I don't know what you've been told....

If you give me your e-mail add I will send you a link to new pics of the Eclipse that I was given and that link has some great cabin pics which will show you exactly what you will be dealing with.

We will have a pull down bunk in our Eclipse cabin, just by random assignment and our DD is over the moon because she wants to sleep in a bunk bed. It recesses into the ceiling when not in use. It might work out better than having the couch be commandeered into a bed.

I've never tried to link to a page here before so I hope this works... Check out the cabins halfway down showing the couch. Imagine a mattress pad on top of that. You have a long, narrow bed for one person. There is not room for two people and no room in the cabin for a "double sofa bed", whatever that is. I know what it means on other cruise lines. I do not think it applies on Celebrity, on this ship, in these cabins You can also see the storage units above the beds too.

http://www.beyondships.com/Celebrity-Eclipse-Tour-6.html

Exactly. The pull down bunk recesses into the ceiling above the couch, not the double bed.

Even better, this was our only concern about the upper berth. Having sailed on Indy however I was reassured as the bunk was also hidden in the ceiling (so well hidden I phoned housekeeping as I was concerned we had been allocated the wrong room as I couldn't see the bunk in the walls!!)

I've never tried to link to a page here before so I hope this works... Check out the cabins halfway down showing the couch. Imagine a mattress pad on top of that. You have a long, narrow bed for one person. There is not room for two people and no room in the cabin for a "double sofa bed", whatever that is. I know what it means on other cruise lines. I do not think it applies on Celebrity, on this ship, in these cabins You can also see the storage units above the beds too.

http://www.beyondships.com/Celebrity-Eclipse-Tour-6.html

I thought that some of those couches had a bedframe underneath that could pop up. Maybe that's what they are saying - really a narrow couch and a trundle bed underneath.

I thought that some of those couches had a bedframe underneath that could pop up. Maybe that's what they are saying - really a narrow couch and a trundle bed underneath.

I think I saw a pic of this and described as the double.

T

Think you're going to be a lot happier with your cabin change, storage is tight, however, even for just two people, about 2 meters hanging space, with shelf above, & floor space below, 2 storage spaces above bed, we had our clothing packed in little packing cubes, so these worked well for us, & 3 very small drawers in tv/vanity area. There was also a decent sized cabinet next to the vanity that I put all my makeup, blow-dryer, flatiron, etc in, but I think they have now moved the safe to that area. We brought quite a few over the door hooks as well as 2 hanging mesh laundry bags. Maybe plan on bringing less clothing & sending out laundry each day.

Archived