Spirit Pilot Stike

mistery_cruiser

I feel bad for those that have their vacations booked with Spirit, but unfortunately as another poster has stated - Spirit does not have any reciprocal agreements with any other airlines. None of the airlines will honor your tickets.

This is not the airlines fault. This can be blamed on the governments strict oversight of the Antitrust rules.

There are several low cost carriers that fall under this rule. Allegiant and Apple Vacations. If they go under, it's at the other airlines sole disrection to honor any sort of tickets.

Lessons learned a little too late. Always book within the main line carriers for coverage. Yes, Southwest and Jetblue have some sort of agreements with other airlines.

Half the working population has taken a pay cut just to keep their job. The other half has had the same salary for the last 3 years. And you say 30% over 5 years isn't much? Must be nice.

Do you make $19,000 a year? 30% of that is not much.

Do you believe that the pilot flying your plane that has had to go through years and years of flying and school is not worth more than $19,000?

I really feel for all those folks trying to get to San Juan for their Victory cruise. We did that last year at Christmas time, and thousands of passengers missed embarkation due to bad weather on the east coast. We only made it because we flew in to Orlando a couple of days ahead of time (because I was too cheap to take a direct flight from Chicago- good thing).

I will normally drive the 24 hours to Miami instead of flying, but there isn't any way to drive to Puerto Rico. :D

I've never flown Spirit before, but decided to give it a try for my Victory cruise in 2 weeks. I hope this gets sorted out before then, or my vacation will be cancelled. UGH

Just a helpful hint, start calling around the airlines now - because San Juan is not one port you can just drive to.

The air industruy if full of OVER worked under paid pilots. It seems when we read about a plane crash of a commuter aircraft you find out the pilot was working LONG hours and making $19 to $24,0000 per year! Sad very sad that the general public still believes that Airline Pilots are making $300+ a year.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (government site) about pilots in general, not Spirit Airlines specifically. You can check the link if you want.

http://www.bls.gov/k12/science03.htm

How much does this job pay?

In May 2008, pilots had average yearly wages of $119,750. Pilots may be paid extra for flying at night or for flying to other countries. Usually, pilots who fly a jet aircraft for large airlines earn more than other pilots.

How many jobs are there?

There were about 76,000 pilots, copilots, and flight engineers outside of the military in 2008.

So, if Spirit pilots make $19000 per year there have to be a lot pilots out there making $300000 a year to keep the average up around $120000.

Hours is not the issue here. These pilots can't get a job somewhere else because NOBODY is hiring. At this point in time, most pilots at Spirit currently fulfill the hour requirements to fly at any major airline, but they have to stay at Spirit because there are no other jobs. In fact there are thousands and thousands of pilots out there that have been laid off and can't get a job anywhere. Management knows that and that's why they've been unwilling to negotiate. Their attitude has been "put up with it or leave" very well knowing that their pilots don't have anywhere to go to.

HELLO!!! All the more reason for them to stay in tough times. If mt son or husband went out on strike (none of them are actually union members) during these economic times, I' kick their ars. How irresponsible is that group of pilots? I'll bet laid off pilots are lining up to get those jobs.

HELLO!!! All the more reason for them to stay in tough times. If mt son or husband went out on strike (none of them are actually union members) during these economic times, I' kick their ars. How irresponsible is that group of pilots? I'll bet laid off pilots are lining up to get those jobs.

Not at $19,000 a year they are not. All the laid off pilots are from the majors and were making more than that. The laid off pilots actually make more money sitting at home on unemployment than they would if they took that flying job.

So see, it's merely a matter of the fact that company cannot continue to pay such low rates.

Now if your son or husband have a college degree and 1000 hours of flying time, they are more than welcome to apply to any one of the low end carriers. Do you think they would?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (government site) about pilots in general, not Spirit Airlines specifically. You can check the link if you want.

In May 2008, pilots had average yearly wages of $119,750
. Pilots may be paid extra for flying at night or for flying to other countries. Usually, pilots who fly a jet aircraft for large airlines earn more than other pilots.

How many jobs are there?

There were about 76,000 pilots, copilots, and flight engineers outside of the military in 2008.

So, if Spirit pilots make $19000 per year there have to be a lot pilots out there making $300000 a year to keep the average up around $120000.

[These are the majors (American, Delta, Southwest). Not a regional carrier or smaller carrier like Spirit!

Whenever a pilot leaves a company they got to the bottom of the pay scale with their new company. Starting pay at ANY airline is peanuts! More peanuts when they are smaller. Pay raises do not happen for newer pilots until the older ones start moving on or retiring (which isn't happen due to the economy) and they can move into the captain seat, verses the co-pilot.

These numbers you are quoting are coming from captains pay, not co-pilots (ie, the $19,000 a year jobs)

[These are the majors (American, Delta, Southwest). Not a regional carrier or smaller carrier like Spirit!

Whenever a pilot leaves a company they got to the bottom of the pay scale with their new company. Starting pay at ANY airline is peanuts! More peanuts when they are smaller. Pay raises do not happen for newer pilots until the older ones start moving on or retiring (which isn't happen due to the economy) and they can move into the captain seat, verses the co-pilot.

These numbers you are quoting are coming from captains pay, not co-pilots (ie, the $19,000 a year jobs)

The BLS site is for pilots in general. It doesn't stipulate major airlines, but, it does say some pilots may fly helicopters, other might fly cargo, so, it is not specifically about major or minor airlines. Still $119,750 average is pretty nice. I wouldn't mind having that. But, regardless whether it is 19,000 or 119,000, 30% pay increase is also pretty nice.

And, if they are really paid $19,000, then at some point they were happy with that. Otherwise they would not have accepted the job. Now all of a sudden $25000 (30% increase) isn't enough?

So, Spirit should encourage to move on where they can get a job they'll be happy with. Or, maybe make all that money in unemployment benefits.

And, if they are really paid $19,000, then at some point they were happy with that.

Thats what I was wondering ...suddenly someone claims these pilots are all being paid $19K or so. Where did this figure come from, can it be documented?

Someone said NO other carriers honoring spirit tickets, but this says differently.

Spirit tickets are only good on a handful of other carriers, and only if there's space on the flight. The airline said it was refunding fares for Saturday flights plus a $100 credit toward future flights.

Information being posted here, is contradictory to what the news articles are saying.

Thats what I was wondering ...suddenly someone claims these pilots are all being paid $19K or so. Where did this figure come from, can it be documented?

Someone said NO other carriers honoring spirit tickets, but this says differently.

Information being posted here, is contradictory to what the news articles are saying.

Yep, I have a paycheck - is that documentation enough?

I love when I get called a liar by people who are ignorant to whole topic.

IMO the only people that understand this situation completely are those that are involed in the aviation industry. The aviation industry in like no other and the people that fly are a "different" sort. Pilots often take jobs for low pay and less then perfect hours just to get their foot in the door. Jobs in this market almost any aviation market are few and they are less and less each year. The guys and gals works long hours and some make less than the "pay scale" that has been posted here. They do it to get a job in hopes over improving there pay later and these days it is MUCH later than they think.

It was mentioned in the scale that was listed ~ average for all and not specific to airline, helicopter etc. WELL I wish my husband that has been flying a helicopters for 43 years made the money listed on that scale! He has flown corporate, rich people and now Medivac and believe me he does not make the money listed in the "scale" listed in a previous post. Pay and experience in the aviaiton business does NOT go hand in hand.

Yep, I have a paycheck - is that documentation enough?

I love when I get called a liar by people who are ignorant to whole topic.

I didnt say anyone was a liar ... so you are a pilot for Spirit you are saying. I asked if the amount could be documented ...I will take your word for it, if you say you work for the airlines ...good to know, thanks...but no thanks for putting words in my mouth...obviously this is a emotional issue for you for you to react this way.

This is where I got the information from that spirit tickets were honored on a handfull of other carriers ... I put it in quotes showing it was quoted, not my own statement.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37663236/ns/travel-news/

before you call names (like calling someone ignorant because you are so upset), you might calm down and talk a little more rationally. Calling someone ignorant reflects poorly on your ability to be professional if you are a pilot.

I used to fly Spirit on a regular basis, as I'm only an hour from Atlantic City and they have frequent flights out of there. But my last flight with them was so very unpleasant (I'm only 5'3", but my knees hit the back of the seat in front of me-- so uncomfortable!) that I swore I'd never fly with them again. When they started charging for carry-ons, that just put the icing on the cake!

I feel very sorry for any cruisers (or even non-cruisers) who have had their plans turned topsy-turvy by this strike.

I bought insurance on 5/19, but my flight doesn't leave until 8/27.

I wonder what happens if the airline goes out of business?

It means you don't fly on that airline. As to what your insurance coverages in that case, you'd have to read your policy. First, make sure Spirit Air was even covered. I know Travel Guard excluded Spirit Air from coverage as of 11 May 2010.

I cruise on late August. I certainly hope this is resolved. My biggest concern is the company going under.

I cannot imagine them pilots striking for 2+ months, but what do I know :rolleyes:

... once again ..I'm quoting, not my own words (before someone gets all upset and starts name calling.)

Spirit's CEO said no talks were scheduled with picketing pilots, and a union leader said the pilots "will not return to the cockpit until a fair and equitable contract is negotiated."

The last strike at a major carrier was in 2005, when Northwest Airlines mechanics walked off the job rather than accept deep pay cuts. The strike failed after Northwest replaced them.

So, far it doesn't look like management is willing to talk.

I checked the paperwork and didn't see anything about an exclusion. The office opens tomorrow. I 'll give them a call.

Worst case scenario would be that we would drive. It would be 16+ hours, but better than paying $553 for a refundable fare. I will keep a close eye on this situation.

In May 2008, pilots had average yearly wages of $119,750. Pilots may be paid extra for flying at night or for flying to other countries. Usually, pilots who fly a jet aircraft for large airlines earn more than other pilots.

How many jobs are there?

It doesn't say if these stats are from private or commercial or corporate jobs, but it does also include helicopter pilots.

"Pilots fly airplanes and helicopters to do many jobs. Most pilots fly people and cargo from place to place. Some pilots test new planes, fight fires, do police work, or rescue people who are hurt or in danger."

So I'm going to say these stats don't really give us much information for this thread because these stats aren't ONLY for commercial pilots who work for airlines.

Archived